Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Glasgow {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 2:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
https://news.stv.tv/west-central/mor...w-hilton-hotel

More than 100 jobs under threat at Glasgow Hilton hotel

The multinational hotel chain said the proposed cuts are in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by adobbing
Single Scots mum slams hotel after stay leaves kids covered in bedbug bites as 'dozens' of insects spotted in sheets

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...after-21888848

Sounds like Room 614 might be one to avoid!

Just reading that article again;

“Later, we were sitting in bed watching a film when I felt something crawl across my face.“It felt like a tiny beetle. I jumped up, turned on the light and could see dozens of little black beetles crawling on the bed. I woke my daughter up and where she had been tossing and turning she had squashed a few, so there were blood stains on the white sheets.

“I started shaking my clothes off and my son was picking them off my back.”

A proper horror story, speaks volumes about about how this property has let go....
Old Aug 30, 2020, 4:14 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Hi all,

Staying here at the moment, my first stay at a hotel since February!

Digital checkin with the digital key, so zero touch checkin. They have hand sanitiser dotted around the hotel in all high touch points along with wipes. The room had the Hilton Cleanstay sticker/seal on the door along with on the TV remote and various other things.

The Executive Lounge is closed. In place of that you're given a voucher which gives 1 drink per day per guest from the bar and a platter. The drink is for a small glass of house wine, bottled beer or house spirits. Unsure what exactly the platter entails as the kitchen was closed by the time we got back. We ordered 2 gin and tonic's at the bar which took 30 minutes (!) and a chase to arrive. Given this is in place of the lounge it feels exceptionally stingy. Note they are still charging a premium to stay in the exec rooms...

I had to go and collect the vouchers from reception instead of it being left in the room which seems to detract from the digital checkin concept.

Breakfast was cooked to order for the hot stuff, and pre packaged portions for the continental stuff from a buffet.

Overall ok, will post back with some photos!
Old Aug 30, 2020, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do post pics.

I feel like H Glasgow might be the first to drop... those rooms are so legacy... and bathrooms! Unchanged since 1990!
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
Do post pics.

I feel like H Glasgow might be the first to drop... those rooms are so legacy... and bathrooms! Unchanged since 1990!
Agreed, the Doubletree is the superior in town, especially for Diamonds
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Agreed, the Doubletree is the superior in town, especially for Diamonds
Although I read elsewhere that their treatment of diamond’s at the Doubletree has been scaled right back. Apparently the parking which was comped, no longer is and the manager claims it never should’ve been!

All that has done for me is added another £8 to the room rate, which now makes it less compelling.

HGI may be the way to go once my company allows me to travel again.
pazza2000 and wizla like this.

Last edited by adobbing; Aug 31, 2020 at 11:46 am
Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:55 pm

Although I read elsewhere that their treatment of diamond’s at the Doubletree has been scaled right back. Apparently the parking which was comped, no longer is and the manager claims it never should’ve been!

All that has done for me is added another £8 to the room rate, which now makes it less compelling.

HGI may be the way to go once my company allows me to travel again.
Oh really? That was one of the favourite benefits and it’s been the case for years so they’re has obviously been a change in policy there
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Oh really? That was one of the favourite benefits and it’s been the case for years so they’re has obviously been a change in policy there
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs..._Scotland.html

Complimentary parking is not a benefit of Diamond status within Hilton as a group, but I appreciate this may have been given as an enhanced benefit previously.”

It became apparent during 'lock-down' that our Diamond guests were being offered complimentary car parking, which whilst given by the front desk team prior to this as a good will gesture, this process was never agreed and therefore has now been stopped. This benefit is not something that is a standard for Hilton throughout the world for Diamond status.”
hugolover likes this.

Last edited by adobbing; Aug 31, 2020 at 1:17 pm
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Complimentary parking is not a benefit of Diamond status within Hilton as a group, but I appreciate this may have been given as an enhanced benefit previously.”

It became apparent during 'lock-down' that our Diamond guests were being offered complimentary car parking, which whilst given by the front desk team prior to this as a good will gesture, this process was never agreed and therefore has now been stopped. This benefit is not something that is a standard for Hilton throughout the world for Diamond status.”
Booo! Bad hotel!

