Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

OLD Conrad Chicago {US-IL} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLD Conrad Chicago {US-IL} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2007, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by troyintn
Would any one recomend it for our anniversary? We have done the drake already, and I will be in Chicago that week for work, out at the ES oakbrook. Wife is coming up to meet me. Thanks, for the suggestions.
I would check the main Conrad Chicago thread.

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Doesnt appear the OP has stayed in a great number of Conrads

Of those I can think of right off hand the Miami, Brussels, London, Dublin, Mt Juliet Conrads all have no lounges.

mike
Now that you say that, you're right
Old Mar 30, 2007, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid
I will inquire when I'm there as to why, unlike other Conrads that have such nice lounges like in Singapore.
You thought Conrad SIN had a nice lounge? It was way too hot and crowded... and I hate lounges where you can't fetch your own drink. I sat there waiting for ages until someone took my drink order.

And before you contradict me... yes, there was wine available for self-service but I wanted a pepsi max!
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:45 am

$Queen Deluxe Room > $King Deluxe Room?

Why is this room more expensive at the Conrad Chicago? because of the city view? Would that be considered an upgrade?
Old Jun 1, 2007, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Most likey because this was built as a Le Meridien hotel and converted to a Conrad in late 2005 IIRC
I just booked a room at this hotel via the phone. I had not read this thread first and inquired if there was an executive lounge. They responded, "no, because every floor is an executive floor because its a very nice hotel." That was not really my point in asking, but that was the reason provided for no executive lounge.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta FO
Conrad Chicago Trip Report 6-7-07

Staying at Conrad for the night. Very convenient location particularly if you like to be near shopping. Upgradaed to City view room - view is actually of the Intercontinental across the street but room is very large and nice. Hotel check-in staff friendly, comfy bed. TV channel selections pathetic and somewhat of a waste that they put in such nice hi-def TVs when you are limited mostly to news/sports/and local network stations but they have clock radio/ipod docking stations in the room. The rooms do have dvd players also. Breakfast cost are extreme. With my $14 credit [which I had to request], it was still $30 for two of us, plus tip, for the buffet. Due to cost of hotel [I paid $325 for a non-city view room], I probably would not stay here if on my own dime, but it is nice.

Edited to add:

I originally forgot to mention the hotel had free wireless internet access in the rooms although no where in the room is this advertised or mentioned - I had to call the front desk to inquire. Also, I saw my friend's non-city view room and it was smaller than my upgraded city view room but still a decent size.

Last edited by Donna D; Jun 8, 2007 at 8:53 am
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:07 pm

Conrad Chicago or Intercontinental

Hi all, I'll be in Chicago for a conference from 8/12 - 8/16 and have a choice between these two hotels. The conference itself is in Intercontinental but Conrad is right across the street. Based on the reviews, the Conrad appears to be the better hotel but since I've never been to Chicago, I just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions or comments about these two properties. Basically, I just wanted to find out if it was worth the trouble of having to cut through the mall and Nordstroms, go across the street to get to the conference every morning. Also, would I even be able to cut through at 8am in the morning?

For what it's worth, there's only a $3 difference in price and I'm Gold at both rewards program.

My apologies if this isn't the correct forum to post this.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by maddawg995
Hi all, I'll be in Chicago for a conference from 8/12 - 8/16 and have a choice between these two hotels. The conference itself is in Intercontinental but Conrad is right across the street. Based on the reviews, the Conrad appears to be the better hotel but since I've never been to Chicago, I just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions or comments about these two properties. Basically, I just wanted to find out if it was worth the trouble of having to cut through the mall and Nordstroms, go across the street to get to the conference every morning. Also, would I even be able to cut through at 8am in the morning?

For what it's worth, there's only a $3 difference in price and I'm Gold at both rewards program.

My apologies if this isn't the correct forum to post this.

I just noticed your a newbie. First, Welcome to FT.

Just so you know there is a handy dandy "search" tool, that will help you navigate around FT, I suggest you get familiar with using it as most likely a question you have has already be asked and answered. I would like to suggest reading the FAQ sticky above as well.

