Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:12 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Please do post pics if you guys can.
Better take video of the invasion, preferably with a drone*

That said, the Conrad isn't Disneyland and allowing any cruise ship to stop there for the day is definitely not OK. I would be disgusted to have my day/stay ruined because of these cruise people.

* maybe do not use a drone
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:13 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jmhintonjr

Good luck, hey don’t publish their route.

To others, the ship is scheduled to leave at midnight.

Staff are working double shifts. There are men in speedos sitting deep inside Rangali bar, others have their snorkeling equipment up on the bar.

It’s is a freaking zoo.

As another guest stated eloquently, it takes years to build a reputation, and hours to destroy it.

Put yourself in our shoes. Is it worth traveling so far, spending so much, and giving up so many other options to subject yourself to this?

Ita getting worse by the minute...
Thank you for the update; it sounds really really awful.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:17 am

I think us regulars will need to keep an eye on this cruise ship's route.
The World doesn’t publish its specific routing, at least when I checked today I didn’t see “Conrad Rangali” or any other destination within the Maldives.

The staff and management obviously new about all this ahead of time but did zero to talk about it with guests ahead of time.

It is the talk of Tea/Happy Hour at Vilu. The staff is finally starting to turn cruise guests away, with many of them trying to partake.

A small but telling issue, wifi is now unavailable or at a crawl.

Pictures coming!!!

Last edited by jmhintonjr; Feb 14, 2019 at 3:51 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:25 am

This is completely unacceptable.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
On a total tangent to the current cruise ship invasion (I bet ye are counting down the minutes / seconds until the clock strikes midnight), for those of you who brought kids with you - did you need to bring a kid’s car seat for the transfer to the Conrad seaplane terminal?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: delta, american, Hilton Diamond
My wife and I thought we were the only ones. Here is what I saw today:

People stripping down to their underwear to go swimming (and it didn't stay on very well or at all in one case)
The beach looked like a New York sidewalk with people all day long, no peace and quiet.
People window peeking into the beach villas and taking pictures of what they saw there. I have no idea if they saw people, but I ran into one guy on my path and told him to GFO.
Snorklers standing on the reef, walking on the reef, breaking off pieces of coral to play catch with.
Trash left all over the beaches.
There wasn't a seat to be had at the pool, Rangali Bar or the Quiet Zone, which wasn't quiet.

What a flipping disaster. My wife and I decided we are never coming back. Though we are here on points, they are still valuable. If I wanted a Holiday Inn experience, I would have gone to a Holiday Inn. I can only imagine what tonight is going to be like.

I am e-mailing the Diamond Desk right now. Everyone else who is here, or who has a reservation in the future, should do the same.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by pineapple_09
On a total tangent to the current cruise ship invasion (I bet ye are counting down the minutes / seconds until the clock strikes midnight), for those of you who brought kids with you - did you need to bring a kid’s car seat for the transfer to the Conrad seaplane terminal?
I have kids and would be perfectly comfortabke holding them in my lap or not using a car seat. As I recall there is nothing to strap it in anyway and in many ways I find the takeoff, flight and landing to be smoother than commercial aviation.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by stormbandit
My wife and I thought we were the only ones. Here is what I saw today:

People stripping down to their underwear to go swimming (and it didn't stay on very well or at all in one case)
The beach looked like a New York sidewalk with people all day long, no peace and quiet.
People window peeking into the beach villas and taking pictures of what they saw there. I have no idea if they saw people, but I ran into one guy on my path and told him to GFO.
Snorklers standing on the reef, walking on the reef, breaking off pieces of coral to play catch with.
Trash left all over the beaches.
There wasn't a seat to be had at the pool, Rangali Bar or the Quiet Zone, which wasn't quiet.

What a flipping disaster. My wife and I decided we are never coming back. Though we are here on points, they are still valuable. If I wanted a Holiday Inn experience, I would have gone to a Holiday Inn. I can only imagine what tonight is going to be like.

I am e-mailing the Diamond Desk right now. Everyone else who is here, or who has a reservation in the future, should do the same.
With the comfortable knowledge that our rooms are locked and secure my wife and I are actually electing not to be in our DBV or the pool today given everything going on. We thought neighbor proximity was an issue.

Sheesh did we lack perspective.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by jmhintonjr

I have kids and would be perfectly comfortabke holding them in my lap or not using a car seat. As I recall there is nothing to strap it in anyway and in many ways I find the takeoff, flight and landing to be smoother than commercial aviation.
Oh I meant for the actual vehicle transfer from the arrivals area to the Conrad lounge at the seaplane area. Can’t rememner if it was a car or a minivan type vehicle they used when we were last there so just wondering if we need a car seat for that part. I didn’t think we did since it’s not on a public road so would be safe.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Sounds like this isn't the first time this ship has been at the resort?

As such, unfortunately it appears the resort has decided that the money brought in by these "guests" is worth more to them than the bad reviews and compensation they have to make to upset residents.

A significant black mark against the resort, for me. Enough to make me genuinely reconsider.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pineapple_09

Oh I meant for the actual vehicle transfer from the arrivals area to the Conrad lounge at the seaplane area. Can’t rememner if it was a car or a minivan type vehicle they used when we were last there so just wondering if we need a car seat for that part. I didn’t think we did since it’s not on a public road so would be safe.
I wouldn't bring a car seat just for this short transfer. It is just a quick drive around the airport grounds. When we arrived this week, the vehicle was one of the ~10 pax Toyota vans.

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Sounds like this isn't the first time this ship has been at the resort?
​​​​​​​We were told this ship has been here each of the last 3 or 4 years. Whether that is true or not, I don't know...
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:14 am

That's terrible. Is this another way of increasing revenue for the resort? Whoever thought of this needs a good butt-whipping! Please do post pics if you guys can. I think us regulars will need to keep an eye on this cruise ship's route in the future and perhaps email the resort before making bookings to see whether any similar kind of invasion is scheduled to coincide with our stays.
Some Trip Advisor reports might have some ‘positive’ affect in Hilton changing course on this practice. If they don’t get some public backlash they will most certainly increase the frequency

This report may be my tipping point to confirm my move to the WA.

TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Feb 14, 2019 at 5:22 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Some Trip Advisor reports might have some ‘positive’ affect in Hilton changing course on this practice. If they don’t get some public backlash they will most certainly increase the frequency

TD
I was just about to suggest the same - everybody there at the moment should be leaving a trip advisor review referring to this nonsense that happened today. It’s completely unacceptable.

One of the big reasons why I want to go back here is because it’s so quiet, there is nobody on the beach. To think it has temporarily turned into something like a busy resort in the Costa del Sol is not a good thing at all.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by stormbandit
Right on, buddy!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by ncSam
I wouldn't bring a car seat just for this short transfer. It is just a quick drive around the airport grounds. When we arrived this week, the vehicle was one of the ~10 pax Toyota vans.
Yes, they always use a van (and only have one Toyota IINW).

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by ncSam
We were told this ship has been here each of the last 3 or 4 years. Whether that is true or not, I don't know...
Hmm. I seriously doubt Lyle would have let this charade happen on his watch. Since he left there has been a lot of cost-cutting and new ideas aimed at earning extra revenue. I bet an arm and a leg that the barbarian invasions started after he left. I suspect "the last 3 or 4 years" is an intentional exaggeration and is actually "the last 2 years".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.