Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Reykjavik Nordica {ISL}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2021, 7:13 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ShagU
Hi all,

Any recent intel on this property? Mrs. ShagU and I will be staying there next month. Thanks!
Bump; I’ll also be staying next month.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Executive lounge is closed, with the alternative being a drink (beer or wine) and an appetizer platter in the bar from several choices on a menu. If you are vegetarian, the cauliflower is much better than the nachos. Restaurant is fully open, including breakfast buffet. Hotel was able to provide an early check in of about 11:30am. With the exception of the executive lounge, the hotel seems to be operating normally.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:39 pm

Short trip report, stayed here for 5 nights ending earlier this week. Executive lounge is open, but not for breakfast. Lounge is crowded when it opens at 17:00 but thins out a bit as time goes by. Plonk wine and Gull beer, light snacks (fried shrimp, egg rolls, sandwiches, soup). Breakfast is in the restaurant for the buffet, with made to order omelets available (not many options for the ingredients). Very serviceable breakfast, many options. No housekeeping unless requested, though they did drop fresh towels in bags at the door every day. Major problems with the keys not working in the elevators and/or room and/or lounge -- eventually the nice lady at the desk cut us two sets of keys, one for the elevator/room, one for the lounge. (Based on her reaction this is a common "feature", if a survey hits my inbox that's the one negative I'd mention.) Didn't try the spa/gym, but checked it out -- huge space, many machines, classes on offer every day. Overall, a good experience, though the key situation was frustrating.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:50 pm

Is there a computer and a printer for guest use with free printing?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Is there a computer and a printer for guest use with free printing?
I saw a computer in a nook between the bar and lobby, didn't note a printer but wasn't really looking. I'm sure they'd answer a call or email with the question.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by ShagU
Short trip report, stayed here for 5 nights ending earlier this week. Executive lounge is open, but not for breakfast. Lounge is crowded when it opens at 17:00 but thins out a bit as time goes by. Plonk wine and Gull beer, light snacks (fried shrimp, egg rolls, sandwiches, soup). Breakfast is in the restaurant for the buffet, with made to order omelets available (not many options for the ingredients). Very serviceable breakfast, many options. No housekeeping unless requested, though they did drop fresh towels in bags at the door every day. Major problems with the keys not working in the elevators and/or room and/or lounge -- eventually the nice lady at the desk cut us two sets of keys, one for the elevator/room, one for the lounge. (Based on her reaction this is a common "feature", if a survey hits my inbox that's the one negative I'd mention.) Didn't try the spa/gym, but checked it out -- huge space, many machines, classes on offer every day. Overall, a good experience, though the key situation was frustrating.
I had a similar experience on my 2-night stay this past Sunday-Tuesday. There was a Globus tour checking out and an incoming tour checking in on Sunday, so they were enforcing the 15:00 check-in -- they even had a sign reiterating that at front desk. (We stayed at the Canopy the Sunday night before, and was able to check in at 12:30, and we attempted to check in at the Nordica around 13:45.) The lobby was quite chaotic and busy all afternoon and evening as a result, as was Monday morning breakfast buffet (although the crowds died down after 8:30 when everyone boarded the tour bus). We headed down to breakfast earlier on Tuesday, and although less crowded, it does seem like the tourists and business travelers have both returned.
Didn't go to the lounge or the spa. Housekeeping was upon request with a new towel dropped off in the evening (but no extra roll of toilet paper). We had issues with a card keys, as did other guests. One key would work in the elevator while the other didn't; sometimes it took 3 attempts with the same key to open the room door. As mentioned earlier, we stayed at the Canopy the week before, and while the design and location was not as hip/central and the breakfast not as tasty, and the the Nordica's rooms were probably twice the size and about half the price with free parking. Good for when you're exploring the areas around, not in, central Reykjavik.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BD *S
Does anybody know why the Hilton rebooked me "due to sudden unforeseen circumstances we must relocate you to our sister hotel" Canopy Reykjavík by Hilton? Seems like the end of september and whole october is closed for new reservations in both hotels.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I too was there last weekend. The keys don't work. I had to have mine redone 3 times. One of the front desk guys said one particular elevator was a problem and they were in the middle of switching to phone keys when they closed down for Covid and they haven't completed the switch. We stayed there 3 times. The first day we arrived at 10-ish fresh off the plane. There was a sign asking people to respect their 15:00 check in. The clerk asked if I had made a reservation for the night before; I said no, but when he saw I was diamond, he immediately checked us in. We ate in the restaurant the first night and the food was good although there weren't a lot of choices. Breakfast was decent but nothing spectacular. The omelet I had was overdone and with very little in the way of filling. (I'm more used to Asian breakfasts which are generally have far greater variety of foods and just better in general.) Parking was dicey on our last stay which was from Friday (9/10/21) to Monday morning. On both Friday and Saturday nights there were a lot of events with locals attending. The fitness center is a bit tricky. It's open 24 hours, but if you try to get in when the spa is closed, you need a code which no one mentions (we had a tour of the spa to check out the fitness facilities). There is a nice running trail across the street that you can take down to the waterfront. The happy hour in the lounge is nothing to write home about. The food offerings varied during our total of 5 nights there.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by derretter
Does anybody know why the Hilton rebooked me "due to sudden unforeseen circumstances we must relocate you to our sister hotel" Canopy Reykjavík by Hilton? Seems like the end of september and whole october is closed for new reservations in both hotels.
If you're being relocated without having to pay the cost difference, consider yourself lucky. I've stayed at both, and the Canopy is a nice boutique hotel in town centre. The Hilton, on the other hand, is a mass market hotel at the edge of town (still walkable to town centre - about 15 minutes). I stayed there twice this past July & August (pre- and post-cruise), and I believe that Silversea cruise regretted putting us there, based on the many complaints from their customers.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 6:29 pm

