Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Reykjavik Nordica {ISL}

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2023, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I am also trying to decide between the Canopy and the Hilton. The Canopy location looks a lot better. Did you have problems getting around while staying at the Hilton?
I stayed at both the Canopy and the Hilton during same trip at the beginning and end of a Ring Road trip, respectively. We did 1 night stay at Canopy on Sunday night, so we just parked for free right front of the hotel and were on the road by 9 am, so we never had to worry about it. Overall, Reykjavik is a "newer" city more accommodating to automobiles, and parking isn't a nightmare as with other European capital cities.
We stayed in Hilton for 2 nights (Sunday and Monday), and while not as stylish or convenient as Canopy (aside from the free parking), the rooms are bigger and (at least when I stayed), half the price of Canopy. The Hilton seems to be a popular hotel with [North American] tour groups, and when I was there, it seems tour operators have visitors arrive and stay at the Hilton Sunday night and head out of town Monday morning; or end their tours at the Hilton Saturday night and visitors check out Sunday for their return flights. So Sunday afternoon check-in and Monday breakfast was packed and chaotic.
Old May 1, 2023, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Not really. It was a fifteen minute walk to the center which we only did two days. The other two days we did excursions, so pickup was actually easier because it was at the hotel vs. some bus stop downtown, allowing you to wait comfortably in the lobby (if you rent a car, the Nordica has free parking).
The biggest limitation was dinner. There are a number of strip mall-type restaurants near the Nordica (Vietnamese, pizza, Mexican, sandwiches, burger, Chinese) but the nicer places and the fun bars are not around here. Even at the end of April, it was cold and windy so walking wasn't great but it was bearable.
The Curio Diplomat is within easy walking distance to all the action. Originally the grand home of a wealthy merchant, it's an elegant, immaculate hotel rich in character, and in my experience gives very generous upgrades to Diamond members. As a welcome gift I've received boxes of handmade local chocolates, worth at least $20. Breakfast is good for Iceland. (good quality, limited selection). Fridge stocked with complementary water, juice, and soda.

I parked nearby in a "P2" zone using the easypark app for around $10/day.

Reykjavik's famed Icelandic hot dog stand was visible from my balcony, amongst the historic buildings, to give you an idea of the area.

I'm averse to hot weather, but come nowhere near to needing AC in May in Iceland. It'll be a surprise if you see 60°f before the last week of May.

Last edited by SkyLich; May 1, 2023 at 11:58 pm
Old Jun 3, 2023, 5:22 pm

When the news broke about Hyatt purchasing the Mr. and Mrs. Smith reservation service, potentially affecting my reservation for this August at the Sand Hotel, I booked a backup reservation at the Nordica. The Sand hasn't cancelled yet (I don't believe the acquisition has gone through yet), but it got me thinking - maybe I should just go ahead and stay at the Nordica anyways? I know the Sand is more central, but does it really matter in a city Reykjavik's size? Also, I've been advised the small rooms at the Sand aren't super comfortable (and I know I won't get an upgrade due to general unavailability - already emailed asking). And free breakfast (Hilton Gold) is worth a lot more in Iceland than it is in most other countries. Any opinions?

Last edited by highlanderfil; Jun 3, 2023 at 5:30 pm
Old Jun 3, 2023, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
When the news broke about Hyatt purchasing the Mr. and Mrs. Smith reservation service, potentially affecting my reservation for this August at the Sand Hotel, I booked a backup reservation at the Nordica. The Sand hasn't cancelled yet (I don't believe the acquisition has gone through yet), but it got me thinking - maybe I should just go ahead and stay at the Nordica anyways? I know the Sand is more central, but does it really matter in a city Reykjavik's size? Also, I've been advised the small rooms at the Sand aren't super comfortable (and I know I won't get an upgrade due to general unavailability - already emailed asking). And free breakfast (Hilton Gold) is worth a lot more in Iceland than it is in most other countries. Any opinions?
It's easy to get around the city. It's so small I wouldn't concern myself.

