Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Old Mar 23, 19, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sargenet View Post
We are here now. As others have posted they do offer the continental breakfast which is a nice alternative and matches the spirit of the benefit. We actually didnít mind paying $20pp to upgrade to the buffet.

One disappontment was we had thought about having the Sunday brunch and applying the credit but that is now not an option. So we will just have breakfast with the credit instead.
Win some, lose some at this Property. If you don't have the Aspire credit to burn, this latest change is probably for the better. With the credit, you lose choice. It would now be foolish to "eat around" on the breakfast menu. And Brunch now makes no sense if you're a Gold or higher. I'm glad I got my stay in under the last rule. But, of course, the benefit will likely be different next month!
Old Mar 23, 19, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BlueZebra View Post
I think you misunderstood. Did your bill reflect a charge? Was it a "for an extra $XXX/night, we will upgrade you to the Napua Tower"?
I booked my room on points. The room type was terrace view but upgraded to napua club ocean at check in.
Old Mar 23, 19, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mediator View Post

I booked my room on points. The room type was terrace view but upgraded to napua club ocean at check in.
I don't understand, and I don't think I'm alone, what "Napua Club Ocean" is if you don't have access to the lounge/amenities for free? You said on your other thread that lounge access would be an extra charge - how much per night?
Old Mar 23, 19, 1:59 pm

Not worth your time

I am in my second day of the stay and I thought maybe worth to write a mini review. My conclusion, Grand Wailea is not on par with other luxury resorts such as Ritz Carlton Kapulua or Andaz Maui.
1. Check in takes ages. While I understand it is spring break and hotel is at full capacity but still.
2. My keycard fail to work the second time when I try to reenter my room. Digital key doesnít work either. So a trip to front desk and half an hour wait to have my key recoded.
3. Beach is disorganized. The beach attendant doesnít know where to get the towels. He was trying to remove as many chairs as he could. He even consolidated my stuff with other peopleís stuff while I was in the water. Unbelievable.
4. Breakfast is a chaos. There was a wait even at 8am. Most buffet items were never replenished. Service is poor, my drinks were rarely refilled. Island Gourmet Markets is really your best bet for breakfast.
Old Mar 23, 19, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
I don't understand, and I don't think I'm alone, what "Napua Club Ocean" is if you don't have access to the lounge/amenities for free? You said on your other thread that lounge access would be an extra charge - how much per night?
Sorry I should have explained better. I booked the terrace room on point. During check in, I noticed my room type changed to napua club ocean on the app. I assumed this is a complimentary upgrade due to my diamond status. However my keycard does not work on the metal gate to the club. I asked about napua club access at front desk, I was told the cost would be $250 per night. The conclusion is although I was upgraded to a club room for free, the actual access to the club is not free.
Old Mar 23, 19, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mediator View Post

Sorry I should have explained better. I booked the terrace room on point. During check in, I noticed my room type changed to napua club ocean on the app. I assumed this is a complimentary upgrade due to my diamond status. However my keycard does not work on the metal gate to the club. I asked about napua club access at front desk, I was told the cost would be $250 per night. The conclusion is although I was upgraded to a club room for free, the actual access to the club is not free.
What did you say when they told you that? Is the room itself that much better than a standard ocean view room? Are you in the actual tower (which I've heard can be noisy with bar noise echoing up) - is it?
Old Mar 23, 19, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
If your room is not inside the gate, you are not in a Napua Club room. The app appears to be wrong.
Old Mar 24, 19, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by NYC_1 View Post
Currently at the GW on a five night point stay, thoughts and experiences below:

- the resort upgraded us to a Napua Club suite for no extra charge, which based on what Iíve read seems to be extremely fortunate. I did ask about paid upgrades and this is where they put us before we arrived.

- check in was a little disorganized. A few wrong turns based on staff instructions were quickly sorted out. The front desk person was very pleasant. I asked for a map and which way the elevator was, and she pointed us the wrong way. She didnít describe the breakfast benefit, but that was probably because of the Napua benefits. Bags arrived quickly, and despite the missteps we were happy with the service.

- our room is fantastic. Weíre really lucky to have received the upgrade. Amazing view of the pacific, resort grounds and we are directly above the Napua lounge.

- Napua benefits have been far better than expected based on what Iíve read here. The breakfast this morning had hot food (eggs, bacon, sausage, banana pancakes), fruit, pasteries, bread, cheese, etc. Basically everything you get at the full buffet minus the omelette station. The afternoon and evening options are nice as well, borderline replaceable for dinner even. I would definitely pay for the upgrade if necessary if we ever come back.

Weíve stayed at the Four Seasons Maui and Four Seasons Lanai (no kids in Lanai) in the past seven months. Both are more luxurious (especially the Four Seasons Lanai), but the kids are bouncing off the walls about the things to do and the pool. Itís really as good as they say, or even better. The pool area at the Maui Four Seasons is very lacking imo.

The staff has has been very good so far ó not quite the level I expected but everyone has been pleasant. Calling the font desk to ask for a blanket for the pull out bed took 3 minutes (not a big deal but a bit odd), you do your own beach chair towel set up (also fine but strange for a five star hotel).

