Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Glasgow {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2001, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Arrow Hilton Glasgow {GBR}

Hi all! Before my question, I just want to say what a great job everyone does on this board- it helped tons when deciding on a hotel to stay in London.

Now I pose the same question for Glasgow, Scotland. I searched the board and found no previous mentions of any Glasgow stays. I know it's not a popular place but I'm going there for a conference so I'm kinda stuck

What is the condition of the Hilton Glasgows as ex-Stakis properties? Are there rooms I ought to specially request (such as at London's Hilton Hyde Park)? Does the fact that the Hilton HHonors center is in the same city mean that I'll get fantastic upgrades as a Gold?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old Apr 2, 2001, 6:21 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
The Hilton Glasgow has always been a Hilton property. It is in a strage location - on the very edge of the City Centre and adjacent to the main Edinburgh - Glasgow Motorway (Frreway). It is surrounded by office buildings and there is no where to go to eat locally. A 5 minute taxi journey will take you to Glasows many great restaurants and bars.

Internally the hotel is very nice and a number of the rooms have recently been renovated. I stayed there a few weeks ago and my Gold VIP card got me an upgrade to the Club floor. No other special amenities though.

The Hilton Grosvenor is an ex-Stakis property. I've never stayed there so I cannot comment
Old Apr 8, 2001, 7:05 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I stay frequently at the Hilton Strathclyde (Hamilton) which is on the Eastern outskirts of Glasgow. I'm very happy with this property, and as a Gold usually get upgraded to an Executive room or a suite.
The hotel is a little out on its own, on the edge of a dual carriageway road, and needs a car or taxi to get anywhere. The rooms are relatively new and in good condition. There is a helath club attached to the hotel which has many public members and can get very busy.
If you stay here, make sure that you eat at Guidis - an Italian Restaurant within 10 mins by Taxi, in Coatbridge - some of the best Italian food in Glasgow !!

John P.
Old Apr 11, 2001, 11:36 am

Re: Hilton Glasgow. Stayed there on numerous occasions, most recently two weeks ago. I look forward to stays here..somehow I feel very rested after a stay. There is a high chance of an upgrade staying here. They have a seperate small desk for gold and diamond members but it isn't always manned. Even so normal check in is extremely courteous and efficient. I have always handed my gold card to the receptionist and said I have a reservation and have always been upgraded without question until my last stay. There was no upgrade offered and I had to ask. I was told that all of the executive floors were occupied...even though it was a weekend night. I was offered use of the lounge and continental breakfast though. A porter told me that there was a grand ball on that evening for Hilton Execs and they were all in the exec rooms. The exec lounge is small but nice with proper tables to sit at and eat. They serve a delicious afternoon tea up there and generally have more food available that I've seen at London hiltons. Even when I book two rooms the people staying in the other room are ugraded also. Room service food can be poor, however they often call after your meal to ask how it was. Points seem to post quickly. I agree that the view although high leaves a lot to be desired. You can walk into Glasgow city centre from the hotel in around 15 minutes but taxi costs
are ok...around £5.00. Never stayed in the other two hotels.
Old Mar 11, 2002, 10:14 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Glasgow Hilton

I've got a three night award stay scheduled next month at THE Hilton Glasgow. I've stayed in Glasgow many times, but never at the Hilton. Any comments on the hotel from anyone?

Larry

edited for clarity

[This message has been edited by Larrude (edited 03-11-2002).]
Old Mar 11, 2002, 11:25 am

There are 3 or 4 Hiltons in Glasgow; I assume you mean THE Hilton Glasgow, the only 5* property Hilton has in Glasgow.
I've always been treated extremely well there as Diamond, even previously as Gold. Always been upgraded to exec floor, usually to an excellent room/ocassional suite. Exec lounge is OK, if a little small, but afternoon tea is pretty good if you're around. Breakfast/evening nibbles and drinks are average to good and staff tend to be very friendly (like most Glaswegians) and extremely helpful.
Rooms vary - some are very traditionally decorated, others are pretty contemporary, so you should ask at check-in if you have a preference. King rooms are the best IMHO as they mostly have a "bay" window which gives awesome views of Glasgow. Or you could ask for one of the four rooms that have a private terrace on each corner of the top floor...
Old Mar 11, 2002, 11:56 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Some additional comments:-

- Pretty easy access via M8 motoraway, jn 18
- Good facilities, including on-site hairdresser
- Views from higher Exec Rooms are excellent (20th floor) !
- Upgraded as Diamond to Exec Floor
- Room = "B" - good but not outstanding
- Free drinks in Exec Lounge until 7pm
- Staff are very friendly & accomodating

Old Mar 12, 2002, 11:24 am
Original Member

If you are diamond (and I guess gold), they have normally pre-printed your checkin info in the lounge so go straight there rather than checkin downstairs.