Consider the Curio Konsulat. I've stayed twice, found it ideally situated for exploring the city by foot, elegant and rich in character. Status recognition was generous. An upgrade via the app then another at arrival both times. Upscale locally handmade boxes of chocolate as welcome gifts.

On another note, If you have any interest in Icelandic thermal spas, I can't strongly enough recommend staying a night at Silica hotel and getting the package giving access to the famed Retreat spa "Ritual" next door. Both part of the "Blue Lagoon" complex but much more exclusive, not the public pool like experience of the Blue Lagoon.

Room rates at Silica are very high, while they're obscene at the Retreat. Since Silica lets you access the Retreat spa "Ritual" for a modest fee, it's a nice way to save $1k+ per night. IMO, its utterly unique to Iceland not to be missed.
Resolution likes this.

Last edited by SkyLich; Jun 3, 2023 at 8:40 pm
Old Jun 4, 2023, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by SkyLich
It's easy to get around the city. It's so small I wouldn't concern myself.

Consider the Curio Konsulat. I've stayed twice, found it ideally situated for exploring the city by foot, elegant and rich in character. Status recognition was generous. An upgrade via the app then another at arrival both times. Upscale locally handmade boxes of chocolate as welcome gifts.
Unfortunately, all the other Hilton properties are outside of our price range. Had to gut my HHonors points account as it is.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 4:37 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
I've stayed in both the Canopy and Nordica several times. The Canopy is certainly closer to the centre of town but when I last stayed there (in winter) my room faced onto the main road and being on a lower floor and because a lot of cars have spiked tyres, the noise was much louder than a normal road. I used a public car park just around the corner which displayed charges but the barrier was never down, so it was free.

The Nordica by comparison is further out and is a 15 minute walk to the town which is a pleasant stroll, as you get to see some of the architecture on the way. There is also a (I think) free bus service going the same way. I you also have nice views of the mount Esja if you get a room on the front side of the hotel. From here you can also see the sun not setting, which is a novelty in itself. I remember watching it at midnight like it was midday.

The Noridica is also popular with American cruise companies like SilverSea and MSC, so the Exec Lounge can be busy at times but I've always managed to have some very interesting conversations with many of the passengers.

If you want to try a hot spa but don't want to pay the ridiculous prices at the Blue Lagoon, the Nordica is close to a public spa - Laugardalslaug–the most popular swimming pool in Reykjavik - Icelandic Times which is a short cab ride away and very cheap in comparison.

I personally prefer the Nordica not least for the Exec Lounge but also for the views from the lounge and the rooms but each to their own.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, TAP Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Miles and More
Did anyone stay at the Iceland Parliament Hotel Curio? Trying to decide between the Nordica at 60k points and that one at 80k points.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I just completed a 3 night stay last weekend at the Nordica Hilton. I was very pleased with the hotel and glad that I chose the Hilton Nordica over the Canopy downtown.

The Hilton Nordica is full service hotel, and I was upgraded to a 9th floor Exec Room Queen Plus - large windows facing the water.
I was not bothered by the limited road noise - it is not a freeway per say - so mostly quiet at night - with just a few cars.
Nice lounge and breakfast is server in the restaurant - all very good.
Had a car - so free parking at the hotel. A easy 1 mile drive to the main downtown area - via the road along with water.

Parking downtown was somewhat difficult - any time of the day or night - contrary to what I have read.
Never any parking at the Church lot or surrounding streets in day time or evening.
With some effort I was able to find one space 3-4 blocks north of the Canopy. Paid lots were full.

So if you stay at the Canopy - a car will be a problem - hard to park and street is pay parking in the day, if you can find it. Plus you will get bar noise at the Canopy.

