Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Francisco, California {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Francisco, California {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Emerald Club Exec Elite, Air-Kayaker (former United MP)
We Chose FD

Just an update/thanks to the posters here:

Wife and I took our first trip to SFO a few weeks ago, and based on this thread and a couple others, we decided to stay at Hilton Financial District. Prior to going we had narrowed it down to Union Square, Parc 55, and FD. Very pleased with our choice, based on our primary interests/activities...I'll list a few here which might help someone else in the future:

--for us, we like to stay *close* to active areas, but not necessarily right *in* them. Now that we have been to the Union Square area, I can see how the Parc 55 might be a good one to stay for very quick access to all the shops, malls, etc...but we liked that FD was a short walk ~ 1/2 mile? to all of that stuff. We also liked that FD was *right on* the edge of Chinatown and just ~2-3 blocks from Columbus/Little Italy, and not too far of a walk along the esplanade to get to the pier for our Alcatraz tour.

--When we travel to new cities we walk everywhere. For the places we wanted to visit, we found FD to be more centrally located than Union Square or Parc 55. For example, when we went to Union Street/Cow Hollow (*not* Union Square) to shop/browse, we were able to catch a trolley just a couple blocks south of the hotel at California street and ride that all the way up the hill to Van Ness, then just walk up to Union Street.

--Someone here posted about Hunan Home's restaurant in Chinatown just a couple blocks from FD, so we tried it. We indeed had a wonderful dinner here -- best Chinese food we've enjoyed anywhere. Almost went back the second night, but we felt guilty that we ought to try something else! Also found a nice little Thai place just a few blocks from FD north/east of Columbus, and also a Firenze by Night for some Italian food.

--We spent a morning in Union Square also. I could see how that's a fun area, but it's all merchants we find right here at home...typical 'suburban' types of stores...from CVS and The Gap to the higher-end designers (*those* stores would be fun if you're into dropping big coin on clothes/shoes)...so unless you plan to spend a bunch of time shopping, for all the traffic and activity around Parc55 and US Hilton, we felt like the FD was a more unique experience relative to the things we like to do (tour, history, unique boutiques/markets, etc...)

--the full breakfast at the FD Concierge level was solid. We're not big into breakfast as an 'event' type meal -- for us it's more about fuelling up for the day, but it was clean, the attendants were very efficient and kept the place up well, and the food offerings were perfectly fine (eggs, bacon/sausage, fruit, and a few unique items as well).

--we were not able to get a room facing north/bay, but we hardly spend time in there anyway...we did have a balcony on the 27th floor and that was nice. Room was well kept, clean, not super modern, but not outdated either. We're not there to hang out in the room, and it was all on points so we were just happy to be there. Bed was very comfortable, bathroom clean and functional.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Popping in here to say I spent a few nights at both Parc 55 and Union Square. Perfect mattress-run set-up, as they're literally across the street from each other (which wasn't apparent on Google Maps). Union Square was fine, but massive and crowded. I much preferred Parc 55. Quieter, more modern decor and a nicer gym, too.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
WhiteOut - next time for that purpose, head to Union STREET, not square. A 10 minute Uber/cab ride for brunch, coffee, boutiques, etc. in Cow Hollow (aka Pacific Heights adjacent). A quick walk down to the marina green for a walk along the bay with views of the GGB, presidio, Lyon street steps...
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:22 pm

Just chiming in, but perhaps not too relevant to everybody:

I'm huge fan of the Hilton San Francisco Financial District Excellent breakfast - in fact possible the best we've had apart from the breakfast in the restaurant of the WA New York City in 2016 which was exceptional - but still within the same ballpark! I've always had a great upgrade at the hotel (including on July 4th, where we could watch the main fireworks from our room!). It is also quite a bit quieter to walk around there on a weekend (and to drive). We stayed there three times in six weeks because we were treated so well. It is certainly a hotel which is great if you don't mind walking, or getting an Uber (we walked for hours every time we visited! but got a bus or Uber every so often when we were tired out!). The lounge is open 24 hours which is nice for an extra bottle of water, fruit late at night, space to sit and read without dramatically disturbing my wife!