If you're being relocated without having to pay the cost difference, consider yourself lucky. I've stayed at both, and the Canopy is a nice boutique hotel in town centre.
Totally agree, having stayed at both. The Canopy can be almost 2x the cost as the Nordica for the smaller, although better designed, base rooms.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
If you're being relocated without having to pay the cost difference, consider yourself lucky. I've stayed at both, and the Canopy is a nice boutique hotel in town centre. The Hilton, on the other hand, is a mass market hotel at the edge of town (still walkable to town center - about 15 minutes). I stayed there twice this past July & August (pre- and post-cruise), and I believe that Silversea cruise regretted putting us there, based on the many complaints from their customers.
Likewise I have been moved to the canopy and as a diamond member I am rather aggrieved as I lose out on the lounge and had wanted a hotel with spa and sauna.

The idea they would have charged me for this move is ludicrous as while I accept the canopy is likely to better, this is walking by any other name.

I wrote back to the hotel and they immediately responded saying I will get the same benefits at the canopy and they have offered to switch me to the Konsulate for 2 of the 4 nights. I wont change, but but it was a decent offer. Seems they have a lot of groups and may be restricted in capacity by Covid.

Not great but it could have been worse.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Anyone been here in 2022 yet? If so, what were your experiences?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
Anyone been here in 2022 yet? If so, what were your experiences?
october 21- not a good experience.

They have no parking and the car park less than 50m from hotel closes overnight.

reception staff were not good and it took 3 days to talk to a manager. She was very good but by then the damage done.

Rooms, food, restaurant staff all superb.

Noise during the night from banging doors and glass disposal from the pub next door was intolerable.

I would not go back!

if you don’t need to be in town the the Hilton out of town may be better. I had a car for touring so needed parking and I had wanted spa and pool and these services are not available. I was moved and rather fell for the “it’s a better hotel”

I know some people love this hotel and enjoy it. So do further research
Old Feb 3, 2022, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by binman
october 21- not a good experience.

They have no parking and the car park less than 50m from hotel closes overnight.

reception staff were not good and it took 3 days to talk to a manager. She was very good but by then the damage done.

Rooms, food, restaurant staff all superb.

Noise during the night from banging doors and glass disposal from the pub next door was intolerable.

I would not go back!

if you don’t need to be in town the the Hilton out of town may be better. I had a car for touring so needed parking and I had wanted spa and pool and these services are not available. I was moved and rather fell for the “it’s a better hotel”

I know some people love this hotel and enjoy it. So do further research
In your earlier post, you said that you had been walked from the Hilton Nordica to the Canopy. So, is the above in regards to the Canopy?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:38 am

In your earlier post, you said that you had been walked from the Hilton Nordica to the Canopy. So, is the above in regards to the Canopy?
yes it is the canopy. I was transferred in advance of my stay. I wrote to the canopy to ask about parking but they never replied. On arrival at 1am, they couldn’t have cared less and it went downhill from their. I have to take some responsibility as I was one grumpy customer having had to walk about a kilometre back from where I eventually parked to the hotel in pouring rain. I was soaked through! So between my mood and their attitude it didn’t make for a happy time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.