Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jimwagner2
Hello All, what are the dress codes there? We are going for 10 nights, trying to figure out what to pack. Its for our honey moon, thank you for all the help already Maldives Freak!
from a lady's perspective

- shorts and linen button shirts for men and sundress/dress/skirt for ladies seems to work except for wine cellar and wine/cheese bar areas - I've worn linen pants and taken a sweater (and socks as silly as it sounds .. I love the cheese fondue but it is cool there !).

bathing suit and bathing suit cover ups for ladies - swim trunks and tees/polos for men
Both might want tee shirt to swim in if you snorkel /swim/water activities a lot

I pack shoes but am barefoot 95% of the time ... maybe sandal flip flops for ladies for hot wooden bridge ... something for men for hot wooden bridge

Hat sunglasses sunblock ( as everyone mentions that sun block is $30+ /bottle at CR

Just a few thoughts off top of head

have a fantastic time !!!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:07 pm

We're back in the States and have a few observations:

The bad:

Since we arrived late into MLE, we booked a night at H78, which was fine. The rate was under $100 per night, and they picked up and dropped off at the airport. We were scheduled on an early seaplane flight, so when we got to the airport, we sat around waiting for the rest of the group, then sat around some more, then taken to the lounge, and we didn't even get to go in because they said it was time for the flight (which was fine--get to CRI as early as possible). Our host greeted us at the seaplane landing, took us to check in, only for us to find out the room won't be ready until 2pm. It was 10am and we were starving. I asked to have breakfast at Atoll, which they had to check with multiple people, but the right answer was gotten, we sat down to eat but only a limited time (10:30 closing), then went back to the lobby area to wait and wait some more. Got into the room by 1pm, thankfully, but by that point, we were exhausted from travel and waiting that we stayed in our SWV until tea time.

I echo everyone else, the tea food was lacking, but good to have a bite mid-afternoon.

Our SWV was great, but the sun was so intense that the deck was useless. When we were in the villa, we just stayed inside and we only used the hot tub in the mornings when the sun is on the opposite side.

Snorkeling on the SWV side was not good. The water was too shallow and the coral all dead. Very little sea life. Snorkeling on the house reef was good, but it's quite a hike from the SWV side. We found a great little snorkel site on the north west point off the main island, across from Mandhoo.

The good:

Our host saw us and talked to us almost every day when we were around the lobby.

We did the adventure snorkel, which was expensive, but we got to see manta and whale shark. Lunch at Ithaa, dinner at Sunset Grill, Maldivian Infinity Dinner and Lobster & Champagne were very good, but expensive. The staff was tremendous, everyone was super nice and accommodating.

For our last night, we transferred to a Beach Villa (long story short--our return flight DEL>YVR was moved out by a day by AC, so rather than spending a day in Delhi, we decided to buy an extra room at CRI). We asked at the front desk to have us go straight to the villa rather than having us wait around for it to be available, and they ended up upgrading us to the renovated DBV, which was just absolutely spectacular. It was the perfect way to end the trip. I wish we had that room the whole time, it was huge, plenty of space for the Mrs. and me, and the backyard plunge pool was in the shade most of the day, where I spent almost all of the last 24 hours of the trip. I know the prevailing advice is to go from Beach to Overwater, but my would argue otherwise. The views from the SWV were great, but with the intensity of the sun, we hid indoors a lot.

The last item is that the staff were really great, they chatted with us about their lives, what it's like to work at CRI and told us about the Staff Island.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:26 pm

Thanks for the write up! If the SWV are bad for sea life/snorkeling anyone know what's the best option?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by mikewhyatt
Thanks for the write up! If the SWV are bad for sea life/snorkeling anyone know what's the best option?
I would suggest staying in a beach villa for snorkeling, or one of the large overwater villas off the north tip of the main island. On the east, sunrise side, is where the house reef is, and there's some great fish to see there and in the dropoff on the outside of the reef. The snorkeling was really easy, BTW, we experienced very little current for most of the days we were there, which meant that we could just float above and see all the fish swim around. On our last day, we stayed on the sunset side (126) and the small reef to the northwest of the beach villa island was a short swim away.

There is obviously something magical about staying in an overwater villa, I don't want to discount that. My wife and I have done it twice before in Bora Bora, and it's a real treat to swim right off your deck and the views are spectacular. I just found the DBV that we got to be more user-friendly, and you get TONS more space.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by alf55555
We're back in the States and have a few observations:

It was 10am and we were starving. I asked to have breakfast at Atoll, which they had to check with multiple people, but the right answer was gotten, we sat down to eat but only a limited time (10:30 closing), then went back to the lobby area to wait and wait some more. Got into the room by 1pm, thankfully, but by that point, we were exhausted from travel and waiting that we stayed in our SWV until tea time..
Is it typically ok to have breakfast the morning of arrival if you take the first flight over? Obviously having Diamond status, or a breakfast package included.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by mendezka
Is it typically ok to have breakfast the morning of arrival if you take the first flight over? Obviously having Diamond status, or a breakfast package included.
What didn't make sense was that if a villa were ready, they would have allowed us to eat. So it shouldn't be bad luck that without a villa number to give to the server, we shouldn't get to eat. This is not a situation where we wandered in off the streets and are asking for a free meal--they decided when to bring us over, and had we stayed in the lounge at MLE, we would have eaten in the lounge.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
What didn't make sense was that if a villa were ready, they would have allowed us to eat. So it shouldn't be bad luck that without a villa number to give to the server, we shouldn't get to eat. This is not a situation where we wandered in off the streets and are asking for a free meal--they decided when to bring us over, and had we stayed in the lounge at MLE, we would have eaten in the lounge.
Strange. When we arrived, our room was not ready so we went to Ufaa for lunch - without a room number - it was all OK.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Strange. When we arrived, our room was not ready so we went to Ufaa for lunch - without a room number - it was all OK.
Right, but you were paying for Uffa, the OP was talking about having breakfast which would be comped as a gold/diamond member.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by JRV62

