Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

OLD Conrad Chicago {US-IL} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLD Conrad Chicago {US-IL} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
A mini trip report 3/20/09

Since I know my gold status will expire due to the changing of rolling tier status, I decided to see what kind of perks I will get as a gold, compare to Conrad Hong Kong that I stayed 2 months ago. Answer: Very minimal.

Checkin: I was told I got upgraded to the city view room, also continental breakfest coupon. I asked about why is it I am only getting continental, as Conrad Hong Kong actually offer breakfest at the lounge or buffet breakfest at the restaurant. Agent offer no answer.

Room: THe city view room 1437, actually facing north on Rush street, not much of a view, as most of the view are blocked by the next door Marriott, as it is much taller than the Conrad. I only get the partial view on the left side, which is some commercial and residential bulidings, no chicago landmarks. Anyone should not be paying $40 more than a room with regular view, it does not worth it at all. Room is slightly better than Hilton, but far from Conrad Hong Kong. There is a Conrad brand spring water on the lightstand, complimemtary to all guest no matter HHonors or not. The only thing I would say nice is probably the widescreen HDTV with Bose. However, some channels like NBC actually has weird sound, not clear at all, so does when I switch the Bose to radio. There is a pricy bath menu, with descriptions of products look like it is from Molton Brown. A stocked minibar, but already have notice if you remove something, it will be charge automatically to your bill.

Bathroom: It is quite similiar to the Conrad Hong Kong except no TV inside. Separate tub and showers, also inside the bathroom, there is a separate door to the toilet. There is no rubber duck next to the tub either like Conrad Hong Kong. The shape of the tub is very weird, it is deep, but narrow, not good at all for someone at a slightly bigger size. However, love the Acca Kappa toiletries. ^ (I had checked their website, it is quite pricy)

Turn down: At checkin, they ask if I want a turn down/refresh my bed, I certainly said yes. When I actually see it, I really wonder if it is a real "turn down". No chocolates or mints, the bed did refresh, but not in an inviting mode with slippers on the side, comforter fold to an angle. They did put extra 2 bottles of water on the lightstand though. No refresh of the toiletries even I had hided mine. The most important thing, where is the toy ????? Conrad Hong Kong will put the teddy bear at turn down, so where is it at Conrad Chicago ? I went dowstairs to the front desk, was told it is only on request ! It is a cow, the front desk did say they will deliver one to my room as soon as possible, but I didn't get it until 3 hours later.

The Restaurant: I use my cont.breakfest coupon the next morning, I was told I could apply the $14 on the coupon for other items as well, I opt not to, as i can see other items are quite expensive. The cont.breakfest basically consists of pastries, juices, and coffee or tea. I asked for a OJ at the beginning, no one come back to offer tea or coffee. The pastries plate consist of 2 danishes and 1 croissant, all cold, not even bother to warm it up like most hotel restaurants.

Conclusion: I pay $195 for 1 night stay, which is about the same with Conrad Hong Kong I stayed 2 months ago with the 50% off rate. There are several other Hilton properties nearby, HS, HGI, HI and ES, with DT and Hilton Suites several blocks away. I would definately stay in HGI instead, as the same day I stayed at Conrad, HGI was offering a price of $109, which as a gold, I will get full breakfest coupon, fridge and microwave in room. Poor value as a gold in Conrad Chicago, and especially for those have been to Conrad Hong Kong.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 24, 2009 at 10:54 pm
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Since I know my gold status will expire due to the changing of rolling tier status, I decided to see what kind of perks I will get as a gold, compare to Conrad Hong Kong that I stayed 2 months ago. Answer: Very minimal.

Checkin: I was told I got upgraded to the city view room, also continental breakfest coupon. I asked about why is it I am only getting continental, as Conrad Hong Kong actually offer breakfest at the lounge or buffet breakfest at the restaurant. Agent offer no answer.

