Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

OLD Conrad Chicago {US-IL} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLD Conrad Chicago {US-IL} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
The hotel is actually the “old” McGraw-Hill Building.
IIRC, when Le Meridien was being constructed, they removed the facade of the landmark-protected building, then re-assembled the facade stone-by-stone. It is indeed a beautiful re-use of the historic building.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
IIRC, when Le Meridien was being constructed, they removed the facade of the landmark-protected building, then re-assembled the facade stone-by-stone. It is indeed a beautiful re-use of the historic building.
Yes they did, I was told, my the Manger on Duty, that it was one of the most expensive rehabs in the city of Chicago.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:29 pm

I've found that the service at the InterContinental accross the street is much better and at a lower rate often times.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Red face I added pictures

to my above trip report. Sorry for the delay, I totally forgot.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:04 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
My new favorite "Hilton" in Chicago.

Had my first stay there a couple weeks ago and I was WOWed.

Other Hiltons cannot begin to compare to the level of quality it offers. For location purposes (anything near N. Michigan) and stick with Hilton I'd resigned myself to staying with the HGI, DT, ES or even the HS!

Now, there is no other Hilton choice that I'll consider in Chicago other than the Conrad. The price is big, but the rooms are like-new and the service is fantastic. As a diamond I had a bowl of fruit and sparkling water waiting for me, coupons for breakfast, etc.

The suite I got was as big as any other room I've seen at any of the Hiltons, ES, DoubleTree, etc. (other than the Presidential Suite of the Hilton and Towers - which is enormous, but good luck trying to get upgraded to that one! Only once for me).

The Conrad is a perfect location and gave me a near-perfect stay. I can't wait to go back. ^
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Stayed there a couple of weeks ago.
First of all Location is fantastic.
Had the best suite in the house (not an upgrade) which was great except the terrible material on the sofas which is just awful to the touch.

We had a massive issue with the service in the breakfast room which was in our opinion appalling, and unfriendly.
Our issue relates mainly to one member of staff, who unfortunately was the one who served us almost every morning of our stay.
Besides that the service was good and friendly if not outstanding.

As a Gold member we got breakfast vouchers (which then also became part of the issue with the waiter in the breakfast room) but that’s more or less it, no upgrade as there was nothing to upgrade us to from our reserved suite, but also no fruit in the room etc.

Whether or not I would stay there again probably depends on the level of response I get back from my letter I wrote to HH after the stay.
I am still waiting...
Old May 14, 2006, 11:37 am

Burning some points on a week's stay there in mid-June, in part on the strength of these reviews.

Old Jul 1, 2006, 9:24 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
I am here at the Conrad now for the weekend. I checked in yesterday around 10am. I did let the hotel know I would be early and my room was ready. Now they say this is an upgraded room but I do not think it is. I have a view of Michigan Ave (that's upgraded) anyway the room is OK. As previous reported everything is new and modern. The beds are very comfortable.

I just had breakfast and it was not very good. Considering I spend some 150+ nights a year in hotels this is one of the worst breakfast buffet I have seen. Very few choices, eggs not good, no oatmeal, no meats, no potatoes, 3 choices of cereal with the milk at the buffet SO you have to open the cereal right their hold up the line then pour the milk. On the good side the coffee was excellent!

I am paying $175.00 + tax a night for this weekend. I can honestly say that I would not be back paying this rate. I do not feel this hotel is worth anything over say $140.00 a night. If anyone has questions on the Conrad post here and I will respond.

Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2006, 9:50 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by mach92
I just had breakfast and it was not very good. Considering I spend some 150+ nights a year in hotels this is one of the worst breakfast buffet I have seen. Very few choices, eggs not good, no oatmeal, no meats, no potatoes, 3 choices of cereal with the milk at the buffet SO you have to open the cereal right their hold up the line then pour the milk. On the good side the coffee was excellent!
If you are looking for a good hotel buffet breakfast in downtown Chicago, the Swissotel, about a five minute walk from the Conrad, offers a great one. Not surprisingly, it has a European theme.

For a quick breakfast, walk a couple of blocks south of Michigan Ave. There's a Corner Bakery on Wacker. Good pastries.

One of the best breakfasts in Chicago:

Lou Mitchell's
565 W. Jackson Blvd
Old Jul 2, 2006, 8:06 am

We checked out after one night. Between the parking charge and hotel rate, this place is just not worth it.
I also got a diamond upgrade of a Chicago view. No big deal. Since they have many suites of diferent sizes available it would have been nice to see them try and impress diamonds with a better stay.
I agree that the breakfast is blah.
I moved here from an okay Westin that still was overall superior.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by jabez
We checked out after one night. Between the parking charge and hotel rate, this place is just not worth it.
I also got a diamond upgrade of a Chicago view. No big deal. Since they have many suites of diferent sizes available it would have been nice to see them try and impress diamonds with a better stay.
I agree that the breakfast is blah.
I moved here from an okay Westin that still was overall superior.
Had they done any of the renovations at that time?
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by stratofortress
Had they done any of the renovations at that time?
Not sure since I hadn't stayed there before. Rooms didn't seem all that old/tired,but not that special either.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:14 am

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by jabez
Not sure since I hadn't stayed there before. Rooms didn't seem all that old/tired,but not that special either.
I agree.....you'd think a upper end property will try to impress Diamonds as much as possible....but I got no special recognition, no welcome note, no welcome amenity, NOT EVEN complimentary water!

I stayed on a sold out weekend using a Diamond Force, and the rack shows $525 for the room I stayed in......

Breakfast was terrible, service non existent. Valet/doorman is a joke! Parked the car and forgot to take out the luggage, so he had to fetch the car and get the bags again.....

Overall, the property is a 4-star level, but no where near say the level of Conrad Tokyo or even Hong Kong......

Sadly, I have to say this Conrad is not a worthy addition to Conrad portfolio.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 4:34 pm

Programs: UAL 1K , HHonors Diamond
Conrad Chicago - Breakfast or Upgrade for HH Golds?

My wife and I will be staying at the Conrad Chicago for the first time, and I was wondering if we would be offered either a complimentary continental breakfast or an up-graded room (or possibly both)? Is there any value in letting them know that after that stay I will be a HH Diamond in order to get a better room type?
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Don't know about this particular Conrad. But I would consider a mattress run before to get the diamond.
But thats just me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.