Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Francisco, California {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Francisco, California {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2021, 3:35 pm

I stay at both fairly frequently...for a week I'd rather be at the Hilton, which IME treats Diamonds well. Hampton service is fine, but there just really isn't anything much they can do to recognize Diamonds. Both are in very urban areas...pros/cons to both.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In normal times, Hilton Union Square is a full service property but more importantly it's a huge convention hotel. The property is an aging nondescript modern building that's *not* located on Union Square but rather a couple blocks toward the theater district. Union Square once was nice (with some upscale shopping areas such as Maiden Lane), but now you unfortunately see a lot of homeless people and broken sidewalks.

I've never stayed in the Hampton Inn and can't picture it or its location.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I've stayed at the Hampton, and am headed there again on Thursday.

Advantage of the Hampton is just convenience. It's so close to the Muni/Bart entrances, and across the street from the foot court at the Westfield Center. Being a smaller hotel, it's faster to get in and out of as well. But you do have to step over the homeless people on your way in. Rooms are very small, but have fridges.

I haven't stayed at the Hilton, but it seems to be a typical convention hotel. So room is probably nicer, but with continued limited service, elite breakfast benefit may not be any better than the Hampton. I really like the Parc 55, but it was too expensive for my dates.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Financial District sometimes has good rates, before Covid they had an ok lounge, breakfast downstairs was very nice. BART is a hassle but if you Uber or cab it from SFO - nice location - half way between Union Square and Fisherman’s Wharf
Ask about a Coit Tower view room
Old Jul 12, 2021, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Absolutely no for Hampton inn Downtown in San Francisco. SOMA can be trouble. And I am the local.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I am a long time local and I disagree.

Originally Posted by garykung
Absolutely no for Hampton inn Downtown in San Francisco. SOMA can be trouble. And I am the local.
I don’t like the location — the Hilton is very close if not in the tenderloin which to me is the worst neighborhood in San Francisco. The Hampton Inn is marginally better but just marginally. Honestly I would never stay downtown especially right now with a lot of undesirables hanging around with a lot of other things closed.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 7:49 am

Any recommendation for best choice for a one-night stay for an event at the Chase Center?

How is the area near the Union Square hotel these days? That used to be my location of choice but I have not been there for a few years.

Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2021, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
We were at Union Square 3 nights last weekend, just missed the Friday looting by 15 minutes, by Saturday on there were so many police around I felt I was at Ft Knox, cable cars have a very short wait. We were able to eat in North Beach with no wait - never once bothered on the street. We put our ID’s and vaccination card on our phone and never had a problem.
Hilton gave us $30 per day which was enough to buy a decent breakfast twice, third time we had a beer/wine on 46 came to $30.
Mason Cafe half a block away has a good breakfast, wait line on the weekend but Monday morning was fine.
Tried Uber to get to SFO no go 2 hour wait, Hilton guy out front had a car waiting $50 - old Crown Vic, nice ride.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: Hilton Gold member/Delta Skymiles
Hilton Homewood suites vs Doubletree

I'm trying to figure out the benefit of using the Double Tree brand over Homewood suites. My wife and I like a separate bedroom option. For example in San Francisco Homewood offers this for @ $160/night. This include parking and breakfast(poor quality recently). Double Tree for the same it is $204/night you pay additional for parking and as a Gold member I do get a stipend towards breakfast. Hotels are within 2-3 miles of each other. Only thing I can think of is with Double Tree there is a bar in house so you can have a drink without having to drive, but other than that I can't think of a reason to pay $45 + parking more per night? For this I would stay at Homewood and just pay for my own breakfast.

Am I missing something?
Thanks.
Brian
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I guess if you don't like the free Homewood breakfast you can pay for breakfast elsewhere but I have always been able to more than make do
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Homewood Suites is a no brainer in this instance.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Miesque
I guess if you don't like the free Homewood breakfast you can pay for breakfast elsewhere but I have always been able to more than make do
Miesque: I did say that in my post as an option for me due to the cost and I am sure it will vary by location. brian
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by MChang1
Miesque: I did say that in my post as an option for me due to the cost and I am sure it will vary by location. brian
I think we're just curious why you mention cost associated with the Homewood breakfast, since Homewood always provides free breakfast.
Miesque likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I think we're just curious why you mention cost associated with the Homewood breakfast, since Homewood always provides free breakfast.
I don't mention cost of breakfast at homewood, other than if I chose not to eat their free breakfast and pay for my own.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MChang1
I'm trying to figure out the benefit of using the Double Tree brand over Homewood suites. My wife and I like a separate bedroom option. For example in San Francisco Homewood offers this for @ $160/night. This include parking and breakfast(poor quality recently). Double Tree for the same it is $204/night you pay additional for parking and as a Gold member I do get a stipend towards breakfast. Hotels are within 2-3 miles of each other. Only thing I can think of is with Double Tree there is a bar in house so you can have a drink without having to drive, but other than that I can't think of a reason to pay $45 + parking more per night? For this I would stay at Homewood and just pay for my own breakfast.

Am I missing something?
Thanks.
Brian
Welcome to FlyerTalk, MChang1 !

Per se, no, you're not missing anything from a cost perspective.

You haven't said what your status is with Hilton Honors. If you're looking to accrue points as part of your elite status, any incidental and food/bevarage/etc. purchases on your room folio at DoubleTree will earn points on top of your room rate base points. For Homewood, all one earns is the base points associated with the room rate.

Also, if you have elite status, a DoubleTree may be willing to offer you upgrades, etc. that don't factor into the room cost/breakfast benefit/parking cost discussion.

David

edit - now I see that you've updated your profile to show Hilton Honors Gold. So, some additional benefits at DoubleTree accrue vs. a stay at a Homewood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.