Room: THe city view room 1437, actually facing north on Rush street, not much of a view, as most of the view are blocked by the next door Marriott, as it is much taller than the Conrad. I only get the partial view on the left side, which is some commercial and residential bulidings, no chicago landmarks. Anyone should not be paying $40 more than a room with regular view, it does not worth it at all. Room is slightly better than Hilton, but far from Conrad Hong Kong. There is a Conrad brand spring water on the lightstand, complimemtary to all guest no matter HHonors or not. The only thing I would say nice is probably the widescreen HDTV with Bose. However, some channels like NBC actually has weird sound, not clear at all, so does when I switch the Bose to radio. There is a pricy bath menu, with descriptions of products look like it is from Molton Brown. A stocked minibar, but already have notice if you remove something, it will be charge automatically to your bill.

Bathroom: It is quite similiar to the Conrad Hong Kong except no TV inside. Separate tub and showers, also inside the bathroom, there is a separate door to the toilet. There is no rubber duck next to the tub either like Conrad Hong Kong. The shape of the tub is very weird, it is deep, but narrow, not good at all for someone at a slightly bigger size. However, love the Acca Kappa toiletries. ^ (I had checked their website, it is quite pricy)

Turn down: At checkin, they ask if I want a turn down/refresh my bed, I certainly said yes. When I actually see it, I really wonder if it is a real "turn down". No chocolates or mints, the bed did refresh, but not in an inviting mode with slippers on the side, comforter fold to an angle. They did put extra 2 bottles of water on the lightstand though. No refresh of the toiletries even I had hided mine. The most important thing, where is the toy ????? Conrad Hong Kong will put the teddy bear at turn down, so where is it at Conrad Chicago ? I went dowstairs to the front desk, was told it is only on request ! It is a cow, the front desk did say they will deliver one to my room as soon as possible, but I didn't get it until 3 hours later.

The Restaurant: I use my cont.breakfest coupon the next morning, I was told I could apply the $14 on the coupon for other items as well, I opt not to, as i can see other items are quite expensive. The cont.breakfest basically consists of pastries, juices, and coffee or tea. I asked for a OJ at the beginning, no one come back to offer tea or coffee. The pastries plate consist of 2 danishes and 1 croissant, all cold, not even bother to warm it up like most hotel restaurants.

Conclusion: I pay $195 for 1 night stay, which is about the same with Conrad Hong Kong I stayed 2 months ago with the 50% off rate. There are several other Hilton properties nearby, HS, HGI, HI and ES, with DT and Hilton Suites several blocks away. I would definately stay in HGI instead, as the same day I stayed at Conrad, HGI was offering a price of $109, which as a gold, I will get full breakfest coupon, fridge and microwave in room. Poor value as a gold in Conrad Chicago, and especially for those have been to Conrad Hong Kong.
Two things struck me, isn't a continental breakfast what Conrad promises? If the Hong Kong Conrad gives a full breakfast just count that as a plus.
And the other thing, after getting ready to go to bed, you notice you were left no "toy" so you actually went down 14 floors at night to the Front Desk to question them about the status of your "toy" lol That is funny! Did you not just think about calling the Front Desk? Was it a nice 'toy"?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Two things struck me, isn't a continental breakfast what Conrad promises? If the Hong Kong Conrad gives a full breakfast just count that as a plus.
And the other thing, after getting ready to go to bed, you notice you were left no "toy" so you actually went down 14 floors at night to the Front Desk to question them about the status of your "toy" lol That is funny! Did you not just think about calling the Front Desk? Was it a nice 'toy"?
Yes, it is, I just think since they don't even have an exec. lounge, they should offer something a little more, e.g. drink vouchers. And their cont. breakfest a lot worst than what Hilton gives as continental, 3 cold pastries, that's it ?

I was on my way to dinner, so just stop by the front desk and ask. Although these are the only two Conrads I have been to so far, I think at other Conrads, they will just put it in the room rather than requesting, that just show what kind of service for the hotel. The "toy" is a signature item of Conrad, rather than just a "toy". Had you stayed in a Conrad you would know what I mean, every thing count no matter it is small or big. I just find that this property is slightly better than Hilton, rather than a top brand of Hilton family.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 25, 2009 at 9:13 am
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:19 am
Suspended

Yes, it is, I just think since they don't even have an exec. lounge, they should offer something a little more, e.g. drink vouchers. And their cont. breakfest a lot worst than what Hilton gives as continental, 3 cold pastries, that's it ?