Right, but you were paying for Uffa, the OP was talking about having breakfast which would be comped as a gold/diamond member.
In fairness to the hotel (and any hotel), your comped breakfast comes the morning AFTER your check-in day. Not hours before you check-in, even if you get early check-in.

Now don’t get me wrong, I think they should let you go each a some eggs, toast and juice for “free”. It’s called good customer service at effectively no cost (since the food is already out on the buffet).

TD
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hilton, IHG
Hey everyone,

I originally planned to stay in Sri Lanka for two days before traveling to the Maldives. Well, the girlfriend got her HH points and we changed our mind and are staying for 7 nights in an overwater bungalow instead of 5 nights.

The downfall is there was only availability to Sri Lanka on AA points, so we originally booked from ORD->LHR->BAH->CMB... and now need to book to MLE. I was curious if anyone flew from Bahrain to CMB to MLE before and if so, did you take the 720am flight to Male? We are wanting to book our flight from CMB->MLE at 720am, but we land from Bahrain at 545am and are worried about the connections, but are sticking only to carry ons. We understand if we miss the connection we would be likely out of pocket on Sri Lankan Air, despite them servicing the Bahrain to CMB flight and at risk of the later flight being fully booked during high season (Nov11-18)

Our other option is to take a 125pm flight to Male, but then we don’t land until 220pm and worry if there are any delays it may push us close to missing the last seaplane to the Conrad. We also would miss the whole day in the Maldives and get in near sun down.

Does anyone have any advice on what you would do in this situation? We are stumped.. we will be booking business regardless from CMB to MLE to take advantage of the two carry ons to eliminate picking up bags or having bags lost. But I don’t think that will necessarily help us if we miss the connection.

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JRV62
Receiving breakfast on arrival is at the goodwill of the hotel.

I commented it is as strange that the OP could not eat because they did not have a room assigned - regardless if it is free meal or not.

But going back a bit more, the OP suggested they did "we sat down to eat but only a limited time (10:30am closing)" So it appears they ate, but did they get charged for it? That the OP can answer if s/he chooses. If it was comped, then good hotel.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:27 am

I guess your host was new or just not familiar with this situation as it almost never gets brought up.

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
In fairness to the hotel (and any hotel), your comped breakfast comes the morning AFTER your check-in day. Not hours before you check-in, even if you get early check-in.
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Receiving breakfast on arrival is at the goodwill of the hotel.
Not exactly. Technically speaking, because the resort provides a free lounge service which includes F&B on arrival, they should provide it at the resort if guests are unable to attend the lounge for reasons beyond their control (TMA schedule). Continental breakast at least (or equivalent), not full. But since it would be pretty stingy to let guests into Atoll Market and tell them they're allowed continental only, they give you the whole shabang.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by divinebaboon
By the way, do you just email them saying it will be a honeymoon trip and bring a copy of your marriage certificate to show at checkin? Or is there anything else that needs to be done?
Yes, that's all you need.

Originally Posted by konaflyer
Vilu replaced the chocolate dessert with another one which was underwhelming IMO.
That's disappointing. And that new dessert looks a bit of a mess if you ask me. May well be a reasonably good tasting mess, but not really something I'd be super keen to try if I saw it on a menu - it just looks too much like.....well, how wouId I describe it.....'a carnival on a plate' may be a good description. I wouldn't know what it was supposed to taste like with all that different stuff on it, LOL. Anyway, I have a solution; I will let them know in advance we'll be having a chocolate fondant every couple of days on our upcoming 30-night visit. I wouldn't want the pastry chefs there to forget how to make them.....not just for my personal benefit, but all the CMRI regulars as well.

Originally Posted by konaflyer
I want to thank you, MaldivesFreak, for all your info and comments on this board. They really convinced me to come to the Conrad and not another hotel I had reservations at. I LOVED the Conrad. I don't think I could find a more tranquil setting with such attentive, caring staff. If I return to the Maldives (which I certainly hope to do), I would just return to the Conrad. It far exceeded my expectations. We had just a basic sunset facing OWV, and it was wonderful.
You're welcome. And I get a couple of pins removed from my voodoo doll. You're awesome!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:20 am

Have there been any updates/rumors around the CMRI leaving Hilton? I'm looking to book an award stay for early 2020 and wondering if I should also book the Park Hyatt or another resort as a backup plan. Would hate to get close to the date and then lose my reservation.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
You and your 30 day stay MF!!!!!! I’m not jealous AT ALL!!! (Yeah right, I’m so jealous!) Our 2 week stay seems so short in comparison

Well I’ll be getting ahead of you with the Vilu chocolate fondant - they’ll be getting plenty of requests for the fondant while we are there so they won’t be forgetting how to make it any time soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.