Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Glasgow {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Sounds rough!......although I did read on the latest TA report that spirits are now back in the lounge, confirmed by the manager......bet that won't last long!

Last edited by wizla; Mar 10, 2016 at 12:59 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Originally Posted by wizla
Sounds rough!......although I did read on the latest TA report that spirits are now back in the lounge, confirmed by the manager......bet that won't last long!
This I am very shocked at (assuming it is actually the case)...!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
This I am very shocked at (assuming it is actually the case)...!
Apparently.....it's about 7 posts down on trip advisor.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by wizla
Apparently.....it's about 7 posts down on trip advisor.
"It is great to hear that you were offered an upgrade to an executive room and found the facilities to be great. I am glad to hear that you took advantage of our executive lounge and you were happy to see that we now offer spirits again. "

Well spotted Wizla... this seems very out of character for Hilton Glasgow.
I wonder if this is why the food has been so poor recently, to balance the drinks budget
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:46 am

"It is great to hear that you were offered an upgrade to an executive room and found the facilities to be great. I am glad to hear that you took advantage of our executive lounge and you were happy to see that we now offer spirits again. "

Well spotted Wizla... this seems very out of character for Hilton Glasgow.
I wonder if this is why the food has been so poor recently, to balance the drinks budget
Haha, yeah could be.....don't understand it?.....it's the only exec lounge I know that serves soup as a canapé......strange.......I kinda liked it when I was there that time we met up.......I need an excuse to come to Scotland again , maybe the FT event in Edinburgh next May would be a good excuse.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:48 am

Possibly a reduction in booze being consumed due to the changes in the drink drive limits a year ago?

I know if I'm in a Scottish lounge now and driving before lunchtime the following day I won't have anymore than a couple of glasses as its too risky.

It appears to be the cold canapés that have been seriously reduced. Previously there were two hot ones (chicken wings/duck rolls and a veggie option) when I was there this was soup and cheese nuggets/balls.

There was no cold meat or anything - only Houmous and Caesar Salad - no chicken!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by chrism20
Possibly a reduction in booze being consumed due to the changes in the drink drive limits a year ago?

I know if I'm in a Scottish lounge now and driving before lunchtime the following day I won't have anymore than a couple of glasses as its too risky.

It appears to be the cold canapés that have been seriously reduced. Previously there were two hot ones (chicken wings/duck rolls and a veggie option) when I was there this was soup and cheese nuggets/balls.

There was no cold meat or anything - only Houmous and Caesar Salad - no chicken!
That is a very good point about the drink drive limit, I'm not a big drinker but its something to bear in mind.....would be an easy mistake to make!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
I have a feeling that the new Hampton will take away business from the Hilton unless it really ups its game. There are some dates in June where it's already less than £10 difference between the Hilton and the Hampton, which I would never normally expect.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
I have a feeling that the new Hampton will take away business from the Hilton unless it really ups its game. There are some dates in June where it's already less than £10 difference between the Hilton and the Hampton, which I would never normally expect.
I think it's the new Doubletree they should be worried about!
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by AMBurns1512
It works both ways though when the rates are like that. A lot of people will say sod it, it's only £10 more might as well book the Hilton proper.

Golds and diamonds especially with the vastly superior breakfast at the Hilton compared to a Hampton plus the lounge access for diamonds and possibility of it for gold - even if it is not the greatest of lounges. Car park actually onsite rather than across the road etc etc.

The Hiltons big test will come when the ex-Thistle completes its refurb and becomes a DT IMO.

I'm also not convinced the Hampton will be able to maintain those rates but would love to be proved wrong.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, AMEX plat
Originally Posted by chrism20
It works both ways though when the rates are like that. A lot of people will say sod it, it's only £10 more might as well book the Hilton proper.

Golds and diamonds especially with the vastly superior breakfast at the Hilton compared to a Hampton plus the lounge access for diamonds and possibility of it for gold - even if it is not the greatest of lounges. Car park actually onsite rather than across the road etc etc.

The Hiltons big test will come when the ex-Thistle completes its refurb and becomes a DT IMO.