I was on my way to dinner, so just stop by the front desk and ask. Although these are the only two Conrads I have been to so far, I think at other Conrads, they will just put it in the room rather than requesting, that just show what kind of service for the hotel. The "toy" is a signature item of Conrad, rather than just a "toy". Had you stayed in a Conrad you would know what I mean, every thing count no matter it is small or big. I just find that this property is slightly better than Hilton, rather than a top brand of Hilton family.
Getting bent out of shape over a 50 cent rubber ducky is a bit too much.

Having personally stayed at about 15 Conrads worldwide I will tell you that only about 50% of those properties do give you a stuffed animal or the rubber duck (usually its a little bear or in the case of the Conrad Miami a stuffed manatee ) .. so if I were you I wouldnt rate a property based on the "toy" you received.

mike
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Getting bent out of shape over a 50 cent rubber ducky is a bit too much.

so if I were you I wouldnt rate a property based on the "toy" you received.
I was rating with the room, turn down, the restaurant and status recognition if you see my post. However, extra stuff do attract my business to certain properties. I also saw those who post at the Conrad Hong Kong thread and for those who did a trip report really appreciate the duck and the bear. I do wonder did other Conrads you stay in have to request for the stuff animal or duck ? I am guessing asian properties will just give it to you no matter what, but US Conrads are on request only.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 25, 2009 at 10:22 pm
Old Apr 10, 2009, 4:50 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Staying here right now. As a Diamond I got no breakfast coupons at all and I really can't be bothered to call the Front Desk again, after having called them already twice to get a coffee-maker and the toy cow. I don't notice that I got any kind of room upgrade other than the city view I have which isn't all that great anyway. Also, my room only has a shower and no tub, which kind of negates them advertising a bath butler.

It is a very very hotel but I've had better rooms and better elite recognition at the Hilton Chicago & Hilton Suites Mag Mile. Admittedly I got a very good rate - $122 plus tax non-ref - but I just think that the difference between Conrad and normal Hiltons should be more discernable. The only real difference I can detect is the toiletries, but Aca Cappa means nothing to me.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Karter

It is a very very hotel but I've had better rooms and better elite recognition at the Hilton Chicago & Hilton Suites Mag Mile. Admittedly I got a very good rate - $122 plus tax non-ref - but I just think that the difference between Conrad and normal Hiltons should be more discernable. The only real difference I can detect is the toiletries, but Aca Cappa means nothing to me.
I agree, most of the time this Conrad charge $100 more than the nearby Hilton family hotels. But I couldn't see they do anything (service, amenities) more than the lower hilton brand except the toiletries. I can stay at the HGI, and 100% of the time I got full breakfest coupon without even asking.
Old May 6, 2009, 7:54 pm

I'll be staying at the Conrad Chicago for the first time in a few weeks but I don't have any HH status whatsoever. Is there a big fan of this property here who's visited it recently and would be willing to give me a referral? I figure if I contact them and mention my referrer's name I may have a better chance at an upgrade, while similarly the next time my referrer visits s/he'll likely receive preferential treatment as well--a win, win situation for the both of us.

Anyone interested just send me a PM.
Old May 7, 2009, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sheetz
I'll be staying at the Conrad Chicago for the first time in a few weeks but I don't have any HH status whatsoever. Is there a big fan of this property here who's visited it recently and would be willing to give me a referral? I figure if I contact them and mention my referrer's name I may have a better chance at an upgrade, while similarly the next time my referrer visits s/he'll likely receive preferential treatment as well--a win, win situation for the both of us.