David
hugolover likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
And not a moment too soon judging by this thread https://www.hotelowner.co.uk/25961-h...refurbishment/
Old Oct 22, 2020, 4:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sigma421
And not a moment too soon judging by this thread https://www.hotelowner.co.uk/25961-h...refurbishment/
Text to save people needing to register to view;

Hilton Glasgow hotel to undergo refurbishment

Senior manager for project management at the Hilton said ‘this will be the largest renovation the hotel has undergone since its opening in 1992.’

Laura McGuire

The Hilton Glasgow hotel in Scotland is set to undergo a “large-scale” refurbishment.

The hotel refurb is set to include all 319 existing guestrooms, and an additional three guestrooms created from a redundant executive lounge on the 18th floor.

The project will also include a full refurbishment and extension to the executive lounge and enhancements to restrooms across the hotel, the leisure club will also be updated to match the wider design.

Function and pre-function areas are due for completion in December 2020 with the rest of the project to be rolled out in 2021, the transformation of the William Street hotel is being headed up by Dawn Campbell and Craig McKie owners of interior design company Bell and Swift.

The duo have previously worked with the Hilton team on a number of projects throughout their career including projects for its “Doubletree” and “Hampton by” brands, for their latest Hilton project the design concept is centred around Glasgow heritage, taking inspiration from the “Glasgow Style” made famous by designer and architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

Luke Townsend, senior manager for project management at Hilton Glasgow, said: “This will be the largest renovation the hotel has undergone since its opening in 1992. Our vision for the project is to enhance our offering with a modern take on elegance and luxury, restoring the hotel to its position as market lead and premier function destination in Glasgow.

“We’re delighted to be working with Bell and Swift on the renovation, their local knowledge combined with their experience of large-scale hotel refurbishment projects have made them the perfect partner for this project.“
Old Nov 8, 2020, 5:57 am

Looks like Hilton Glasgow have decided to suspend operations again, presumably following the English lockdown.
Maybe they are taking this opportunity to let the builders take over the whole place for the refurb instead of working around guests which I suppose could speed things up. I was staying there a few weeks ago on the 18th floor, the noise was fairly horrendous from elsewhere on the floor from building work. Front desk said at that time the whole middle section of the hotel was closed for the refurb.

I have a booking there in a couple of weeks, not heard anything from them as yet. I wonder if they will just cancel or move me to one of the other Glasgow Hiltons.

"It is with a heavy heart that we have to say “see you later” once again.
The ongoing impact of COVID 19 has led us to take the difficult decision to temporarily suspend operations on Sunday 8th November until 18th January 2021.
While our doors are closed for a while we look forward to the day that Glasgow and Hilton Glasgow jump back to life, and to better times with you all in 2021.
We wish all of our guests, team members, business partners and friends good health and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!"
wizla and ENTP like this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
Looks like Hilton Glasgow have decided to suspend operations again, presumably following the English lockdown.
Maybe they are taking this opportunity to let the builders take over the whole place for the refurb instead of working around guests which I suppose could speed things up. I was staying there a few weeks ago on the 18th floor, the noise was fairly horrendous from elsewhere on the floor from building work. Front desk said at that time the whole middle section of the hotel was closed for the refurb.

I have a booking there in a couple of weeks, not heard anything from them as yet. I wonder if they will just cancel or move me to one of the other Glasgow Hiltons.

"It is with a heavy heart that we have to say “see you later” once again.
The ongoing impact of COVID 19 has led us to take the difficult decision to temporarily suspend operations on Sunday 8th November until 18th January 2021.
While our doors are closed for a while we look forward to the day that Glasgow and Hilton Glasgow jump back to life, and to better times with you all in 2021.
We wish all of our guests, team members, business partners and friends good health and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!"
Hopefully they will take that time to refurbish! HGI or Doubletree instead?
Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:39 am

Hopefully they will take that time to refurbish! HGI or Doubletree instead?
They have cancelled and emailed today. Rather bizarrely they are only offering the Grosvenor or Raddison?!
  • "We can arrange to cancel your reservation and move to another suitable date
  • Alternative accommodation at the Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor in the west end
  • Alternative accommodation at the Radisson Blu hotel in the city centre"
Old Nov 11, 2020, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's probably in the lease that Hilton need to hand back the hotel in the same condition they received it. Therefore, after a refurb there is always a chance it is de-flagged. I heard the rent is just too high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.