Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Glasgow {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:23 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Originally Posted by hugolover
There's money to pay for a bizarre sign? That's one of the oddest things I've seen in a long time. Why would you write that?

Those plates are not a platter. It's an aberration on its definition. Chicken croquettes are not a platter . I guess before it was a sort of platter. What the DT does is a platter.

I heard many times the decision is "The GM"... "The GM"..."Our GM". That's the management 'team'. It's Calum Ross.

Btw, I heard the shop is closing, or closed?
It didn't look all that open when I was there, but not sure if it's permanently closing.
I look forward to the "Old Shop" sign appearing in the coming months
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Awesome picture. Sad sign.

David
It looks like a slightly dodgy Photoshop attempt, but promise it isn't!
Old Jan 4, 2023, 9:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Awesome picture. Sad sign.

David
To me, that says temporary.
For the effort of adding the word “Old” they could have removed or covered up the whole sign.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they move it back in there.
Assume the “new” executive lounge could easily be repurposed into something else….
Old Jan 22, 2023, 7:50 am

Back here again last night for a quick 1 nighter. Upgraded from standard king to an exec king on the 18th floor.

There is a "Gift shop open" sign light up on reception, so assume it's still open.

Lounge the same setup as last time. One of the "platters" consisted of 2 (small) onion bhaji with a tiny salad. It was quite a sad sight.
Service as chaotic. All of the staff (circa 4/5) miraculously vanished in the last 15/20 minutes before the bar closed at 7pm, meaning none of the drink stations had been topped up. Lots of displeased people roaming around with empty glasses in search of staff for a top up - most gave up.
We managed to get someone to order, but our drinks never appeared.

Witnessed a man having a lengthy chat with one of the receptionists this morning presumably discussing what he didn't like about his stay. Bill/folio in hand. He wasn't happy about the pool charges, or indeed the fact they've done practically nothing to said pool to justify the charges, so no surprises there!
hugolover, wizla and MP001 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 8:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
Back here again last night for a quick 1 nighter. Upgraded from standard king to an exec king on the 18th floor.

There is a "Gift shop open" sign light up on reception, so assume it's still open.

Lounge the same setup as last time. One of the "platters" consisted of 2 (small) onion bhaji with a tiny salad. It was quite a sad sight.
Service as chaotic. All of the staff (circa 4/5) miraculously vanished in the last 15/20 minutes before the bar closed at 7pm, meaning none of the drink stations had been topped up. Lots of displeased people roaming around with empty glasses in search of staff for a top up - most gave up.
We managed to get someone to order, but our drinks never appeared.

Witnessed a man having a lengthy chat with one of the receptionists this morning presumably discussing what he didn't like about his stay. Bill/folio in hand. He wasn't happy about the pool charges, or indeed the fact they've done practically nothing to said pool to justify the charges, so no surprises there!
how to spend a fortune on a refurb, then undo all the good work, by hacking off the customers you’re hoping will pay for it!
hugolover, :D!, wizla and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 7:51 am

Programs: AY+, HH Gold
Checked out today. I'd rate it 6.5/10.

The refurb is really nice on the surface, the rooms look nice, but the furnishings won't last unless Hilton now refurb rooms every 5 years (Oh a pig is airborne out my window...!). Especially the chaise longue, once coffee and dare I say red wine, suitcases take their toll. I noticed the bathrooms doors are original, just painted black, the robe hook was falling out. It's a very Hilton refurbishment. Just think, the original bathrooms were like 30 years old? It opened in 1991(?) and I first stayed in 2002 and I remember the same showers and sinks from then until the most recent one. The a/c made a terrible racket like when a Jet engine ingests a bird. I changed rooms on Sat night, and the next room was fine.
I just checked out after a 3 night stay. Got upgraded to Executive King, my first executive level upgrade (I'm new to HH), which was nice.

I had not been here before the refurb, but can agree well on the quality of the refurbished rooms. The bathroom door already had some paint chipped off (one large piece on the hallway floor when I got back after housekeeping had been in). You can see the white paint underneath the latest coat, and I suspect the door will look much worse in a year.

The door to the shower cubicle didn't close properly, but left about 2cm gap so water came out when taking a shower.

