Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ncSam
I've read a few dozen pages of this thread and have also looked on the Conrad website as well as TA, but was unable to find out the very basics of the differences between the WV, SWV, DWV, RWV, etc. From what I can tell, SWV guarantees a sunset view, DWV is bigger with better views, and the RWV has a spa treatment room. I'm sure there are many, but what are the major distinguishing characteristics I'm missing? I'm considering my cash upgrade options for a stay in February.
Hard to know what’s important to you so hard to know what points to draw out in terms of differences, but my perspective as follows (just focussing on what differs),

• location/view: DWV assure you of location (all 6 in the same place, with almost the same view - end one obviously the best and doesn’t have a fence round it so you really do get a spectacular view) for view and privacy. Sunset assured, nobody overlooking you, highly unlikely anyone will swim past you. SWV experience may depend on luck of the draw with villa number - almost all are good, but there’s some that look into the overwater spa and that might not be great. RWV half look out onto other island: other half look out to sea (sunrise view not sunset) - great for afternoon tea walk; about 25 mins to get to Vilu breakfast. However if you’ve not been to the Maldives before (even if you’ve been to Seychelles, Caribbean etc) then on your first trip all the room views will have you captivated.

• water: DWV you’ll need to be pretty confident in the water - I can swim like a fish but would get caught out if I didn’t have flipper on - the current is quite something around them (although I do cope without flippers when I can’t be bothered). SWV has nice water, shallow and can walk out for 100s of meters if you want to, but nowadays there’s not much more than sand outside them so snorkelling there is a bit of a waste of time. RWV - I’ve less experience of these - only stayed in 1 (on the sunset side) but water was excellent depth and clarity for bobbing around in. RWV better (massively closer) to house reef.

• comfort: they have a white chair/sofa in both the DWV and SWV that you’ll want to take home with you. They have noticeably smaller outside decks than the RWV, but I’d say a little more private (you can feel a bit like the next villa can see into yours in some of the RWV). The DWV is larger than the SWV but not really so much that you’d notice (in fact in some ways the SWV is a bit nicer in that respect - the inside sofa is closer (very close) to the French sliding door to the deck so you can be inside but still outside if that makes sense whereas the DWV has the same config but the sofa is about a meter further inside and you’d be surprised the difference that makes to feeling inside & outside. The RWV have too many choices of sofa - about 4 inside including a separate room (for a gym and/or spa treatments - the DWV and SWV are both single room plus bathroom). Outside the RWV there’s a sort of day bed that’s nice. (We often used to stay in the PWV but that’s too large and disconnects you from the ocean - when you’re inside you’re definitely inside so it more like a glorious hotel room than the feeling of a hut on stilts so we don’t choose it anymore - just saying that to give you context to our views on comfort/size).

Facilities: I don’t think there’s anything to choose between them, they all have great bathrooms and closets. All three have jacuzzi, best in RWV then DWV then SWV

Modern: the DWV and SWV have an old, been there for years feel (some think they could do with a refresh - and there are certainly bit that if you’re picky could do it a touch up but we really love that older feel). RWV are much newer feeling.

Let is know if there’s other aspects that are the important ones to you and we’ll try and give you a perspective. I am confident however than you’ll not think you’ve made the wrong choice no matter which one you end up in (as you don’t have a frame of reference yet!). And it’s likely that when you’re out there you can swap of a little extra cash if you really wanted to (depending on time of year you go as they won’t be at 100% occupancy rate except during the crazy weeks).
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dein_gesicht
You might have seen this already (as I am new too), but here is something I found useful: Rangali Island Hotels Conrad Maldives Rangali Island Rangali Island,
These are the same descriptions I've found, but in a nicer format, so thank you.