Listed below is the conrad chicago master thread.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...conrad+chicago

The buildings are right accross the street as mentioned. You do not have to enter Nordstroms to enter the hotel. The Conrad has entrance/exit via the mall and via the street. I've done a review of this property (in the link provided above) and specifically point that out. Its not difficult.

Last edited by KENNECTED; Jul 16, 2007 at 12:41 pm Reason: noticed the OP was a newbie.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 1:01 pm

Thanks for the response and tips. I actually already read your thread before I posted but it didn't answer my question. Basically, it comes down to this:
Is the Conrad worth the trouble of having to go across the street every morning?

I remember reading somewhere that the entrance on Michigan Ave is closed when the mall is closed. Since I have to get to the conf by 8am, I may have to get out on Rush and walk a couple of extra blocks. Can anyone confirm?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by maddawg995
Thanks for the response and tips. I actually already read your thread before I posted but it didn't answer my question. Basically, it comes down to this:
Is the Conrad worth the trouble of having to go across the street every morning?

I remember reading somewhere that the entrance on Michigan Ave is closed when the mall is closed. Since I have to get to the conf by 8am, I may have to get out on Rush and walk a couple of extra blocks. Can anyone confirm?

As per my last stay, per the security folks at the Westfield North Bridge security, all you have to do is show security your hotel room key and you'll be able to walk thru the mall before or after actuall mall operating hours.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 2:14 pm
Original Member

Having spent quite a bit of time in both properties, I would opt for the Intercontinental (as long as you can secure a room in the older half of the hotel). Otherwise, take the Conrad.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 3:34 pm

May I ask why?

I forgot to mention since I'm gold at Hilton, there's a chance I may get a nicer room. For IC, I believe all I get is a late check out.

Originally Posted by hreamer
Having spent quite a bit of time in both properties, I would opt for the Intercontinental (as long as you can secure a room in the older half of the hotel). Otherwise, take the Conrad.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
The InterContinental Chicago is very generous to its Ambassador members. I had been consistently upgraded to either the Executive Suites in the Main building or Delux room in the Historical Tower when I book the lowest avaliable rate. The upgrades occur prior to my date of arrival as I can see my room type changes in my online reservation.
The regular rooms at IC main building is inferior to any of the rooms in Conrad. The rate at IC's Historical Tower is a lot more than the rates at Main Tower. If you plan to stay at IC, make sure you purchase the Ambassador status ($150/year). I will NOT book the regular rate at IC main building without Ambassador status.
As a Hilton Diamond member who travels to Chicago frequently, I am not pleased with upgrade treatment at the Drake, Conrad and Palmer House.
My last stay at Conrad at ($350/night), I did not receive any welcome gift (I am not sure if it exists), no breakfast voucher (I believe HH members only receive $12 dinning credit).
Old Jul 16, 2007, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyinglan
I did not receive any welcome gift (I am not sure if it exists), no breakfast voucher (I believe HH members only receive $12 dinning credit).
Did you ask at reception why you didn't receive these?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 6:53 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyinglan
As a Hilton Diamond member who travels to Chicago frequently, I am not pleased with upgrade treatment at the Drake, Conrad and Palmer House.
My last stay at Conrad at ($350/night), I did not receive any welcome gift (I am not sure if it exists), no breakfast voucher (I believe HH members only receive $12 dinning credit).
I get small upgrades at the drake corner room etc, and exec club. At the Conrad same thing the corner rooms are good size, they give you some water for your welcome gift, the breakfast certs are for a contintal or they will give you $12 credit for anything on the menu. I prefer the conrad to the Drake. It is a nice hotel, Overall conrads are a lot like Westins. At the conrad you will hae to take two elevators ad the lobby is on the fifth floor.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the Conrad is great (it used to be a Le Meridien, FWIW).

If the mall security gives you a problem, walk 1/2 block south on Michigan Ave., take a right and go down the staircase to Grand Ave., and in about 2 minutes you're at the Conrad's street level entrance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.