Otherwise I liked the design of the room and it was one of the rare occasions when I've been in a hotel with good design for where to do makeup and hair. The lighting for the mirrors in the hallway was excellent for this and there was a plug by the big mirror making curling hair easy. This is probably irrelevant to many, but it made me and my friend happy when we got ready for an evening out.

I'll be happy to come back next time in town!
Old May 13, 2023, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

Here now after arriving from stockholm.
got upgraded to a King executive room on 19th floor.

Room is very nice

Pool can be booked 7 days in advance apparently but not sure how you would do this prior to arrival

Will report on breakfast tomorrow

Regards

Tbs

Hi

A good night's sleep.
Bathroom is well lit and designed if a but on the small side.
drawer storage space is a bit limited. Pull out drawer under the tv has a chiller unit which had the 2 bottles of water on arrival
Nespesso machine provided.
Breakfast is £22PP if paying. There is a self service pancake machine also

as a diamond after giving my room number i was sat in the executive lounge ( most food is in the breakfast room) but you got filter press coffee and nuts crisps and tunnock tea cakes as well as coke , diet coke
a few add on options ie eggs benedict, avocado on toast (£5) And smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for £7
Lounge is very nice
No issues booking a pool slot for 11am and asked and got a 1pm late check out with no issue

Gift shop is open
regards

tbs
MP001 and Freetotravel like this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; May 14, 2023 at 2:46 am
Old Jul 15, 2023, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spirits in the lounge now capped at 2 per person during the evening service.
Winniesbestfriend likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
How will they enforce this?
hugolover likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not self-service for spirits. Only beer and wine is (if they keep the stock). As its a 25ml measure, that's 50ml per pax.
Winniesbestfriend likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 1:08 pm
cjd

Not surprised after we recently witnessed a large group of guests in the lounge celebrating a 30th birthday.on a Saturday evening. Seven couples continually asking for treble rums, whiskeys vodkas and gins. Eventually after they got louder and louder, the hotel manager came in and asked them to leave as they would be getting no more drinks. It was pleasantly quiet for the last half hour. Suspect they got their moneys worth for paying the Executive room rates.

Last edited by cjd; Jul 18, 2023 at 2:22 am
Old Jul 18, 2023, 4:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cjd
Not surprised after we recently witnessed a large group of guests in the lounge celebrating a 30th birthday.on a Saturday evening. Seven couples continually asking for treble rums, whiskeys vodkas and gins. Eventually after they got louder and louder, the hotel manager came in and asked them to leave as they would be getting no more drinks. It was pleasantly quiet for the last half hour. Suspect they got their moneys worth for paying the Executive room rates.
I remember similar when the lounge was upstairs on one of the upper floors.

I guess that at the weekend the hotel isn’t occupied by people on business and they probably offer lounge access to any guests willing to pay the “special offer” price for access.

Back then, it was like a zoo with a hen party camped out in there preloading for the night ahead.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 12:07 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; UA/*A
Originally Posted by cjd
That’s exactly the problem in multiple UK properties with lounges. There was a similar discussion a while back on the Canary Wharf thread. “It’s free so we might as well guzzle down as much as we can to get our money’s worth”. I’m curious about what’s happening with the lounge in LGW for the same reason - that was the worst place I ever went to witness this sort of behavior, and not only once.

I think a 2 drinks cutoff is a good thing. Nothing to stop the host offering regulars or those staying longer an extra drink but it should stop this kind of thing. And a number of ELs don’t have spirits at all.

I have booked a stay quite soon to check out this property - it’s been quite interesting reading recent posts.
adobbing, lamphs and wizla like this.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know when the lounge happy hour currently is scheduled? Just trying to work out logistics between arriving at the airport, checking in and heading out for a working dinner.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond KLM Gold
Stayed there last week for the Celtic game. Have stayed many times but thanks to the early start of 5 was able to have food and drink. There was a choice of either a meat or veggie option plus dessert. The veggie option was very tasty. The drinks were beer plus wine and prosecco and some spirits, Closed 7. Had left long time before then

Breakfast was good especially porridge and whisky which I recommend.

Staff excellent.

Hotel was full
Freetotravel and andimilk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.