Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

OLD Conrad Chicago {US-IL} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLD Conrad Chicago {US-IL} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by cop35758
Stayed here Friday night on points. Was upgraded to their Executive Premium King Room which is a much more updated room than any other room I've stayed in at the Conrad. Was issued diamond breakfast certs for $19 which basically covered one entree on the menu. Coffee was not covered so I ended up spending $11 on a free breakfast. Seems a little stingy.
Didn't you have the choice of the Hilton Honors breakfast (healthy or hearty options) which includes coffee? Or did you just choose to order off the menu?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Didn't you have the choice of the Hilton Honors breakfast (healthy or hearty options) which includes coffee? Or did you just choose to order off the menu?
Jerry,

We we're not presented with any options that included coffee. I kept telling my wife that I didn't think we had paid for coffee last time but I couldn't remember for sure. Maybe they are trying to get every penny before closing up shop in September.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: DL,HH,SPG,ICH,Thrifty,Hertz
I received an email introducing the hotel as the Gwen and that it would now be an SPG property. I have a couple of paid stays (Sept. & Dec.) coming up that I made when it was still the Conrad. They told me that they will still honor my reservations at the rate I booked and that I will receive double SPG points. I like the location so I think I will try it out.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by skosti
I received an email introducing the hotel as the Gwen and that it would now be an SPG property. I have a couple of paid stays (Sept. & Dec.) coming up that I made when it was still the Conrad. They told me that they will still honor my reservations at the rate I booked and that I will receive double SPG points. I like the location so I think I will try it out.
Double? Why? I hope you received that in WRITING.@:-)@:-)@:-)
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
Originally Posted by cop35758
Stayed here Friday night on points. Was upgraded to their Executive Premium King Room which is a much more updated room than any other room I've stayed in at the Conrad. Was issued diamond breakfast certs for $19 which basically covered one entree on the menu. Coffee was not covered so I ended up spending $11 on a free breakfast. Seems a little stingy.
Go to the drake. Lots of history and great bar and ballroom. Stayed there at a Friday night with livemusic and it felt I was in 1960 with Sinatra.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: DL,HH,SPG,ICH,Thrifty,Hertz
I do. It is from an email they sent to me concerning my multiple reservations for after September 01.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A little more information concerning the new Conrad with a spring 2016 completion date:
http://chicago.eater.com/2015/12/4/9...rants-mag-mile
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:48 pm

Cool stuff. I have a weekend trip to Chicago next summer and will have a free night cert burning a hole in my pocket, so maybe I'll give it a go over the WA, assuming it's open and has availability.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I am very much looking forward to giving the new Conrad a spin during one of my summer trips.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 7:17 am

I suppose we should not get too far ahead of ourselves. There doesn't really seem to be much information on what the property will include that would be of interest from a loyalty program member's perspective. The fact that the property appears that it will be only 4% suites does not bode well for upgrades. And I haven't found any mention of whether there will be an EL. When I hear "new Conrad" I get all excited and think HKG, BKK, DXB, but it could just as likely be like NYC: "Diamond? Here's a muffin, now get lost."
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miesque
I am very much looking forward to giving the new Conrad a spin during one of my summer trips.
I'm looking forward to the spring 2016 openings of both the new Conrad and the LondonHouse.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Cool stuff. I have a weekend trip to Chicago next summer and will have a free night cert burning a hole in my pocket, so maybe I'll give it a go over the WA, assuming it's open and has availability.
What? Why??? I'm not trying to be facetious, but the WA in Chicago ranks up in my top 2 hotels that I've ever stayed at. (Conrad Macao being the other one.) If the new Conrad was anything like the old Conrad, then I'd rather stay home and not waste the money/points.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
What? Why??? I'm not trying to be facetious, but the WA in Chicago ranks up in my top 2 hotels that I've ever stayed at. (Conrad Macao being the other one.) If the new Conrad was anything like the old Conrad, then I'd rather stay home and not waste the money/points.
Maybe because it's new and different.
I don't think the new Conrad is going to be anything like the old Conrad and in any event, imo the old Conrad wasn't so bad that I wouldn't "waste money/points." Besides it was usually available for much less than the WA. I really like the WA too but I don't always stay that far north nor does that mean I'm not looking forward to the new Conrad and the Londonhouse.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
WA is a great hard product, but they offer no real elite benefits and I've never really felt welcome there on awards stays. No breakfast, no lounge, and the one time I managed to get a suite upgrade, I basically had to beg and it left a bad taste in my mouth. They just want money, and don't care about elites.

On the other hand, I've had fantastic stays at international Conrads - think of your Conrad Macau example - and while a domestic one probably won't offer all of those perks (unlikely to have free booze in the lounge, etc.), there is a chance that this property could be very nice by U.S. standards. It will be brand new, and the hard product could potentially be right up there with the WA. Plus, by default it will offer elites breakfast, and there will presumably be a lounge. For me, these are big advantages over the WA, where the main elite benefit seems to be "We're letting you stay at the WA, come gaze in awe at all of the white marble."

The point of my post was that if the new Conrad offered a better all-around experience, then it might be worth a try.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I really enjoyed the old Chicago Conrad, but its not in the same class as the Waldorf Astoria, nor price range (which is usually about double the rate of the Conrad). I have had fabulous service in my stays in the Waldorf and have had great success being upgraded (granted all my stays at WA have been paid, so they may have a different vibe for points stays) and I have always had great service and gotten upgrades at Conrad Chicago (actually I think the Chicago Hilton properties do a great job, the Drake I almost always get upgraded at as well). I can certainly see if free breakfast is meaningful to you that Conrad is obviously a better choice, but I just have to argue that I consider the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to be a spectacular hotel and I consider it a real treat to myself when I stay there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.