I'm also not convinced the Hampton will be able to maintain those rates but would love to be proved wrong.
Originally Posted by adobbing
I think it's the new Doubletree they should be worried about!
I keep forgetting about the Doubletree!! You're both correct I feel.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:52 am

Can confirm spirits are now back in the lounge, having been there a few days ago.
Gin, Vodka, Rum and something else (can't remember what!). They are all on optics, but are still self serve unlike previously in Hilton Glasgow where during the drinks hour, all of the drinks were served by the staff and the bar area was cordoned off... (the one and only hotel I've seen this)
But get this, at around 7.45PM (8PM being the time the bar was to close) a very official looking gentleman came in to the lounge and was hovering over the area where the spirits were located and wasn't for moving. I got up to go to the toilet and noticed he was a security guard from his badge. He then stood and LEERED and I mean LEERED at every move a guest was making when they were up at the bar serving themselves spirits. He was literally right over their shoulder. One of the most ridiculous and certainly uncomfortable things I have encountered in a lounge. I assume he is there to discourage you from taking an extra large measure? I'm not really sure what on earth else they expect to happen (as a side note plenty of people were getting sizable measures, outside of his leering he didn't do anything about it). Then when it was getting closer to 8PM the guy was literally tapping on his watch in anticipation of 8PM coming so he could clear the spirits away the second the clock struck 8PM, and very loudly communicating this anticipation to the lounge dragon.

Odd what they are doing in the lounge. The food has been consistently poor over the last 6 month or so, it is very clear they have cut back on the budget there. I don't know how you can muck up leek and potato soup, but they managed. Their new menu card which is left on all of the tables offering select items of food from the bar food menu (burgers etc.) to be served to you in the lounge made me assume the food was going to be poor/sparse before it even came out, I assumed correctly.
What has improved is the spirits coming back (as their wine is utterly vile), and two very small things - they now have proper hand towels in the toilets (admittedly some of which were dirty) and also now have Peter Thomas Roth soap, which was previously just normal soap you'd get in any public toilet. Weird.

Booked two rooms. Managed to get one upgraded to an Exec (had to ask). The exec room we had was tired. Fire alarm PA speaker hanging from the ceiling, tired furniture.

General feeling of 'meh', looking forward to the DT opening in October.

As a side note, they now serve slice lorne sausage at breakfast which I think is new! Breakfast is one saving grace of this hotel, they do it pretty well.

Last edited by lifetimeblue; Apr 2, 2016 at 10:58 am
Old Apr 2, 2016, 11:02 am

Can confirm spirits are now back in the lounge, having been there a few days ago.
Gin, Vodka, Rum and something else (can't remember what!). They are all on optics, but are still self serve unlike previously in Hilton Glasgow where during the drinks hour, all of the drinks were served by the staff and the bar area was cordoned off... (the one and only hotel I've seen this)
But get this, at around 7.45PM (8PM being the time the bar was to close) a very official looking gentleman came in to the lounge and was hovering over the area where the spirits were located and wasn't for moving. I got up to go to the toilet and noticed he was a security guard from his badge. He then stood and LEERED and I mean LEERED at every move a guest was making when they were up at the bar serving themselves spirits. He was literally right over their shoulder. One of the most ridiculous and certainly uncomfortable things I have encountered in a lounge. I assume he is there to discourage you from taking an extra large measure? I'm not really sure what on earth else they expect to happen (as a side note plenty of people were getting sizable measures, outside of his leering he didn't do anything about it). Then when it was getting closer to 8PM the guy was literally tapping on his watch in anticipation of 8PM coming so he could clear the spirits away the second the clock struck 8PM, and very loudly communicating this anticipation to the lounge dragon.

Odd what they are doing in the lounge. The food has been consistently poor over the last 6 month or so, it is very clear they have cut back on the budget there. I don't know how you can muck up leek and potato soup, but they managed. Their new menu card which is left on all of the tables offering select items of food from the bar food menu (burgers etc.) to be served to you in the lounge made me assume the food was going to be poor/sparse before it even came out, I assumed correctly.
What has improved is the spirits coming back (as their wine is utterly vile), and two very small things - they now have proper hand towels in the toilets (admittedly some of which were dirty) and also now have Peter Thomas Roth soap, which was previously just normal soap you'd get in any public toilet. Weird.

Booked two rooms. Managed to get one upgraded to an Exec (had to ask). The exec room we had was tired. Fire alarm PA speaker hanging from the ceiling, tired furniture.
Thanks for the report mate, what a strange scenario?.......kind of- " help yourself to spirits but we will endeavour to make you feel you shouldn't ".........what a joke!
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we can be sure that the GM's here and at Newcastle with have each other at top of their Christmas card lists.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
I think we can be sure that the GM's here and at Newcastle with have each other at top of their Christmas card lists.
At least Glasgow is clean.

I'd have been tempted to summon the Duty Manager to ask if they are expecting trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.