Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Francisco, California {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Francisco, California {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by catalana
I'll check out other parking options downtown and weigh them. And yes, I agree, I would rather pay the parking fees than lost time on public transit, especially considering the rest of the trip is pretty much on points/miles. I suspect we'll want to have one car the whole trip for convenience and spontaneity sake. If there's a great recommendation of a hotel though with low parking cost and easy access to/from the city and the other places we want to visit, I'm all ears. Maybe we'll stay outside the city for a couple of nights and then come back to the Chinatown Hilton for one night, just for that killer top floor bay view.
How sure are you of getting that top floor? I've never gotten it, in over a dozen stays as Diamond.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And yes, I agree, I would rather pay the parking fees than lost time on public transit, especially considering the rest of the trip is pretty much on points/miles.
As opposed to time lost sitting in traffic or circling looking for parking? There's a reason SF is behind only NYC among US cities in use of public transit. In many neighborhoods there is literally no parking.

I absolutely detest driving in the city and I lived there for twelve years.

If there's a great recommendation of a hotel though with low parking cost and easy access to/from the city and the other places we want to visit, I'm all ears.
That's pretty funny.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Kacee
As opposed to time lost sitting in traffic or circling looking for parking? There's a reason SF is behind only NYC among US cities in use of public transit. In many neighborhoods there is literally no parking.

I absolutely detest driving in the city and I lived there for twelve years.

That's pretty funny.
Maybe I just had a beyond amazing experience driving around SF on weekdays in March two years ago? The only place I parked in the city was under the golden gate park museums and I got there when they opened without any trouble. I walked to the embarcadero from the Chinatown Hilton.

My job also put me up at the ES in San Rafael and I thought that was convenient to Muir Woods and headlands hiking. My point is if there are other good options to consider, like the ES with free parking, where we can come into the city (even if it takes 20-30 mins) and plop our car down in the morning in a $25 Parking Panda lot by the piers, versus spending $120 on just hotel parking, then I would prefer that.

Edit: It turns out you can park at the Chinatown Hilton for $25 a day on Park Whiz if you pre-pay with no in-out privileges. A bit more intriguing now.

Last edited by catalana; Jan 26, 2016 at 6:55 am Reason: new note
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sethb
How sure are you of getting that top floor? I've never gotten it, in over a dozen stays as Diamond.
I was shocked when the front desk staff member verbally acknowledged my request for the top floor with balcony upgrade as a Diamond. He said, "I see you want the best view in the house, let's make it happen." I think I had even reserved the lowest tier room.

In this case, traveling with my wife, I think I would just pay the $220 - that seems like a steal considering the view.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:47 pm

Nicest Hilton Property in Northern California?

Hi everyone,

I have around 100k Hilton points to burn, and I was hoping to have a nice stay for a night somewhere in Northern California with my partner. Are any of the Hilton properties in San Francisco any very nice? How about any in Napa or Sonoma (or even Santa Cruz/south of Santa Cruz)? Just doesn't seem like there are any "luxury" Hiltons in Northern California, which is a bit disappointing :/
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this can be answered much more fully in the dedicated Hilton forum, so I will send it there.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
The Hilton up on a hill in Santa Rosa is very nice, though not luxury. I've always gotten a large room with a peaked ceiling that looks out over the valley from a not very high height. Just over the trees.

Anyway, what it has going for it is it's right in the middle of the Sonoma wine country -- Sonoma Valley, Healdsburg, Dry Creek Road, Alexander Valley. Also a few minutes from the redwood forest. A little further, it's a pleasant drive over to Calistoga, St. Helena and Napa.

You probably know that summer days can be 30 (dry) degrees warmer in the wine country than in San Francisco, but it cools off at night.

And you can fly into Sonoma County Airport instead of SFO or OAK.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The two Hiltons in downtown SF are OK. There is absolutely nothing special about them. Think business hotel. There's the Parc 55 which has gotten not so great reviews on FT (I think). I'm not aware of any really nice Hilton family in the area. (I'm thinking something in the range of an Asian Conrad as really nice.)
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:04 pm

I'm actually from Marin, but now live in France, which is why I'm not really familiar with hotels in the area as I never had a need for one. Now, going back with my partner, I wanted to do something special and figured may as well use my points to do. I saw the Santa Rosa property - it did look nice, although being right off of 101 leaves something to be desired. The properties in SF look uninspiring too, unfortunately - I wish they had a Waldorf or Conrad somewhere in the area!

Thanks for your input everyone.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Slight OT but surely SF must be a prime candidate for a Conrad? Seems like a good fit to me, no?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by kthpence
I have around 100k Hilton points to burn, and I was hoping to have a nice stay for a night somewhere in Northern California with my partner. Are any of the Hilton properties in San Francisco any very nice? How about any in Napa or Sonoma (or even Santa Cruz/south of Santa Cruz)? Just doesn't seem like there are any "luxury" Hiltons in Northern California, which is a bit disappointing :/
The Hilton Scotts Valley in Santa Cruz is pretty nice. A bit up in the hills away from the beach hustle and bustle and not even a parking charge. ^

David
Old Jun 11, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There's always the DT Modesto!

But seriously, I don't think there's anything in Northern California truly upscale.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Slight OT but surely SF must be a prime candidate for a Conrad? Seems like a good fit to me, no?
A golden opportunity was missed when Mandarin Oriental decided to leave the market; instead of Conrad, Loews swooped in and took it over.

The two full service properties are old. Oldest part of SF Hilton is nearing 60 years old, while Financial District Hilton is a converted Holiday Inn.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
A golden opportunity was missed when Mandarin Oriental decided to leave the market; instead of Conrad, Loews swooped in and took it over.
That would have been perfect for a Conrad.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I was at Scotts Valley last month. Nice and recently refurbished. Used points for 5 nights at Doubletree Rhonert Park, 8 miles from Santa Rosa. It is next to a golf course, 1 mile from 101 and I thought convenient for both Sonoma and Napa vineyard touring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.