The Noridca Hilton does have a spa - the main area of the spa is old, but they do have a new large sauna and hot tub on the outside patio - from the old spa area - walk through the gym and go outside - and right there. There is no sign indicating the new large, wooden sauna and outside spa.

I would say the Hilton is by far the best place to stay if you want full service hotel - lounge, restaurants, spa, parking, nice rooms, etc. Best to have a car.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Willi90
Did anyone stay at the Iceland Parliament Hotel Curio? Trying to decide between the Nordica at 60k points and that one at 80k points.
If you have a car, I would stay at the Hilton Nordica. As Diamond you will definitely get a Exec Room on the top floor and lounge access. Nice lounge and great breakfast in the restaurant. (restaurant will be crowded).
Old Jun 17, 2023, 10:05 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Most of the flights to Iceland arrive in the early morning (between 8-9 am). What are the chances of being able to check-in early at this hotel? This would be in July.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Most of the flights to Iceland arrive in the early morning (between 8-9 am). What are the chances of being able to check-in early at this hotel? This would be in July.
If there is a tour group staying at the moment, probably 0. Sunday is a popular arrival and departure day for North American tours, and they had a sign at reception being explicit about the check in time.
My advice: try to book the Blue Lagoon the morning your flight lands to kill time and freshen up, and it's in the same area as KEF.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 12:59 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
If there is a tour group staying at the moment, probably 0. Sunday is a popular arrival and departure day for North American tours, and they had a sign at reception being explicit about the check in time.
My advice: try to book the Blue Lagoon the morning your flight lands to kill time and freshen up, and it's in the same area as KEF.
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you!
Old Jul 2, 2023, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
I would agree - I checked in on a Thursday in early June.
Arrived at hotel around noon. Told not until 3pm. I had a car and went to lunch for a couple of hours.
Back at 2pm and checked at desk - still not ready. I had an upgrade to a top floor exec minisuite plus - so I did not to impact that.
I got the planned room number (guest should be gone by then) and the housekeeper was in the room.

Went to lounge for 30 minutes and checked back at 2:30 - when I noticed that housekeeping cart was gone.
Still not ready - but told desk clerk on my observation. Did not show in the system as ready but a bellman went up and checked to verify that room was ready. Told that many times a supervisor has to do a quality check - so room may not be ready when housekeeper is finished.
Plus there is no electronic way for housekeeper to report when finished.

Did get the room at 2:30pm - great room with lounge access.

But I would plan on expecting to get the room at 3pm - in the summer months.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Trying to figure out:

1) What’s the cheapest way to get breakfast included at Hilton Nordica? Cheapest room seems to be about $300/night but including breakfast hikes it to about $385!

2) Points per night for redemption here seem to be 60k for August. Sounds quite steep. Any other suggestions for reducing cost here?

3) do they discount if you book multiple but non-consecutive nights? Need Aug 1st and Aug 3rd but not Aug 2nd

(Apologies if these are stupid questions but I am not experienced with hotel programs and have really only concentrated on FF miles.)

Last edited by salut0; Jul 12, 2023 at 9:06 am
Old Jul 12, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by salut0
Trying to figure out:

1) What’s the cheapest way to get breakfast included at Hilton Nordica? Cheapest room seems to be about $300/night but including breakfast hikes it to about $385!

2) Points per night for redemption here seem to be 60k for August. Sounds quite steep. Any other suggestions for reducing cost here?

3) do they discount if you book multiple but non-consecutive nights? Need Aug 1st and Aug 3rd but not Aug 2nd

(Apologies if these are stupid questions but I am not experienced with hotel programs and have really only concentrated on FF miles.)
Iceland normally is already expensive (relatively speaking of course), but during high season (summer) is gets worse. $300 / night at Hilton Nordica is about right. If I were you, I'd book it as a place holder and continue to check prices. For $85, you can breakfast anywhere in city center and have small change coming back.

I have never experienced getting discount from a chain hotel simply by booking multiple but non-consecutive stays. Won't hurt to ask the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.