Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Glasgow {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by cjd
Not aware of any other UK Hilton or Doubletree only giving Diamonds or Golds continental breakfast. Let's hope the others don't follow suit.
Last experience of the “Bacon Tax” was several years ago at the Hilton Manchester Airport. Not heard of it in recent times, I thought it was a thing of the past.

I imagine the exec lounge at Glasgow will become even more crowded!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Hilton's Kensington has been enforcing this for years, diamonds must take breakfast in lounge....tried it with me a couple of years back even with my public sector rate including breakfast!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Have only stayed at Kensington once in the last couple of years, I think October 2016.
Remember the lounge being pretty good, but also remember having breakfast in the main restaurant with no issues?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond KLM gold
Stayed there the 8th of August. No mention at all that I could only have continental breakfast and in fact cannot see how they could check this. I had breakfast in the lounge then went to the restaurant to have my favourite part of breakfast there porridge with a tot of whisky on it. No problems at all. Everyone very friendly. Hoping to stay on the 30th to watch Celtic in the Europa League.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, BA Exec Club Silver
Breakfast still on offer

Hi all

New user, been lurking for a while, thought only right to stick in my tuppence-worth!

checked in to Glasgow Hilton today. Gold member (2 stays away from Diamond). Booked Queen Guest Room, no upgrade offered, despite being 3 more expensive rooms available per the app, including King Executive. Told I'd get free wi-if as a Gold Member...lucky me! More importantly, full breakfast in the restaurant offered.

Digitsl key asked for, took 40mins to arrive. The good news when it did arrive is that it had Executive Lounge access added. Quirk of the system- who knows- but this has happened for me before, as well as a colleague who is HH Silver.

Currently in Lounge waiting to forage for canapés when they arrive and looking forward to the full breakfast tomorrow- they do it really well here!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Stand Free
Hi all

New user, been lurking for a while, thought only right to stick in my tuppence-worth!

checked in to Glasgow Hilton today. Gold member (2 stays away from Diamond). Booked Queen Guest Room, no upgrade offered, despite being 3 more expensive rooms available per the app, including King Executive. Told I'd get free wi-if as a Gold Member...lucky me! More importantly, full breakfast in the restaurant offered.

Digitsl key asked for, took 40mins to arrive. The good news when it did arrive is that it had Executive Lounge access added. Quirk of the system- who knows- but this has happened for me before, as well as a colleague who is HH Silver.

Currently in Lounge waiting to forage for canapés when they arrive and looking forward to the full breakfast tomorrow- they do it really well here!
Glad you got something out of them, they’ve always been arseholes about upgrades here. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had to negotiate at check in for upgrades when rooms were available, I’ve been fed all the crap about those rooms are actually out of service sir etc etc.

if you’ve not already tried the Doubletree, I would recommend doing so.
Much better hotel, nicer rooms and normally upgrades in advance.
Far better lounge and never an issue around breakfast.
They often also comp parking.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by adobbing

Glad you got something out of them, they’ve always been arseholes about upgrades here. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had to negotiate at check in for upgrades when rooms were available, I’ve been fed all the crap about those rooms are actually out of service sir etc etc.

if you’ve not already tried the Doubletree, I would recommend doing so.
Much better hotel, nicer rooms and normally upgrades in advance.
Far better lounge and never an issue around breakfast.
They often also comp parking.
i used to prefer this one to Doubletree but, yes, that view is changing. Agree re the passive aggressive FD team here and suspect my lounge access is an IT quirk and not their choice, Compare and contrast with say Hilton Canary Wharf where I've never not had an upgrade....I digress.

I'll be back at Diamond in time for my stay at the DT in 2 weeks so good to compare and contrast. In other news, spirits are back in this lounge- 4 bottles on a 1970's style holder. Only beer is Bud Light. Hot food offerings are bizarre: what look like potato croquettes are macaroni bundles deep fried in breadcrumbs, haggis balls, and haggis pies topped with mashed potato. I feel my arteries hardening already.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond

i used to prefer this one to Doubletree but, yes, that view is changing. Agree re the passive aggressive FD team here and suspect my lounge access is an IT quirk and not their choice, Compare and contrast with say Hilton Canary Wharf where I've never not had an upgrade....I digress.

