Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

old Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol {NLD} (hotel closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

old Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol {NLD} (hotel closed)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2002, 6:28 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gottigotti:
If you are not ultraloyal to Hilton the Sheraton at AMS is much nicer.</font>
As a gold or diamond, I have ALWAYS, ALWAYS been upgraded to Executive level at both Hiltons in Amsterdam. Going on 6 years straight.

PS: train runs every 10 minutes during peak times of day. Every 25 after that I believe.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 4:28 am

Internet Access At Hilton Schiphol?

Any idea if the Hilton Schiphol has high-speed internet access available in the rooms? The website isn't particularly clear about it and I can't call Hilton from my present location easily.
Old Dec 29, 2002, 12:14 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
Any idea if the Hilton Schiphol has high-speed internet access available in the rooms? The website isn't particularly clear about it and I can't call Hilton from my present location easily.</font>
I've stayed there back in Spring, and I can't remember High Speed Internet access in the room. I did not look too closely for it, though, as I was there just the one night before my flight.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Dec 29, 2002, 12:27 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
Any idea if the Hilton Schiphol has high-speed internet access available in the rooms? The website isn't particularly clear about it and I can't call Hilton from my present location easily.</font>
Sean,

I stayed there last spring. The answer is yes, you can have high speed internet access on an ISDN line. But you won't like the rate. They charge 90 euros per day for high speed access. I was sure they misunderstood and meant 9 euros. But after a long discussion with the manager he assured me that was the going rate. His explanation was he was only passing along the phone company charges. Naturally I passed.

The next week I stayed at the Victoria downtown. The charge there was about $10 per day, more in line with expectations.

------------------
danville 1K
Old Dec 29, 2002, 12:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by danville 1K:
The answer is yes, you can have high speed internet access on an ISDN line. </font>
Well, I would not call an ISDN line (64Kbit) high-speed, really...;-)! Also you'd probably need European ISDN-equipment (DSS-1 compatible) to use it which most people (even most Europeans) won't have for their laptop, so I guess this option will not do Sean any good...

90 Euros per day is pretty much, but considering that lines are always metered here, this is basically the charge for 24 hours of local calls including a hotel surcharge...e.g. in Germany 24 hours of Internet access run around 30-45 Euros.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Dec 29, 2002, 2:22 am

I am in shock. Good lord. It's probably cheaper for me to dialup long distance!
Old Dec 29, 2002, 4:17 am

I am in shock. Good lord. It's probably cheaper for me to dialup long distance!</font>
To relief you a bit...the figures above are for 24 hours continuous dialup. In Germany you usually pay about 2-3ct per minute for dialup Internet-Access, both with modem or ISDN. Hotels usually impose a surcharge on that, so I guess you'd be paying something lik 4-6ct per minute there.

OT: If you are at home and use Internet as much as I do, over here one usually has some kind of broadband access (usually DSL, to a lesser extend cable- or powerline technology), with then can come with a flat-rate of 20-50 Euros per month or a rate based on volume of data transfered (e.g. something like 5GB free, each additional MB at 2ct for 15Euro or so per month).

Greetings - Dirk
Old Dec 29, 2002, 5:13 am
Suspended

B 747, there are several Internet Stations located within Schiphol Airport, I have never checked how much they charge, or if you can log on for free, but if you only need some minutes that should be fine.

Beside that I can recommend to ask at the World Trade Center, located between the Terminal and the Hilton.It is a fairly big complex of offices etc. and I guess they can help you out as well

Old Feb 19, 2003, 7:32 am

AMS Hilton Surprising Holland special

Just back from this hotel. We had booked a surprising holland special, quoted 126euro a night, pay for 2 nights get 3rd free, included tax and buffet breakfast! Sounded great til I requested a rollaway before leaving (we are diamond, I had booked 1 adult and 1 child since spouse stays free) and was told we would have to book queen executive room to fit 3 people and would cost 50euro more a night! I did that. Then when we arrived we were told we could get free cont brk in lounge, but would cost 22euro each for buffet! Lounge is nice, but not that much food. So the second day I talked to front desk about this and she told me yes we could eat in buffet for free. We were on the list for free brk the 2nd day, but 3rd day they tried to make us pay, so I said no front desk told us it was free! I am not sure who was right, but we did not pay for 2nd or 3rd day brk. Then when we recieved our bill, we were charged 176 euro for all 3 nights!!! This was over twice the amount I originally thought we would be charged! I called front desk, they said bill was correct, room rate was 265 a night but system has to charge each night, so 265 times 2 nights, divided by 3 nights is 176 euro that I was charged!!! I was never told this, I booked the resv myself with 800#. When someone tells me pay for 2 nights get 3rd free, I thought the bill would be 176 euro times 2=352 euro! (Not 528) After much decussion, they adjusted our bill!!! They said they would have to adjust the wording or this special! I guess free doesn't always mean free! At arrival I asked for upgrade but was told none were available. We had a canal view, but only on 3rd floor, so not much of a view (building across canal are 5 stories high). Is that normal for executive floors to be so low, I thought exec floor meant a higher floor. They delivered a bottle of spumanti and mixed nuts to our room. (nice) Hotel is nice, location is fairly close to tram and museums. Not sure if I would stay again! Has anyone else booked a special at any Hilton, pay for some nights, get 1 free? If so, how did yours turn out?
Old Feb 19, 2003, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold

Just stayed there a few weeks ago. Executive floors are 8 & 9. I was on 8. Got water and a bottle of wine as my stay amenity. I never got a chance to drink the wine though. Next time!

I thought the breakfast in the lounge was just fine. Plenty of pastry, boiled eggs, fruit, meats, juice, coffee... I guess if you prefer a hot breakfast then the standard european breakfast isn't for you.

I would definately stay there again.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 2:15 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by adgtravel:
I called front desk, they said bill was correct, room rate was 265 a night but system has to charge each night, so 265 times 2 nights, divided by 3 nights is 176 euro that I was charged!!! I was never told this, I booked the resv myself with 800#. When someone tells me pay for 2 nights get 3rd free, I thought the bill would be 176 euro times 2=352 euro!</font>
I agree that this is confusing and misleading. The problem is Hilton quote the discounted rate, not the regular rate, and say "stay 3 nights & pay for 2". They should do one or the other - not both.

Old Feb 20, 2003, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I've always enjoyed staying there. The Amsterdam Hilton.

I never have to ask for an upgrade. I seem to get them automatically.

But maybe just the rate alone for being so low would have been an indication that there might be something 'wrong'?

[This message has been edited by Guy Betsy (edited 02-20-2003).]
Old Feb 20, 2003, 2:06 pm

Amsterdam Airport

In 2 weeks I have to be in Schiphol for a meeting. Is the Hilton convenient or is the Sheraton better? Please advise.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 2:22 pm

What do you consider a normal rate? Hilton offered this rate, I did not think we would have problems just because we booked a speical rate. I have never stayed there before, so I did not know what rate they usually charge. Someone had posted a rate of 65-75 euro at the Marriott, so I thought we were paying a high rate compared to that. We booked executive floor, but were put on floor 3. Our diamond status certainly did not help us at this hotel.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 2:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cruising:
In 2 weeks I have to be in Schiphol for a meeting. Is the Hilton convenient or is the Sheraton better? Please advise.</font>
The Hilton is very convient. If you have status at Hitlon stay or if Sheraton than take a rest at the Sheraton. Both are easily accesibile from AMS. Enjoy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.