Generally Iíd say that this resort has most of the things Iím looking for in a family vacation without some of the more elite level service touches youíll find at the Four Seasons. But Iíd choose this place over either of those two for this particular trip.

The last point Iíll make is regarding the size of this place - I was expecting a lot more people. The resort is either full of very close to it and we havenít ever really felt like we are in a crowded place. This isnít the ultra luxury seclusion thing but itís not nearly as crazy here as I expected. The resort layout really helps in this respect.
am about to stay at GW on points. Did you do app check in before your arrival or did you get Napua upgrade while doing the inperson check-in? Thanks
Old Mar 24, 19, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by zmicer88 View Post

am about to stay at GW on points. Did you do app check in before your arrival or did you get Napua upgrade while doing the inperson check-in? Thanks
I asked via the app about paid upgrades the day before check in and they said they couldnít confirm then but to ask when we arrived. We arrived around 3:30 Pm, and shortly before then the room assignment was listed in the app with the upgrade.
Old Mar 24, 19, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by NYC_1 View Post

I asked via the app about paid upgrades the day before check in and they said they couldnít confirm then but to ask when we arrived. We arrived around 3:30 Pm, and shortly before then the room assignment was listed in the app with the upgrade.
Thanks much for the DP. Seems like I might need to do in-person check-in for a better chance of an upgrade.
Old Mar 26, 19, 9:19 pm

March 2019

Last edited by Kecrowl; Mar 27, 19 at 10:04 am Reason: Date
Old Mar 26, 19, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kecrowl View Post
I am here now. I am Diamond thanks to the aspire card. I booked 5 nights on pts and a 6th night using the aspire weekend night certificate. I called two days before check in and confirmed an upgrade from a Terrace King to a Garden 2 Queens. I don't know if it is a true upgrade but we needed the second bed so I was happy. I am guessing that Terrace is ground level and Garden is second level. I don't see that there are any terrible views on this property and I am happy with a view of fruit trees from the second level. Check in was a little bit of a mess as when we arrived at 7 PM our room wasn't ready yet. They gave me a $150 resort credit and room was ready within a half hour. The breakfast is a little confusing but I have it figured out now. Basically Hilton Honors get $20 off for up to 2 people to apply to either continental brealeast or the full buffet. So adults can can continental breakfast for free (plate of fruit, 2 pastries and a yogurt parfait) or pay $20 for the full buffet. Kids buffet is under $20 so a kid is free to get the full buffet. I've been taking my daughter to breakfast, she gets the buffet and I get continental. Of course I eat her discarded buffet items and pack up a good portion of my continental breakfast to bring back to my husband (enjoying the time to sleep in). Pool and beach are super crowded as it is spring break. I refuse to line up at 7 am to reserve a chair so instead just drop my bags anywhere while we swim and relax on our room's lanai when not swimming. Parking is a racket - they require valet parking for $35 per night. Instead we park a mile south on street for free (just past the Fairmont) and walk the beautiful beach boardwalk back to the hotel. Overall this place is a dream for my 8 year old kid as the pool is killer. If it was just my husband and I we would much prefer the calmer Fairmont or the 4 seasons.
Where exactly do you park? I hate the idea of paying for parking but had read there arenít any other options. Can you do check in without doing valet? Iím checking in on Friday and would love to avoid the parking charge!
Old Mar 26, 19, 9:33 pm

If you're coming from the north, go south of the hotel one mile on Wailea Alanui Drive (past 4 seasons and past Fairmont) then turn right or go west on Kaukahi Street. There is street parking right away. You can then walk through the Fairmont out to the beach walk to get you back to hotel. My husband dropped us off with luggage when we checked in.
Old Mar 27, 19, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Ladybugmama View Post

Where exactly do you park? I hate the idea of paying for parking but had read there arenít any other options. Can you do check in without doing valet? Iím checking in on Friday and would love to avoid the parking charge!
I believe it's the street right past the Fairmont. You keep heading south and make a right, when the road in front of the GW turns from two lanes into one.

For check-in, you can drop off passengers (and luggage) at the entrance, but of course then the driver will have to walk back all on him/herself. Same goes for check-out. It is almost a mile though, so unless the plan is to never leave the hotel between check-in and check-out, I'd suggest just pay the $35. Personally I hate paying for parking as well, but felt it's too much trouble to avoid it here.
Old Mar 28, 19, 9:03 pm

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by BlueZebra View Post
The ones with the TVs are the family cabanas, seat about 8, and you get a ton more stuff than the smaller cabanas. If you watch the stuff they do and bring for the family cabanas, I think you might have a different opinion.
i think the cabanas with the tv cost more compared to the smaller cabanas
i agree that itís expensive. We would save money by staying elsewhere.
I am super excited for this trip and we leave in 9 days. Big yay!

btw we donít travel enough to have status, but our basic room has a mini fridge and k/cup coffee machine which is perfectly adequate for me. I still enjoy the cafe. Sometimes we walk or drive into Wailea / Kihei - I love Paia fish market and monkey pod and the cafe near monkey pod.

I hope that everyone is enjoying their visit now.

Search this Thread