Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you really need a car every day? It would be easier and cheaper to Uber/Lyft/Taxi for local stuff and then rent a car for the day on site. But if planning on being out and about every or most every day just need to figure out if want to walk a mile or pay the parking fees.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Thanks all for the helpful tips. We weren’t sure about needing a car for the time we are at GW but as we need one for the rest of the time we are on Maui, it made sense to have one for the duration.

That’s partly why the valet parking is a minor pain as we’re not used to the idea - instead just using the car as and when; instead every time we use it we’ll be paying a $10 tip. Hey ho. We’ll just relax and hit the credit card hard.

Last edited by SavvyTravel; Feb 1, 2022 at 9:10 am Reason: Way too generous a tip
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
A $5 tip to the valet when they bring the car around is perfectly appropriate.
kthpence and SavvyTravel like this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Thanks all for the helpful tips. We weren’t sure about needing a car for the time we are at GW but as we need one for the rest of the time we are on Maui, it made sense to have one for the duration.

That’s partly why the valet parking is a minor pain as we’re not used to the idea - instead just using the car as and when; instead every time we use it we’ll be paying a $10 tip. Hey ho. We’ll just relax and hit the credit card hard.
you are tipping WAYYYYYYY too much if you give the valet $10
$5 is generous. I got no problem tipping $2 or $3 even depending on situation there or anywhere else
SFO 1K, kthpence and SavvyTravel like this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
you are tipping WAYYYYYYY too much if you give the valet $10
$5 is generous. I got no problem tipping $2 or $3 even depending on situation there or anywhere else
for mandatory valet I give $2 tip each time I get the car. I phone valet to ask them to get the car ready, then we walk to valet to get the car and go.
linsj and SavvyTravel like this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
for mandatory valet I give $2 tip each time I get the car. I phone valet to ask them to get the car ready, then we walk to valet to get the car and go.
100%. If you are paying for valet, I usually tip $5 max. I'm surprised to hear though that parking is now $65 at the GW. It was $45 just a year ago, and $40 a year prior to that. $65 is a bit excessive (that's the cost of overnight valet at city hotels in the states), but such is Wailea/Maui.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: United
Not long ago I booked a trip for me and my husband to GW. I was shocked at the valet price, and it certainly is $65 per night. That's going to make me rethink the rental car (which I normally always get just as a matter of course when traveling). I don't suppose there are any hacks to get discounts on the valet?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:23 pm

Just an FYI for anyone considering Ho'Olei, which are the condos associated with the GW - they offer free parking (in a real garage)...AND...we got a placard for free valet any time we went over to the GW. I think before Covid they offered a golf cart shuttle service, but this worked out great for us.

They are 3 BR units, and we got it for approximately the price/points of 3 rooms at the GW, but you get so much more, 3,000 sf of living space. Just a heads up if anyone needs 3 rooms at the GW, this was a much, much better value.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Just an FYI for anyone considering Ho'Olei, which are the condos associated with the GW - they offer free parking (in a real garage)...AND...we got a placard for free valet any time we went over to the GW. I think before Covid they offered a golf cart shuttle service, but this worked out great for us.

They are 3 BR units, and we got it for approximately the price/points of 3 rooms at the GW, but you get so much more, 3,000 sf of living space. Just a heads up if anyone needs 3 rooms at the GW, this was a much, much better value.
I don't know if it's been discussed here already, but fun fact, you can book a 3BR at Ho'olei for 80K/nt with World of Hyatt points.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by tjbrooks
I don't know if it's been discussed here already, but fun fact, you can book a 3BR at Ho'olei for 80K/nt with World of Hyatt points.
Really? But...would a Hyatt booking get you access to all the GW facilities? I know many Ho'O owners rent their condos privately (without Hilton being involved) but those usually do NOT include access to the GW pools, etc. While the private Ho'Olei pool was very nice, it is not the same at all. You might as well rent a much less expensive condo anywhere that has "a" pool. If you don't care about the GW pools (and we did since we had an 11 and 13 year old in tow) then I think finding a bargain like that is great.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Can't imagine coming all the way to Maui from wherever to stay at this beautiful and expensive resort, and then walk a MILE each way to my car off property every time I wanted to use it. Just pay to park (chalk it up to part of your cost) and RELAX, is my recommendation, and I'm not "wealthy." But this seems like not the way to vacation. YMMV
I can't imagine having to call a valet to go get my car and bring it to me and pay 65 dollars for that inconvenience. 15 min walk and some exercise vs making a phone call and waiting for the valet to bring me a car and tipping? No thanks. Super helpful tips in this thread. Are there time limits at the shops and beach parking?
Old Feb 5, 2022, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by jhartt3
I can't imagine having to call a valet to go get my car and bring it to me and pay 65 dollars for that inconvenience. 15 min walk and some exercise vs making a phone call and waiting for the valet to bring me a car and tipping? No thanks. Super helpful tips in this thread. Are there time limits at the shops and beach parking?
And I consider valet parking to be one of the world's greatest gifts . Especially in the heat. And you don't have to call down...we used it when we'd just go over to use the pools/beach and it was super quick. The valet parking lot is right next to the entrance and they have a gaggle of valets so the wait was never more than a minute or two.

Although we didn't have the expense this time, we have in the past and also at every other resort where we've ever stayed. It just is.

And yes the Shops at Wailea do have limited hours parking and I'm not even sure where "beach" parking would be, the resorts line the beach, I know the beaches are public but honestly have no idea where the public beach parking is.

Edit: found the public beach parking on Google maps...it's south of the GW, in between the GW and the FS, and according to google it's only open 7am to 7pm.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Feb 5, 2022 at 7:03 am
Old Feb 5, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Additionally, the beach lot signs specify No Overnight Parking
Old Feb 5, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by jhartt3
You're going to have to walk a lot farther than 15 minutes for overnight parking. Neither the beach nor the shops allow overnight parking and they're well aware of the situation.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Really? But...would a Hyatt booking get you access to all the GW facilities? I know many Ho'O owners rent their condos privately (without Hilton being involved) but those usually do NOT include access to the GW pools, etc. While the private Ho'Olei pool was very nice, it is not the same at all. You might as well rent a much less expensive condo anywhere that has "a" pool. If you don't care about the GW pools (and we did since we had an 11 and 13 year old in tow) then I think finding a bargain like that is great.
I was not aware that you could book Ho'olei through Hyatt, but it is interesting. We absolutely loved our stay there a few years ago. I actually found many dates available at 70K per night. However there is absolutely no reference to use of GW facilities on either the Hyatt site, or Destination Resorts. I think it's fair to assume it's not included. I don't really care about the pools at GW, but having access to their beach setup was nice. Unfortunate that they never seem to offer reasonable points redemption through Hilton anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.