Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Has anyone traveled here on solo stay? Do they treat you better if 1 guest instead of two?
On contraire, this hotel appears to be super family and big party friendly. They know they have the most coveted pool (for kids) in the area. Personally, my favorite pool is the Adults only at the Wailea (Marriott), but do not complain about the adults only pool at the Grand Wailea or the Andaz pools.

I can guarantee you that as a solo traveler, you will have a great stay as a Diamond. You can maybe tell them you are staying with an imaginary friend to take advantage of the $50 resort credit per night that is being applied to all Golds and Diamonds instead of the daily breakfast ($25 if staying solo). It ended up showing as a lump sum when I checked out.

Also, yes, I just checked and the 95K points per night for Christmas and New Year's stays are completely gone, as stated in this thread by other FTers. Good thing we didn't even hesitate and just made the transfers from Amex MR to Hilton Honnors Points even without the booster to 2.6 Points per 1 MR Point like last year.
kirkwoodj, felicity5 and Gertjaars like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 6:35 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I have a solo stay here for 2 nights in March as a Diamond. Will report back! I was just curious if any solo travelers here had any good experiences. and LOL @ the imaginary friend idea. I guess I'll mention at check in
Originally Posted by carlitos
On contraire, this hotel appears to be super family and big party friendly. They know they have the most coveted pool (for kids) in the area. Personally, my favorite pool is the Adults only at the Wailea (Marriott), but do not complain about the adults only pool at the Grand Wailea or the Andaz pools.

I can guarantee you that as a solo traveler, you will have a great stay as a Diamond. You can maybe tell them you are staying with an imaginary friend to take advantage of the $50 resort credit per night that is being applied to all Golds and Diamonds instead of the daily breakfast ($25 if staying solo). It ended up showing as a lump sum when I checked out.

Also, yes, I just checked and the 95K points per night for Christmas and New Year's stays are completely gone, as stated in this thread by other FTers. Good thing we didn't even hesitate and just made the transfers from Amex MR to Hilton Honnors Points even without the booster to 2.6 Points per 1 MR Point like last year.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 6:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I need a 3 night award stay but looks like minimum stay is 4 nights. Anybody know if I booked for 4 nights can I call central reservations and have them drop a night and getting points back?

Originally Posted by Megan Murray
I’ve been looking for availability for the 95,000 standard rooms and it seems only a handful of nights are available in 2022. Do these now sell out as soon as they’re released? When I booked for 2021 they seemed freely available throughout the month of August and now there are none for August 2022. I’m debating whether to save them for a trip to the Grand Wailea in 2023 or spend them now at the Waldorf in Orlando for 80,000 a night / $800 a night.
I see availability for August but minimum 4 night stay.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: DL PLT, 1MM,PC Plat,HH Diamond,SkyClub, member All programs
Not sure if this means anything, but I am cancelling a 7 night stay, 2/10-17 at standard points room rate. Not sure if/when these become available but putting it out there.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Life. Marriott T/Life, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond,UA 1K
Originally Posted by carlitos
Ja, just getting back from 10 nights (Christmas and New Years) at the Grand Wailea. And I was just pit stopping to tell a little about my stay, and now I see I can book again for the end of the year

Thanks for the alert drekin !! Just got in again for New Years 2022/2023

Clarification: after landing on a Red Eye from Vegas, I just made two reservations back to back (my SO and myself) for 5 nights each, starting on December 22 and checking out on January 1st, 2023. At the beginning, even though Amex transfers to Hilton immediately, the system wasn't recognizing the new balance, although it clearly showed it. But after a couple minutes, it did, and the two double beds option for 380K HH Points worked. This year past year (12/23/2021), we were upgraded as Golds to an Ocean View room for the 10 nights, so maybe we can score the same upgrade next year

I used to go to the Marriott Wailea next door, and did for 2017, 2018 & 2019 during New Years. But you can't beat the Hilton, as Marriott does charge a Resort Fee even with points, they only give you a crappy Starbucks coffee, pastry and cup of fruit as Titanium and never upgrade you even to partial ocean view. In the past, I only booked with them because the total points for 5 nights was super cheap. This year not only do they want an insane amount of points in their own currency, but they are about to switch also to dynamic pricing in march, which, of course, makes the Grand Wailea a no brainer.
as a Marriott and Hilton loyalist I found the Marriott to be better on this trip
as previously highlighted the lobby atmosphere is gone at the Hilton due to refurb.
Breakfast
Stayed 5 nights at Grand Wailea and as a Diamond I was able to use the $50/day food money. We then stayed 10 days at the Marriott
For some of the time there were 4 of us and the daily Starbucks Marriott credit was $44 vs $50 at the Grand wailea.
Resort fee and parking
The resort fee was zero at grand wailea but $40 at Marriott but parking was $65 at the Grand wailea vs $35 at the Marriott so for a 5 night stay it was relatively similar
Marriott upgraded our room to ground floor ocean view with a deck by the infinity pool . Previous years have had a regular room and also ocean view and oceanfront so previous poster may not have been upgraded but fairs fair to give credit. On this occasion we just got a regular high floor room at Hilton
if I was going again before lobby construction is done I would pick another Wailea resort vs the Grand wailea and defer staying there until construction is finished

Last edited by GLOBALFLYERCT; Jan 24, 2022 at 5:41 am
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by GLOBALFLYERCT
if I was going again before lobby construction is done I would pick another Wailea resort vs the Grand wailea and defer staying there until construction is finished
Any idea when that is going to be?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I didn't find the construction obtrusive when we were there during the day - couldn't hear anything. However, you are correct the "atmosphere" is gone of walking in and getting the vista over the water feature to the ocean. I think they did a good job of blocking the construction off (didn't look like scaffolding, looked like just walls). If you hadn't been there before I'd say you wouldn't even notice anything.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Any idea when that is going to be?
Better be ready by next December And looking forward to that new restaurant in the lobby. Maybe the vibe will return

Now, related to what GLOBALFLYERCT said comparing the two Wailea properties, I think it ends up being what each family likes the most.