Originally Posted by Splotly
Hard to know what’s important to you so hard to know what points to draw out in terms of differences, but my perspective as follows (just focussing on what differs),
Thank you for the detailed descriptions! It is our first time visiting a resort like this (honeymoon), so you make an excellent point that all of the views will be spectacular. We aren't so worried about location/distance, as we enjoy walking and are in decent shape. As far as the water goes, I imagine we will just be splashing around a bit but nothing too serious other than snorkeling, which I presume would be away from the villa anyway (at the house reef?). The "hut on stilts" vibe you mention is what we're looking for, and most of the reason we're visiting the Maldives in the first place. I'll certainly ponder over these details a few more times before reaching a decision, but thank you again for the guidance!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
These are the same descriptions I've found, but in a nicer format, so thank you.

Thank you for the detailed descriptions! It is our first time visiting a resort like this (honeymoon), so you make an excellent point that all of the views will be spectacular. We aren't so worried about location/distance, as we enjoy walking and are in decent shape. As far as the water goes, I imagine we will just be splashing around a bit but nothing too serious other than snorkeling, which I presume would be away from the villa anyway (at the house reef?). The "hut on stilts" vibe you mention is what we're looking for, and most of the reason we're visiting the Maldives in the first place. I'll certainly ponder over these details a few more times before reaching a decision, but thank you again for the guidance!
There’s the ‘quiet zone’ on the water island (ie the island with the DWV & SWV) - which a lot of people seem to love (cabanas, infinity pool, good wine bar etc etc and good lagoon swimming beach). Probably nicer for a splash around that on the house reef side. The house reef side is the primary snorkelling area though if you’re keen to see eels, sharks, rays, turtles, octopus etc up close while you’re in the water.

Subjective, but for me the huts on stilts are the DWV (or SWV). The extra space and layout (direction the bed faces) of the RWV inside is a little more hotel room bedroom like, but still spectacular (and does have a rather honeymoon friendly massive bath in its own little room hanging out over the ocean, that said the DWV has a gorgeous big tub in front of a floor to ceiling mirrored window that you’ll end up including in your holiday snaps!), and the DWV you can’t fail to wake up looking straight out to sea! Better honeymoon outside jacuzzi is the DWV!

Don’t be misled into thinking this is a relaxing next holiday either! The water sports available are exceptional - everything from hooning around on jet skis (to track down 100 strong schools(?) of dolphins, to jet blades, underwater jet skis (superb), to paddle board, an array of different floats to pull you along behind speed boats (all designed to kill you with varying degrees of certainty and severity)... the excursions can be pretty good to if you choose the right one for you (whale sharks is obviously an exercise and a half - I was swimming flat out with flippers in for a good minute to get from it’s tail to its mouth and it has hardly moving its tail). If you get a good year for life in the ocean then you’re snorkel until you’re knackered!

Bring bigger shorts - the resort is a complete non stop wine, cocktails and food prison.

(I haven’t mentioned the standard WV because we’ve only stayed in 1 for an hour or two. They’re a lot more modern and have some lovely touches, but you can clearly afford to upgrade or you’d not be asking about it, so do! And see if you can kick MaldivesFreak into action with a reply on here - there’s nobody on here who knows the details better - although he is a right wind up merchant so you have to ask him the right question!!!)
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
New happy hour/afternoon tea

So the new hh/afternoon tea debuted yesterday. It’s interesting and seems so much busier I liked it before. But was happy to hear about this change. Go figure.

Tea is from 4-5

Happy Hour 4:30-5:30

today it’s seems people are lining up at the bar to get drinks even though there’s plenty of staff to help. Something new that I’ve never seen before in 5 trips here.

Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by rkaradi
Tea is from 4-5

I haven't seen any outrage posts yet. Is this thing on?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
I'm outraged, but I decided not to post about it until I experience it myself (hoping that they will have reversed their decision until then, though).
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by dein_gesicht
Yes first time. I travel a lot with the kids and wife, but this will be our first actual "beach holiday". Traditionally, we go 100% when you are away on holidays so this will be a massive change in pace. I'm thinking that I might like it so best to try Maldives as it's one of the best places to go. I'm restricted with time (only 1 week) as we won't bring our kids.
In that case don't take any notice of goliath when he says
Originally Posted by goliath
3. Personal preference, I guess. I would go to the resort that night instead of staying on Hulhumale.
He is spoilt rotten and goes there every year for two weeks at a time so he doesn't really care if he checks in at 1 or 2AM and effectively wastes half a day. Shame on you for giving such advice to a newbie to the Maldives, goliath!