I'll be back at Diamond in time for my stay at the DT in 2 weeks so good to compare and contrast. In other news, spirits are back in this lounge- 4 bottles on a 1970's style holder. Only beer is Bud Light. Hot food offerings are bizarre: what look like potato croquettes are macaroni bundles deep fried in breadcrumbs, haggis balls, and haggis pies topped with mashed potato. I feel my arteries hardening already.
Yeah, agree on Hilton Canary Wharf.......I've never not got an executive upgrade there, even when I was a gold many years ago.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:58 pm

Hilton Glasgow are masters at playing games with upgrades. In the last dozen or so stays I think I have only been upgraded once before arrival and that was done in the twenty minutes before I actually arrived. On saying that looking at the availability for tonight there is nothing above a deluxe available and the only difference between a guest room and a deluxe is a bigger telly, a Nespresso machine and a bathrobe IIRC.

I've seen those macaroni canapés appear in a few different places recently. Some celebrity must have been spotted with a plate of macaroni somewhere as it seems to be a big craze at the moment. Spirits reappeared I think about a year ago now.

My two preferred Hilton properties in Glasgow are the Garden Inn and the Grosvenor. This property desperately needs refurbishing.

Are you dining in the hotel? I hear there is a new head chef and would be interested to hear how the food is these days.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:14 pm

Glad it's not just me that finds them underwhelming. Was a super hotel in the Hilton stable but dropping markedly. Didn't eat here, met a colleague in town, but bar etc looked deserted when I left and returned.
chrism20 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:42 pm

Glad it's not just me that finds them underwhelming. Was a super hotel in the Hilton stable but dropping markedly. Didn't eat here, met a colleague in town, but bar etc looked deserted when I left and returned.
Yeah it's slipped over the years. I thought once the DT came online that they may smarten up their act but so far it doesn't seem to be happening.

It seems to rely on the name a little too much for my liking.

Hope you enjoy the breakfast in the morning.

Oh - and welcome to FT
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed here recently because the DoubleTree was full.

This is such a legacy property that there is little to like about it from my perspective. I've stayed here since 2006 and I recall when the lounge was on the 19th floor, was bright and airy, had freshly baked shortbread and the hotel was really quite good. It has a very BA Barbara feel about it; resting on its laurels, thinks its premium, but its just not.

Room:
Exec rooms now have Nespresso, that's a clear positive.
Still the same bathrooms since opening in 1991. Shower that has standard water pressure that cannot be adjusted and fixed shower head. That's sooooooo old fashioned. Crap water pressure on the sink too.
Rooms are so dark. Big gap under the door that lets light in from the corridor, not exactly safe for spread of smoke. NO power sockets next to bed-DT has loads and USB too. It's one of those hotels that has to put the Hilton alarm clock on the desk, other side of the room. Great. So already I've got to do something special to charge my phone, use the power bank, then have to charge that next day.
A/c has no adjustable fan setting. On or off.

Lounge:
The lounge is frankly just awful. Can't stand rooms with no windows. Feels like a dark box. Much better drinks selection at DoubleTree plus better snacks. For some reason the soft cookies are next to the sofa, and I had to lean across to get them, bizarre place to place them and not on the buffet space.
Stupid stupid decision to move the lounge to the ground floor that I will never forgive. The 10 inch Grundig TV (Michael Scott micro plasma) fixed to the wall adds no atmosphere.

Breakfast:

After numerous reorganisations of breakfast, no coffee machines, then self-service automatic ones, now its a automatic coffee machines from a staffed area along with toast. I could understand if staff were preparing fresh coffee but thats just an odd setup. Like an Aspire lounge bar, but for coffee and toast...
No smoked salmon at the breakfast in the restaurant, only in the lounge, but it was that thin square stuff sold in Tesco for sandwiches that is just cheap and awful. Rather not bother.
No possibly to order anything like eggs benedict from what I could see. Compare to DT, where Royale, Benedict etc are free for Diamond.
That egg chef is still there, I remember him since the beginning, very nice chap. Bet he could run the hotel better than the suits wondering around.

This hotel embodies typical Hilton corporate management. With a fairly crap hard product you need to invest in the soft one, but they see the lounges only as a cost centre, not an asset.