(the only aspect I'd improve are the elevators which can take forever to arrive and transit in either direction due to the number of stops that they make, and the number of people getting on/already in!). Personally, and I know people will differ, I prefer this location than the Parc 55 and Hilton San Francisco Union Square (we also stayed at the Hilton SFO once too but had a dreadful time as cigarette smoke kept coming into our room through a vent, all night - even after calling several times to see if we could deal with the issue).

All-in-all, huge fan.

Last edited by Simon Schus; Jul 28, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold
Hiltons for Mattress run in North Cal/bay area

I asked for a Diamond challenge. They want me to do 21 nights in the next 90 nights. I can probably do about 15. Any suggestions for cheap redemption hotels or cheaper priced Hiltons in Northern California or the bay area? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:09 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Livermore, Pleasanton, and Newark will have options for you...
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:30 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Sometimes the doubletree SFO in Burlingame can get really cheap - I've stayed there for as low as ~ $79/night + tax, especially over the weekend. I'd suggest just searching with the MVP code and seeing what comes up.

EDIT: There's two HGIs for SFO that can occasionally have good rates too.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kpbadger
Sometimes the doubletree SFO in Burlingame can get really cheap - I've stayed there for as low as ~ $79/night + tax, especially over the weekend. I'd suggest just searching with the MVP code and seeing what comes up.

EDIT: There's two HGIs for SFO that can occasionally have good rates too.
Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by searching with MVP code?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Mattress run for Hilton Diamond?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:37 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by blindy
Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by searching with MVP code?
http://stay.hilton.com/mvp/

20% off when available.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:04 am

Hotels can be very expensive in Norcal. Some of the "mattress run" properties mentioned here are north of $300 on random days I checked. So you will be limited to Sunday night stays to get anything affordable. No way 5 nights of that doesn't approach $1,000, IMO.

So, I wouldn't do this challenge. Rather, I'd bank those points from 15 nights, find some cheap HI/HGI (espescially 10k redemption properties) and go for 30 stays for the rest of the year. Of course YMMV but that is what I would do.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
You'll have better luck if you head in toward Sacramento. For example, the weekend of Aug 18 I see hotels under $100/night, even a couple of Hampton Inns for $79 if you use MVP code.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Just chiming in, but perhaps not too relevant to everybody:

I'm huge fan of the Hilton San Francisco Financial District Excellent breakfast - in fact possible the best we've had apart from the breakfast in the restaurant of the WA New York City in 2016 which was exceptional - but still within the same ballpark! I've always had a great upgrade at the hotel (including on July 4th, where we could watch the main fireworks from our room!). It is also quite a bit quieter to walk around there on a weekend (and to drive). We stayed there three times in six weeks because we were treated so well. It is certainly a hotel which is great if you don't mind walking, or getting an Uber (we walked for hours every time we visited! but got a bus or Uber every so often when we were tired out!). The lounge is open 24 hours which is nice for an extra bottle of water, fruit late at night, space to sit and read without dramatically disturbing my wife!

(the only aspect I'd improve are the elevators which can take forever to arrive and transit in either direction due to the number of stops that they make, and the number of people getting on/already in!). Personally, and I know people will differ, I prefer this location than the Parc 55 and Hilton San Francisco Union Square (we also stayed at the Hilton SFO once too but had a dreadful time as cigarette smoke kept coming into our room through a vent, all night - even after calling several times to see if we could deal with the issue).

All-in-all, huge fan.
I like the SF FD as well. It is a nice hotel and a few years ago we were treated very well as lowly Golds.

I agree that I like the lounge is open 24 hours a day. Sometimes if you and your traveling companion have different sleep schedules you forget how nice it is to have a separate area to read/work/etc.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
The airport properties of OAK and SFO come to mind, as does the Hilton in Concord.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.