Anyone interested just send me a PM.
Dont bother to do that, if you book a regular room, the upgrade you can get is a room with city view, no upgrade with amenities or the size of the room, no lounge and no buffet breakfest wil be offered. As reported, even diamond wouldn't get to upgrade to a suite unless you pay for the extra.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; May 7, 2009 at 9:35 pm
Old May 8, 2009, 1:46 am

Dont bother to do that, if you book a regular room, the upgrade you can get is a room with city view, no upgrade with amenities or the size of the room, no lounge and no buffet breakfest wil be offered. As reported, even diamond wouldn't get to upgrade to a suite unless you pay for the extra.
Aw well, it was just a thought. We don't really need an upgrade, just thought it would nice to see what they might offer. My travel companion is in town for an early birthday celebration, so I'll mention that and see what happens.
Old May 8, 2009, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sheetz
Aw well, it was just a thought. We don't really need an upgrade, just thought it would nice to see what they might offer. My travel companion is in town for an early birthday celebration, so I'll mention that and see what happens.
If it is Conrad Hong Kong, it may worth for the upgrade, that being said, Conrad Hong Kong will still be giving you a harbor view room as an "upgrade", rather than to the exec. floor, only gold or diamond can get to the exec. floor.

You can still try, but they are very strict and stingy regarding to someone has status or not, no matter what reason you give them. If a gold or diamond wouldn't get much perks out in Conrad Chicago, I wonder what are they going to react for someone non-status ? You can't even afford to be silver ? It is only 4 stays ! And many airlines will comp you to gold base on your airline status too. Bottom line, they want people to either spend the money, or as a loyalty to their chain.

If you are celebrate birthday for someone, why not just pay for a suite ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; May 8, 2009 at 8:24 am
Old May 8, 2009, 11:57 am

Location: DL MM & FC, Hertz Plat, Avis Pres Club, Nat'l Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond
I beg to differ with your assessment of no suite upgrades. I stay at this property ~2x/mo for one nighters and have an 80%+ upgrade to suite rate, and that's all at government rates. I've never been assigned a non-suite room that is not on the Mich. Ave. or city view side. I treat the staff the same way they treat me, with respect, and it pays off. They have a small front desk staff so I have gotten to know them well over time. I am greeted by name before I get to the counter. Regardless of the room assigned there is always a fresh fruit plate along with two Voss waters and a note from the manager.

I also take issue with those that compare it with the quality that you get at the Hilton, Hilton Suites, or the Palmer House...there is no comparrison in quality of furnishings, electronics, huge bathroom (tub, walk-in shower, separate toilet area), or the most important, the quietest guestroom that I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. I have yet to hear a neighbor even though they do have the nice Bose stereo with sub woofers that can be cranked up fairly high for a hotel room. Another plus over the others is the immaculate housekeeping.

I do confess, if you are looking for the benefit(?) of a crowded exec. lounge with warmed over ???? then the Conrad is not for you.
Old May 8, 2009, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Frankly I dont where you get some of the stuff you are posting?

OK so you stayed at the Chicago Conrad ONCE.. you didnt get the little rubber duck but that doesnt automatically make you all knowing with regard to all aspects of this property.. lets face it you are HH gold, how do you know what treatment Diamonds get?.

Having stayed here a number of times (including twice on points) I have been given a upgraded room everytime except when the TB Bucs stationed here for a Bears game and the hotel was full. I have always gotten continental breakfast ( which is generally all we require) or the value of that breakfast can be used against ordering ala carte.

On another paid trip the were given a $50 GC for the connected Fashion Center??? mall and two certs for cocktails.

mike
Old Aug 7, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Just booked a 5 night September stay "summer escape, stay 3 nights get the 4th free", it included "up to $400 in plus offers" does anyone know what "plus offers" entails? Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL, CO/UA, MR, HH, National, Hertz, WN
Special Occasion Upgrade?

Originally Posted by jsocpa
We were celebrating a special occasion and they took especially good care of us.
I know this is an ancient post, but I'm looking for some advice. I used some of the last of my rewards to book this hotel for the end of the month. I'm taking my gf for our 3 year and I was hoping someone could suggest a contact for this hotel so I can improve my shot at an upgrade. thanks in advance.

cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.