Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

old Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol {NLD} (hotel closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

old Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol {NLD} (hotel closed)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:08 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
Originally Posted by MusicMan
We are flying to Amsterdam tomorrow from Dublin, and are staying at the Airport Hilton. Is there a shuttle bus from the terminal to the hotel? How do we get there? Thanks for your input...
The hotel is a 500 metre walk, either outside or via the connecting raised tunnel (it's signposted) with walkways (go right to the end and down the stairs/lifts).
There is also a shuttle bus - but I suspect that's just for our American friends !!
Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Travel The World
The hotel is a 500 metre walk, either outside or via the connecting raised tunnel (it's signposted) with walkways (go right to the end and down the stairs/lifts).
There is also a shuttle bus - but I suspect that's just for our American friends !!
Enjoyed and agreed with your comment, even though I am an American. In July, took the shuttle to the hotel when I landed since I did not know where it was, but then walked back to the train to visit the city. Walked on return to the hotel and to the airport for my flight the next day - like the exercise and the weather was nice.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 5:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Plat
I was also at this hotel for two nights last week. It was quite ok and the staff is good. If any complaint, it is the everpresent smoke in the executive lounge, lobby, bar, etc. While using the computer in the business center the smoke that wafted in was overpowering.

Breakfast was in the restaurant downstairs, but I heard staff tell someone (with a dog) that breakfast would resume in the lounge next week. I guess they can bring the dog to the lounge but not the restaurant (drawing my own conclusion from what I overheard). Nice selection of snacks and wine/drinks in the lounge, but smoky.

There also is a small gym with a sauna that we used, accessed by your key card. You can also smell smoke in the gym because that floor is filled with meeting rooms that allow smoking.

Taking the train to central Amsterdam was easy once you found out where to buy the tickets and catch the trains. The Hilton is an easy walk from the airport, and someone will surely be glad to point the way. The hotel doesn't have the atmosphere of a leisure hotel so if I were going to Amsterdam purely for leisure I wouldn't want to be in this location.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctkathy
I was also at this hotel for two nights last week. It was quite ok and the staff is good. If any complaint, it is the everpresent smoke in the executive lounge, lobby, bar, etc. While using the computer in the business center the smoke that wafted in was overpowering.

Breakfast was in the restaurant downstairs, but I heard staff tell someone (with a dog) that breakfast would resume in the lounge next week. I guess they can bring the dog to the lounge but not the restaurant (drawing my own conclusion from what I overheard). Nice selection of snacks and wine/drinks in the lounge, but smoky.

There also is a small gym with a sauna that we used, accessed by your key card. You can also smell smoke in the gym because that floor is filled with meeting rooms that allow smoking.

Taking the train to central Amsterdam was easy once you found out where to buy the tickets and catch the trains. The Hilton is an easy walk from the airport, and someone will surely be glad to point the way. The hotel doesn't have the atmosphere of a leisure hotel so if I were going to Amsterdam purely for leisure I wouldn't want to be in this location.
I agree 100% with you about the really heavy cloying annoying tobacco smoke everywhere in the AMS Airport Hilton. No more stays for me. When I returned to the USA everything in my luggage was reeking of tobacco smoke so everything had to be washed and/or drycleaned. It is exactly the opposite in the Amsterdam Hilton on Appolostaat.

MisterNice
Old Aug 31, 2005, 8:55 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
I have to say that having stayed there twice in the last few weeks, I didn't notice the tobacco smell to the extent of the last couple of posts.
There were people smoking in the club room once, and we left. But I never noticed it anywhere else in the hotel.

Normally I'm quite sensitive to tobacco smoke, and you come to expect it in continental Europe .... but in Amsterdam city centre the tobacco smells different
Old Oct 5, 2005, 3:41 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
? about charges for a guest in AMS Hilton

Hiya,
I am headed there in November for a couple nights. There is a possibility that an old girlfriend may catch up with me there for a few days. Now, the hotel is a bit pricey for her to stay on her own and I offered the option of staying with me(ain't I chivalrous? ). My question is: will the hotel frown upon this, possibly add charges, both, or none? I won't know if she is coming until after I hit the ground in AMS and have probably already checked in.

I recall something like this being mentioned in earlier thread, but I searched and I couldn't get to the answer.

Thanks
Old Oct 5, 2005, 3:54 pm

If it's the Schiphol location you're staying at (which is possible, given the usage of the airport code), then they may hit you with the second person charge, because it appears that they have an additional for the second person. (On my test booking, the in-city location did not.)

You could always just say nothing about the second person, and hope that no one notices. Personally, though, I'd book the second person now and eat the extra cost (about 25 Euro or so). If they decide to charge you for the second person at the time of check-in, they could well charge you the going rates for rooms (which could be more).

Besides, the extra money spent means more points.

Mike
Old Oct 5, 2005, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
wife stays free

Id book for one If they ask why her name on passport is different just say you're newlie weds. then they will give you some champagne for being so nosy
Old Oct 5, 2005, 5:00 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Thanks for the info.
I am staying at the Hilton downtown, so looks like I should be ok. Didn't think to run alternate itinraries (1 for 1 person, another for 2 people).

Here's hoping!
Old Oct 5, 2005, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
one other thing

Originally Posted by liveon777
Thanks for the info.
I am staying at the Hilton downtown, so looks like I should be ok. Didn't think to run alternate itinraries (1 for 1 person, another for 2 people).

Here's hoping!
It's not really "downtown" it is a wonderful hotel. For Nov keep checking you rates, you might discover that it's 50 euro less closer to your date. no pun intended
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:33 am

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
Hilton AMS Schipol Airport...chances for Gold upgrade? Edit: Yes!

I will stay at the Hilton at AMS airport for the first time. I have booked a regular rate (non-discounted) and will stay a night from sunday to monday. Do you have any experiences with upgrade availability for a Gold member at this Hilton? Are my chances pretty OK if staying from sun-mon?

Is the Executive Level sth to write home about?

Thanks for your help,
Guido

Last edited by berlinflyer; Apr 23, 2006 at 9:23 am
Old Apr 19, 2006, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My upgrade success rate is 100% as Gold or Diamond. Actually not too much difference between any of the rooms in my opinion.

MisterNice
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:09 pm

exec level rooms are no bigger than regular rooms however, the exec lounge is good.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Always been upgraded there as a Gold, rooms are really small, as is the lounge, but the service is okay and you have nice views of the Zwanenburgbaan and the G pier of Schiphol.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:56 pm

Programs: Onepass Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Worldperks, AAdvantage
I was there on a Saturday in July and they allowed us to have breakfast downstairs in the restaurant. It was a huge spread. The lounge is fair with minimal snacks. We received a nice note from the manager as well as a in of dutch cookies. the prior stay we received a tin of Black licorice...yuck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.