FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Glasgow {GBR}
View Single Post
Old Mar 24, 2002, 2:00 pm
The _Banking_Scot
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Just returned from a stay at the Glasgow Hilton yesterday.

At check in the check in agent wnt over to see the manager on duty to see if I could be upgraded (HHonors Gold). Unfortunately she said that it wasnot possible as the hotel was completly full fro that evening ( a couple of nights previously I checked the website to see if the price had fallen but it it said sold out. I was slightly dissapointed but I do understand that upgrades are subject to availability. The check in agent said that I could use the Executive lounge and I was given a confirmed non smoking room and a choice of low or high room. I chose High and was given the 14th floor facing west ( ie over the motorway and towards Glasgow University).
The roomwas good ( standard Hilton although I found that with only the main lights on the room was a littel dark and had to have the bed side lights on to read in bed.
The bathroom was fine with good water pressure in the shower and bath.
I went up to the Executive lounge on the 19th floor ( afternoon tea served between 14:00 & 17:00 Friday-Sunday I think with sandwiches cakes and scones and jam -very nice.
After returning from shopping I went back up to the lounge for evening drinks and nibbles ( 5-7 pm).A reasonable variety of nibbles and a good selection of free soft and alcoholic drinks were available althought the lounge got crowded as the Celtic-Ayr United football match was on.The staff in the lounge were very good with frequent runs to bring more chairs in .
I went down to Minskys deli for a buffet dinner (£21 although £15 for early bird ( 6-7pm Sun-Thurs) which was good with a good selection of main courses and deserts ( some of which were the same as the afternoon cakes served earlier in the lounge upstairs)
Raffles Bar is good with quick service ( I had a Pina Colada- very nice).

The room was good for sleeping with good sound proofing as I did not hear the people next door ( although I could hear the children as I walked down the corridor).
As my rate included a full buffet breakfast I did not go to the lounge on Sunday morning ( continental breakfast) again in Minsky's and it was very good.
The Living well health club is very good with a good sized gym, large swimming pool with jacuzzi ,steam room, sauna.
I left just before check out time of 12 noon and had to wait several minutes for a lift as everyone was leaving at the same time and the first couple of lifts were full. I took advantage of the express check out and avoided the queues at check out.

Overall a good stay, good value for money and 2000 Virgin Atlantic Miles plus the partner bonus ( 2nd last time I'll earn it and I think this stay will give be the 4000 quarter bonus ( for the first and last time)