But seriously, you're going to have an absolutely awesome time and you'll wish you overnighted in Male and got an extra half a day at the resort. Believe me, you won't regret it. Besides the obvious advantage of spending more time in paradise, you'll be much more refreshed for your first day there, rather than get only a few hours sleep then force yourself to get up and go to breakfast.....and end up going to breakfast like a zombie. Overnight in Male and get the earliest seaplane flight out the next day and start your 5 nights from that day. 5 nights will fly by, that I can assure you, so in a nutshell you'll want to maximize the time at the resort as much as you possibly can. Get a late flight out if you can. That will give you even more time there.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:55 pm

Spoilt or not, I will stand by my statement.

I meant they should add another day at the resort (staying 6 nights at Rangali), not "wasting" the first of only 5 nights. Another night on points will cost you USD 475 all in if you buy the points at 0.5 cents. The hotel on Hulhumale will cost you as well, so only the difference will be what you invest for another night on Rangali.

They seem to be restricted to a week away from home, so they should spend the most of their time available in the "right" place.

Even if you check in at 1AM, you can still get a good 7 hours of sleep without having to "go to breakfast like a zombie".

The only positive about overnighting on Hulhumale I see is the seaplane flight at daytime instead of the domestic flight in the dark followed by the speedboat ride.

We stayed on Huluhumale before going to Rangali on our first trip, and I would not do it again.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:24 pm

I've read a few dozen pages of this thread and have also looked on the Conrad website as well as TA, but was unable to find out the very basics of the differences between the WV, SWV, DWV, RWV, etc. From what I can tell, SWV guarantees a sunset view, DWV is bigger with better views, and the RWV has a spa treatment room. I'm sure there are many, but what are the major distinguishing characteristics I'm missing? I'm considering my cash upgrade options for a stay in February.
What hasn't been mentioned yet is the fact that not all (only about half) of the WVs are sunset-facing, which might be important to you (but you probably know that by now). And technically all the DWVs are sunset-facing too (in your post you only mentioned SWVs having a sunset view). Splotly mentions something important and that is the RWVs don't have the bed facing the ocean (and neither do the WVs). If you like to wake up to ocean vews or listen to music and stare blankly out at the ocean from your bed then by all means don't go for a WV or RWV. On our first trip there I decided to pay for a SWV as opposed to a WV (and not chance getting a sunrise-facing one, that was a major part of the decision) and I don't regret it at all. We spent quite a few hours just chilling out both with and without music, staring out at the ocean and seeing nothing but water, waves and the sky. Awesome.

Originally Posted by Splotly
Modern: the DWV and SWV have an old, been there for years feel (some think they could do with a refresh - and there are certainly bit that if you’re picky could do it a touch up but we really love that older feel). RWV are much newer feeling.
I'm not of the same opinion. I can't speak for the DWVs but 409 (a RWV) was pretty well worn and torn and, as I think someone else has mentioned maybe 6 months or a year ago now, that the RWVs / FWVs have quite a bit of wear and tear and can easily match a SWV or WV as far as this goes. TBPH the 2 SWV we had back in 2013 and 2015 were in far better nick than 409 last year. And the SWVs have been touhed up since then too (although there have been some negative reports about one or two of them being almost as worn as before the touchup).