Good hotel in a reasonable location. 10min walk into the city. Mind you, the access from the motorway (heading west) can be a bit confusing. Often get good rates at the weekend.
Old Mar 24, 2002, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Just returned from a stay at the Glasgow Hilton yesterday.

At check in the check in agent wnt over to see the manager on duty to see if I could be upgraded (HHonors Gold). Unfortunately she said that it wasnot possible as the hotel was completly full fro that evening ( a couple of nights previously I checked the website to see if the price had fallen but it it said sold out. I was slightly dissapointed but I do understand that upgrades are subject to availability. The check in agent said that I could use the Executive lounge and I was given a confirmed non smoking room and a choice of low or high room. I chose High and was given the 14th floor facing west ( ie over the motorway and towards Glasgow University).
The roomwas good ( standard Hilton although I found that with only the main lights on the room was a littel dark and had to have the bed side lights on to read in bed.
The bathroom was fine with good water pressure in the shower and bath.
I went up to the Executive lounge on the 19th floor ( afternoon tea served between 14:00 & 17:00 Friday-Sunday I think with sandwiches cakes and scones and jam -very nice.
After returning from shopping I went back up to the lounge for evening drinks and nibbles ( 5-7 pm).A reasonable variety of nibbles and a good selection of free soft and alcoholic drinks were available althought the lounge got crowded as the Celtic-Ayr United football match was on.The staff in the lounge were very good with frequent runs to bring more chairs in .
I went down to Minskys deli for a buffet dinner (£21 although £15 for early bird ( 6-7pm Sun-Thurs) which was good with a good selection of main courses and deserts ( some of which were the same as the afternoon cakes served earlier in the lounge upstairs)
Raffles Bar is good with quick service ( I had a Pina Colada- very nice).

The room was good for sleeping with good sound proofing as I did not hear the people next door ( although I could hear the children as I walked down the corridor).
As my rate included a full buffet breakfast I did not go to the lounge on Sunday morning ( continental breakfast) again in Minsky's and it was very good.
The Living well health club is very good with a good sized gym, large swimming pool with jacuzzi ,steam room, sauna.
I left just before check out time of 12 noon and had to wait several minutes for a lift as everyone was leaving at the same time and the first couple of lifts were full. I took advantage of the express check out and avoided the queues at check out.

Overall a good stay, good value for money and 2000 Virgin Atlantic Miles plus the partner bonus ( 2nd last time I'll earn it and I think this stay will give be the 4000 quarter bonus ( for the first and last time)

Old Nov 13, 2002, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glasgow Transportation And Sightseeing Info

Does anyone have a suggestion in getting from GLA to the Glasgow Hilton (1 William St)?

And any suggestions for sightseeing? I havent there in years.

MisterNice
Old Nov 15, 2002, 4:05 pm

There is a regular bus service from the airport to the City Centre. Also you can get a taxi to the Hilton for approx £15. There is a proposal to build a rail link from the City Centre to the airport but it appears it is going to take up to 8 years to construct despite the fact that it apparently only requires 1 mile of track!
Once in the City visit Princes Square (the nicest shopping mall in UK), the Transport Museum, the Art Galleries, the massive choice of cafes and restaurants (try Cafe Gandolfi in Albion Street for a great lunch or evening meal). Scotland Street school is worth a visit as is the Burrell Gallery. The Gallery of Modern Art and the St Mungo Museum are great.
Outside the centre visit Loch Lomond and St Andrews if you have time.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 4:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
We stayed at the Glasgow Hilton in April of this year. We took the bus from the airport and it dropped us off about a block from the Hilton.

Been to Glasgow many times, but for the first time took a sightseeing bus tour (I believe it was Guide Friday), and it was very much worth the time. also, did a tour of the Glasgow City Hall and enjoyed that very much also.

The Hilton was very nice - it is a few blocks walk from Georges Square, but a nicve facility.

Larry
Old Nov 15, 2002, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Thanks for this post, I'm going to GLA in March, but for some reason the Hilton is sold out my weekend!! I'm at the ArtHouse Hotel, anyone have any comments about that property?? I'll keep trying for the Hilton, or an alternative?
Old Nov 15, 2002, 6:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mauld:
I'll keep trying for the Hilton, or an alternative?</font>
Just as long as it's not the Glasgow Marriott - a very disappointing hotel.
Old Nov 16, 2002, 3:38 pm

The Arthouse is a lovely hotel - it was the former headquarters of the Education Dept in Glasgow which was converted several years ago to a hotel. It is really nice and I am sure that you will enjoy your stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.