Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Francisco, California {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Francisco, California {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm looking at a 5-night stay in San Francisco in April. I'll primarily be doing things near Fisherman's Wharf (I won free entry for Alcatraz and Golden Gate swims). Ideally I'd like to have a room with a fridge and microwave.

The closest property is the Hilton Financial District. I've stayed there a few times, but it doesn't appear that any of their rooms have refrigerators...is that correct? Yea I know it is an old/tired property, I first stayed there in 1989 when it was a Holiday Inn, and it seemed old back then.

It appears that the Hampton Inn has some rooms that have a fridge... Are the rooms there as tiny as they look in the pictures? Of the 4, that location is the furthest from where I'll want to be.

I have stayed at the Hilton SF a few times too, but I don't remember any rooms having a fridge.

Have never stayed at the Park 55. Anyone know if rooms there have a fridge/microwave?
Old Jul 5, 2023, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
We are stopping in San Francisco for one night as part of a PDX - SAN road trip. We need to park a car and have a hold on a booking at Parc 55, but just noticed the crazy parking charged and also lots of Trip Advisor reports of break ins.

Any suggestions for 1 one night stay. We just intend to ride the cable car and have a nice dinner during our short stay.

Last edited by kingcole974; Jul 5, 2023 at 8:38 am
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:18 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by kingcole974
We are stopping in San Francisco for one night as part of a PDX - SEA road trip. We need to park a car and have a hold on a booking at Parc 55, but just noticed the crazy parking charged and also lots of Trip Advisor reports of break ins.

Any suggestions for 1 one night stay. We just intend to ride the cable car and have a nice dinner during our short stay.
Um, SF is not exactly on the route between PDX-SEA . I guess you're making a big loop?

One time we parked at the garage directly across O'farrell St. from the SF Hilton, much cheaper than the hotel parking (at the time, this was pre-covid).

I've stayed at both the Parc 55 and the Hilton, and actually preferred the Hilton even though it was bigger and more convention-y.

SF is even more grottier in that area than it was before.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Um, SF is not exactly on the route between PDX-SEA . I guess you're making a big loop?

One time we parked at the garage directly across O'farrell St. from the SF Hilton, much cheaper than the hotel parking (at the time, this was pre-covid).

I've stayed at both the Parc 55 and the Hilton, and actually preferred the Hilton even though it was bigger and more convention-y.

SF is even more grottier in that area than it was before.
Ha. Corrected to San Diego!
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:13 am

Oh good, that would have been quite a detour!

I read on here recently that both Hiltons were being sold, so not sure if they will still be Hiltons when you come?

If you just want to ride the Cable Car and have dinner, you could even stay at a hotel on the other end (near Fisherman's Wharf). Not sure if it's "safer" up there but certainly busier with tourists and families. In any event I'd spring for valet parking at whatever hotel I chose, for one night the extra cost might be worth the extra peace of mind (and you hopefully have some recourse if something happens). Make sure you have max insurance on your rental car.

Have you been to San Francisco before that you're only spending one night there?
Old Jul 5, 2023, 10:08 am

Oh good, that would have been quite a detour!

I read on here recently that both Hiltons were being sold, so not sure if they will still be Hiltons when you come?

If you just want to ride the Cable Car and have dinner, you could even stay at a hotel on the other end (near Fisherman's Wharf). Not sure if it's "safer" up there but certainly busier with tourists and families. In any event I'd spring for valet parking at whatever hotel I chose, for one night the extra cost might be worth the extra peace of mind (and you hopefully have some recourse if something happens). Make sure you have max insurance on your rental car.

Have you been to San Francisco before that you're only spending one night there?
Yes, been a few times. Before we’ve stayed for longer at Fisherman’s Wharf and done the touristy stuff and Alcatraz.

We are travelling in 4 weeks so I’m guessing they will still be Hilton’s then?

Our previous stop is Eureka and the next will be Monterey. One of our group hasn’t been hence they would like to see the trams.

of there was an argument that could be made for skipping San Fran with a suggestion of somewhere else nearby, I’d be open to it.

We must drive over the Golden Gate though!
Old Jul 5, 2023, 11:01 am

Why Eureka?

There is always the Sonoma Wine country, Santa Rosa, many places north of the City.

Then you could drive over the bridge into the city, ride the cable cars (don't call them trams because there are also trams, and they are not the same) then maybe head south and spend the night somewhere there. There's a nice but ordinary Hampton Inn in Daly City which is very safe and a great place with a car.

If you're stopping in Eureka for the Victorian architecture we took a wonderful walking tour in SF of several of the Victorian areas. If you're interested I'll see if I can dig up the old information - again, this was pre covid.

And when you're in Monterey I think Carmel is cuter. But we also liked driving up to Pacific Grove, we stopped and just watched the beautiful ocean from there, right in front of the Green Gables Inn.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 1:06 pm

Why Eureka?

There is always the Sonoma Wine country, Santa Rosa, many places north of the City.

Then you could drive over the bridge into the city, ride the cable cars (don't call them trams because there are also trams, and they are not the same) then maybe head south and spend the night somewhere there. There's a nice but ordinary Hampton Inn in Daly City which is very safe and a great place with a car.

If you're stopping in Eureka for the Victorian architecture we took a wonderful walking tour in SF of several of the Victorian areas. If you're interested I'll see if I can dig up the old information - again, this was pre covid.

And when you're in Monterey I think Carmel is cuter. But we also liked driving up to Pacific Grove, we stopped and just watched the beautiful ocean from there, right in front of the Green Gables Inn.
Thanks for the tips. Wine stuff will be another trip without the kids.

Some great tips there including Carmel, which we will be doing.

As mentioned. It’s only one night in San Francisco, so it’s not too painful to use the hotel valet.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by kingcole974
Thanks for the tips. Wine stuff will be another trip without the kids.

Some great tips there including Carmel, which we will be doing.

As mentioned. It’s only one night in San Francisco, so it’s not too painful to use the hotel valet.
Kids should like Monterey better, the aquarium is cool, I could watch the jellyfish all day. Carmel is cutesy shops and restaurants, I guess it depends on how old your kids are.

Sounds like a fun trip.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kingcole974 (Post # 201)
Yes, been a few times. Before we’ve stayed for longer at Fisherman’s Wharf and done the touristy stuff and Alcatraz.

We are travelling in 4 weeks so I’m guessing they will still be Hilton’s then?

Our previous stop is Eureka and the next will be Monterey. One of our group hasn’t been hence they would like to see the trams.

of there was an argument that could be made for skipping San Fran with a suggestion of somewhere else nearby, I’d be open to it.

We must drive over the Golden Gate though!
Yes, they will still be Hiltons.

If you want to avoid the traffic and parking issues in Union Square, and if a cable car ride is not on your companion's "must do" agenda, you might consider the Embassy Suites in San Rafael, CA, about 20 miles north of the City. It is close to the famed Marin County Civic Center (go inside!) designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, which has a lagoon next door with walking path around it.

When you get to the Golden Gate Bridge, take the last southbound exit, right before the bridge, for some beautiful views atop Marin Headlands, admiring the Bridge above from the west. If you had more time, beforehand you could either visit Muir Woods or drive up to the top of Mt. Tamalpais -- highly recommended if the skies are clear. I grew up in San Rafael.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jul 7, 2023 at 10:46 pm
Old Sep 13, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Anyone with experience at The Barnes Tapestry near Union Square? Years ago, it was Villa Florence, an affordable boutique hotel with a great restaurant downstairs. I noticed it just now as a new Hilton property -- and they don't seem to charge the dumb destination fee.
Hippo72 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.