For me, Starbucks is just overrated at the Marriott, as during the morning I can go get coffee and my tropical scone to the market by the mall, and I usually use my $50 daily credit for F&B at the Adults Pool in the Grand Wailea. That is imposible to use at the Wailea Marriott, as you are stuck with coffee, pastry and fruit at both locations they offer it.
Also, when in Wailea, I Never rent a car, so I do not pay resort fees nor parking at the Grand Wailea. If I am touring the island and doing the road to
Hana (after two times, I am over that already), I would stay at a low end AirBnB and not waste a day at a cool resort like the ones in the Wailea area by the ocean.

But well, at this point, it is 280,000 points for the 5 nights at the Marriott Wailea (available as of now for Christmas and NY23) vs 380,000 points at the Waldorf Grand Wailea (rate gone for Christmas and NY23). For my personal case, with points in both accounts, I still need Amex MR Points. So, considering Membership Rewards transfer 1-1 to Marriott and 1-2 to Hilton, that ends up costing:

- Marriott W = 280,000 Membership Rewards points for 5 nights + resort fees
- Hilton GW = 190,000 Membership Reward points for 5 night

I will leave it a that
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:56 pm

Has anyone visit the Omo lounge recently? How is it? Can it be added to a points reservation? Thanks.

Last edited by asdfghjk; Jan 24, 2022 at 3:01 pm
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:16 pm

I contacted the hotel regarding Omo lounge. It is $175/day prior to arrival, $250/day on arrival.
Any reviews regarding the continental breakfast and happy hour at the lounge? Thanks.

Last edited by asdfghjk; Jan 28, 2022 at 3:25 pm
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
When we were there in October, the Omo Lounge was supposed to be available to people who had booked Napua Tower, but couldn't actually use the Napua Tower due to the construction. But, at the last minute, they closed the Napua Tower, started the construction, then closed Omo Lounge as there wasn't enough demand. So I would check closely to see what the status is at any given moment.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Really hoping that our five night reward stay in mid Feb actually happens (we cancelled in 2021). Now are thinking it will, we are starting to plan some details and I was “shocked” to see that car parking is $65 per day. Call me a cheapskate but can we park anywhere nearby for less or even free?

Any other tips for first timers to this resort very welcome too (we generally don’t stay in resort hotels).
Old Jan 29, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: WN A-List, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
So unless it's recently changed, I believe there is free untimed street parking on Kaukahi St. past the Fairmont. Unless things have changed, this would not be "sketchy" parking. It would also not be convenient parking for the W-A. - almost a mile away.. That said, if you could get a cheap car rental at the airport (prices vary dramatically based on demand), it could be your best transport choice. Obviously, you wouldn't use the car during your stay at Wailea unless you really needed it.
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Really hoping that our five night reward stay in mid Feb actually happens (we cancelled in 2021). Now are thinking it will, we are starting to plan some details and I was “shocked” to see that car parking is $65 per day. Call me a cheapskate but can we park anywhere nearby for less or even free?

Any other tips for first timers to this resort very welcome too (we generally don’t stay in resort hotels).
Quoted a post from way upthread that pointed me to the free street parking a mile south. That was the only place I could find -- all the other hotels' parking is for guests only -- and so we did the street parking for the two nights of our stay. I agree that it didn't seem sketchy and that it is pretty inconvenient for the Grand Wailea because of the distance -- it felt brutal making the walk back in the peak heat one afternoon. Other walks when I wasn't already tired felt fine. The beach parking down there was blocked off for repaving or something, so it may be a little more crowded during peak beach times than usual until that lot is back, but we didn't have any trouble parking at 2pm when we first arrived or around sunset after some excursions.

On the last day I was able to get away with a couple of hours at the closer beach parking and then a couple hours after shopping at the nearby shopping center. But neither of those options works for overnight.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
If you're not used to staying in resorts, especially coming from the UK, just be prepared for everything to be way more expensive than you are expecting - food, drinks, etc. You might want to stock your room with your cocktail/wine fixings, there is the Island Market next door at the Shops at Wailea, and also Safeway further away in Kihei. Most restaurants have their menus with prices on line so you can get an idea of costs. Can't help you with the parking, it is what it is. And don't forget to tip when they bring the car around. Some people tip in both directions but we've never done that.

Be thankful that you're on an award stay so you aren't also socked with the resort fee.
LovePrunes and SavvyTravel like this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 6:35 am

Can't imagine coming all the way to Maui from wherever to stay at this beautiful and expensive resort, and then walk a MILE each way to my car off property every time I wanted to use it. Just pay to park (chalk it up to part of your cost) and RELAX, is my recommendation, and I'm not "wealthy." But this seems like not the way to vacation. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.