Has "First" Dilmah tea lounge in the UK. Sorry, is Dilmah premium? Must have missed it. Ah, that must be why LOT Polish have it in their premium lounge.

By the way I saw the Scottish tourism board says its 4*. I am sure it used to be 5*. And those ratings have always been a joke anyway. Like BuyTrax.

Finally, the LOCATION there is little to like about this. Can't walk anywhere, you don't feel like you're in the city.

All in all, it doesn't matter I dislike this property, because Hilton has given us a good choice and I am most happy with the DT and I am sure the Hilton doesn't miss my business and those who share my view cos if they did, they would improve it where it doesn't involve knocking it down and starting again.
chrism20 and adobbing like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hugolover
I stayed here recently because the DoubleTree was full.

This is such a legacy property that there is little to like about it from my perspective. I've stayed here since 2006 and I recall when the lounge was on the 19th floor, was bright and airy, had freshly baked shortbread and the hotel was really quite good. It has a very BA Barbara feel about it; resting on its laurels, thinks its premium, but its just not.

Room:
Exec rooms now have Nespresso, that's a clear positive.
Still the same bathrooms since opening in 1991. Shower that has standard water pressure that cannot be adjusted and fixed shower head. That's sooooooo old fashioned. Crap water pressure on the sink too.
Rooms are so dark. Big gap under the door that lets light in from the corridor, not exactly safe for spread of smoke. NO power sockets next to bed-DT has loads and USB too. It's one of those hotels that has to put the Hilton alarm clock on the desk, other side of the room. Great. So already I've got to do something special to charge my phone, use the power bank, then have to charge that next day.
A/c has no adjustable fan setting. On or off.

Lounge:
The lounge is frankly just awful. Can't stand rooms with no windows. Feels like a dark box. Much better drinks selection at DoubleTree plus better snacks. For some reason the soft cookies are next to the sofa, and I had to lean across to get them, bizarre place to place them and not on the buffet space.
Stupid stupid decision to move the lounge to the ground floor that I will never forgive. The 10 inch Grundig TV (Michael Scott micro plasma) fixed to the wall adds no atmosphere.

Breakfast:

After numerous reorganisations of breakfast, no coffee machines, then self-service automatic ones, now its a automatic coffee machines from a staffed area along with toast. I could understand if staff were preparing fresh coffee but thats just an odd setup. Like an Aspire lounge bar, but for coffee and toast...
No smoked salmon at the breakfast in the restaurant, only in the lounge, but it was that thin square stuff sold in Tesco for sandwiches that is just cheap and awful. Rather not bother.
No possibly to order anything like eggs benedict from what I could see. Compare to DT, where Royale, Benedict etc are free for Diamond.
That egg chef is still there, I remember him since the beginning, very nice chap. Bet he could run the hotel better than the suits wondering around.

This hotel embodies typical Hilton corporate management. With a fairly crap hard product you need to invest in the soft one, but they see the lounges only as a cost centre, not an asset.

Has "First" Dilmah tea lounge in the UK. Sorry, is Dilmah premium? Must have missed it. Ah, that must be why LOT Polish have it in their premium lounge.

By the way I saw the Scottish tourism board says its 4*. I am sure it used to be 5*. And those ratings have always been a joke anyway. Like BuyTrax.

Finally, the LOCATION there is little to like about this. Can't walk anywhere, you don't feel like you're in the city.

All in all, it doesn't matter I dislike this property, because Hilton has given us a good choice and I am most happy with the DT and I am sure the Hilton doesn't miss my business and those who share my view cos if they did, they would improve it where it doesn't involve knocking it down and starting again.
Agreed.
Why they moved the exec lounge is beyond me.
The DT has a very pleasant exec lounge, The Hilton has an exec dungeon!
I too can’t understand why they have fenced off the bean to cup machines, it’s just all very awkward!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:39 am

Can’t say I disagree with much of that, it is a pretty accurate description of a property that has failed to move with the times whilst everything around it has.

The only thing that’s better at the Hilton compared to the DT is the orange juice at breakfast.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:31 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
FWIW, I preferred my stay at the Hilton in June 2016 over my stay at the DT in June 2017, but I only really go to Glasgow once a year; it looks like the Hilton is continually deteriorating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.