Have you checked out the maps in the wiki and the placement of the villas? The numbering is also helpful to get you accustomed to the resort and which villas to request should you want to try and get a specific one (or group). And have you checked out my comparison of the WVs and SWVs? The link is in the wiki and also in my signature (just below this text) and is titled 'Standard Water Villa vs. Superior Water Villa'. Whatever you decide, email the resort 1 - 2 weeks before you arrive with your preferred villa(s) and they will do their best to allocate you what you are after.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:03 pm

Even if you check in at 1AM, you can still get a good 7 hours of sleep without having to "go to breakfast like a zombie".
Crikey! I wish my girlfriend was as quick and efficient as your missus. If we checked in at 1AM there's no way Maldives Lobster Freak (my g/f, or MLF for short) would be in bed before 3 or 3:30AM. Then she'd need 90 minutes from when she woke up til she was ready to leave the villa and go to breakfast. Now that breakfast finishes at 10:30, there'd only be time for 4 1/2 or 5 hours sleep maximum. And if we checked in at 2AM, which is also a possibility, then that would mean 3 1/2 or 4 hours sleep and zombietime it would be! I can get away with 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night and never suffer from jetlag but she's the complete opposite. Time for your_face to pitch in and tells us whether his missus is a snail or a gazelle.....

The only positive about overnighting on Hulhumale I see is the seaplane flight at daytime instead of the domestic flight in the dark followed by the speedboat ride.
Like I said, spoilt spoilt spoilt. I hate you. And I hate you even more because you can get a whopping 7 hours of sleep and still get to breakfast on time when you check in at 0100. Guiness Book of Records, anyone?!

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 16, 2018 at 3:19 pm
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by rkaradi
Tea is from 4-5

today it’s seems people are lining up at the bar to get drinks even though there’s plenty of staff to help. Something new that I’ve never seen before in 5 trips here.

I have to say this is, well.....bad with a capital B. Typical American, uncultured way to conduct business. You'd never, in a million years, see an English hotel chain do this kind of mishmash at a flagship property. Where's the 'Hate' button. I'm itching to click it.....

Nothing personal, rkaradi.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 16, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Like I said, spoilt spoilt spoilt. I hate you. And I hate you even more because you can get a whopping 7 hours of sleep and still get to breafast on time when you check in at 0100. Guiness Book of Records, anyone?!
Well, I think you're spoilt for having enough vacation time to waste a day of it waking up on Hulhumale!

I think the decision is an uneasy tradeoff. If time away from the office is more precious than the money used to book a "wasted" night, then it wasn't wasted.

Also - we optimized for breakfast by doing only the most necessary things to make ourselves presentable. We spent more time each afternoon getting ready for tea, happy hour, and a nice dinner.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by lhrhappy
Well, I think you're spoilt for having enough vacation time to waste a day of it waking up on Hulhumale!
The opposite, actually. I only have the chance to go on holiday once a year, sometimes twice if I'm lucky, and usually 8 to 10 days at the most.

There's a good expression that goes something like No matter how busy a person is, they can always make time for something that's important to them. Work a little bit harder and a little bit more efficiently so you can spend an extra half a day in paradise, and somewhere that's half way round the world I might add. That's a no-brainer for me. I not only value the quality, but also the quantity. In 6 trips to the Maldives I've added another 3 days of time on the island(s) by overnighting in Male. Plus I've added another day and a half by taking the redeye out. An extra 4 1/2 days is nothing to sneeze at.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:52 pm

Like I said, spoilt spoilt spoilt. I hate you. And I hate you even more because you can get a whopping 7 hours of sleep and still get to breakfast on time when you check in at 0100. Guiness Book of Records, anyone?!

You gotta set your priorities.

0100 check in
0130 (latest) be in your villa, drop your stuff (or have them drop it for you), take a quick shower
0200 (latest) be in bed
0900 get up, get ready, get a buggy
0945 (latest) be at breakfast

And if the missus wants to be on another schedule, that is her decision... (in my case, she wouldn't want to)

That's a no-brainer for me. I not only value the quality, but also the quantity. In 6 trips to the Maldives I've added another 3 days of time on the island(s) by overnighting in Male. Plus I've added another day and a half by taking the redeye out. An extra 4 1/2 days is nothing to sneeze at.
The way I see it, you could have spent those extra 3 days on Rangali instead of on Hulhumale.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:42 pm

With a 1:00am check-in my wife and 9 year old daughter would insist on breakfast room service, delivered 1 minute before the breakfast cutoff time. ��

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.