Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:06 pm

We are planning our first trip from the UK. Have already booked the flights. However, realised that my children will be 12 years and 10 years by the time we travel next year and re the seaplane transfer, the 12 year old would get charged the adult amount. With the weak pound, this is bringing the cost of our family even more than the actual flights for all 4 of us! Any other suitable, good and very reliable way? I know people will say Rangali is not a place to save pennies but it is coming up to well over $2000 for the seaplane transfers.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by rox0825
I'll only be staying at the Conrad for 3 nights. I have reservation sat the Cheese and Wine Bar (tapas) and Ithaa for Wed and Thurs nights. Any recommendations for Tuesday night dinner?
Take a die and roll it. If it's a 1 or a 2, go to Mandhoo. A 3 or a 4 then Vilu. And a 5 or a 6 means Sunset Grill. Those three locations are the best and you should at least try one of them. If you're really into healthy food with a low calorie count then choose Mandhoo.

Originally Posted by zjnea
Thanks so much for the replies! One more question: anyone have any input on the photographer packages? I just got the packet and there are so many options!
There has only been talk about this once or twice at most over the last 5 years in this thread so not much info here I'm afraid, at least not recent info anyway. Sorry I can't help but if you search the thread you should find the posts.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Nov 18, 2018 at 11:37 pm
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by s879
We are planning our first trip from the UK. Have already booked the flights. However, realised that my children will be 12 years and 10 years by the time we travel next year and re the seaplane transfer, the 12 year old would get charged the adult amount. With the weak pound, this is bringing the cost of our family even more than the actual flights for all 4 of us! Any other suitable, good and very reliable way? I know people will say Rangali is not a place to save pennies but it is coming up to well over $2000 for the seaplane transfers.
Bascially no. You will need to have a reservation with another hotel on a nearby island to get on the el-cheapo ferry there (foreigners aren't allowed to just hop on ferries to wherever they want) but then you have the problem of getting to Rangali and that isn't going to be as easy, as safe, as comforatble, as reliable nor that cheap in the long run. You have to remember that transportation is a monopoly in this island nation and we just have to suck it up. There was a conversation about this a few months ago (that's just one of the conversations, I might add) so if you search for it you'll find it easily and will have a good laugh reading it, that I can almost guarantee. After reading it you'll understand the situation and most likely will not regret spending the $2K on the seaplane once you've made the scenic flight to Rangali. It's awesome and just part of the awesomeness that is the Maldives.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:44 pm

Probably no other choice except you push your trip date up to be earlier (before your kid turn 12). Or do the long-winded way of taking domestic flight / boats etc.

It's the same - there will be a kid 2+ yrs traveling with us, and had we gone before he turn 2, then i believe he doesnt have to pay for a seat in seaplane.

C'est la vie
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:54 pm
soy

Programs: various
RE. the wiki statement about all DBV being renovated by Dec 10 2018, I would take that with a grain of salt. I am currently staying in one on the sunrise side and it has not been renovated nor is there any sign of work at any of the neighbouring villas. Actually suits me as based on the photos I saw, I prefer the older design.
I reckon they will hold off until after high season to resume work on them.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
Or do the long-winded way of taking domestic flight / boats etc
But the price is still the same, guv.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by soy
RE. the wiki statement about all DBV being renovated by Dec 10 2018, I would take that with a grain of salt. I am currently staying in one on the sunrise side and it has not been renovated nor is there any sign of work at any of the neighbouring villas. Actually suits me as based on the photos I saw, I prefer the older design.
You're probably right. There is a review of 226 that has just been posted on TA and it's pretty sad. Lucky you didn't get that one: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...li_Island.html
Check out the pics attached.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Take a die and roll it. If it's a 1 or a 2, go to Mandhoo. A 4 or a 5 then Vilu. And a 5 or a 6 means Sunset Grill.
I hope they don't get a 3 or 5 then, because:

3 = go to bed hungry
5 = eat at two restaurants the same night
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by soy
are the newly-renovated DBV all on the sunset side?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by goliath
I hope they don't get a 3 or 5 then, because:

3 = go to bed hungry
5 = eat at two restaurants the same night
Oops. So much for checking my own posts for errors. Doh!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
are the newly-renovated DBV all on the sunset side?
That's where they started. Not sure of how many have been done in the 200s.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:03 am

A big thanks to MaldivesFreak and all of the others who have contributed to this thread. We got to the Conrad last night, and it's been amazing so far. Per recommendations from this thread, we're in a corner OWV on the sunset side, and we're going to try out Adventure Snorkeling, Sunset Fishing, and a couple's massage at the Spa Retreat, as well as Mandhoo, hotpot at Ufaa, and Maldivian Night.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:15 am

With the weak pound, this is bringing the cost of our family even more than the actual flights for all 4 of us!
If the relative difference in cost is the problem, then just upgrade your international flights to business class, and the seaplane cost will pale in comparison. Problem solved!

Unfortunately, there is no way around this cost. It is possible to save on F&B by eating a large breakfast, attending tea and happy hour, bringing nonperishables from home, and so on. It is possible to save on excursions (by not taking part). It is not possible to save on seaplane transfers. There are other resorts closer to Male that might have lower transfer costs, but this one is rather far away.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Smile

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
... but this one is rather far away.
which makes it sooo nice.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Abidjan
which makes it sooo nice.
No argument from me. I can't imagine flying halfway around the world for a private getaway and having jets fly over my head at all hours of the day and night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.