Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SixAlpha
Parking is $39 a day. No real off-site parking options on Coronado. Also there is a mandatory $30/day resort fee which is mistakenly not included in the prepay quote, but is accurately quoted on pay later rates.
Crazy thing is: I couldn't find a single pay later rate. Everything was prepaid.

I thought maybe it was a Day 1 website glitch, but I just went and plugged in a random off-peak January night: even the "Flexible/Changeable" rate is prepaid.

Somewhat limits the likelihood that I book this hotel far in advance.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
For those like myself who want a hotel with a decent view (aka water view) are you better off at Hilton Harbor Island or Hilton Bayfront. There does seem to be some consensus from what I have read that that they don't have as good Diamond appreciation/service as the Hilton Gaslamp, but that doesn't appear to have any decent water views (Hilton San Diego Resort is sold out during the period I am looking at).

Also I assume its easy to get to the Amtrak station from the downtown hotels?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Suggestion for San Diego

Which property would You suggest to stay at for 2 nights in January in San Diego? Using free weekend certificate.

There are so many properties to choose from - difficult to decide.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
How about the Hotel del Coronado? We used a certificate there recently. Our room could have used an update, but aside from that, it was a pretty enjoyable stay.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by ellylex
Which property would You suggest to stay at for 2 nights in January in San Diego? Using free weekend certificate.

There are so many properties to choose from - difficult to decide.
What do you want to do while you are in San Diego?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bicoastal Yokel
How about the Hotel del Coronado? We used a certificate there recently. Our room could have used an update, but aside from that, it was a pretty enjoyable stay.
Thank You for suggestion. I did like the photos, but what is holding me back is $30 resort fee. Did You park at the property or there is a cheaper option nearby?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
What do you want to do while you are in San Diego?
Perhaps whale watching, Safari park, restaurants. It would be nice to have a beautiful view of the harbor. I am also considering walking to restaurants even though I could also drive.

I was also considering Homewood Suites and Embassy Suites - some reviews are great, hotels have complimentary breakfast, but others mention that one can hear the railway nearby.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:10 pm

Perhaps whale watching, Safari park, restaurants. It would be nice to have a beautiful view of the harbor. I am also considering walking to restaurants even though I could also drive.

I was also considering Homewood Suites and Embassy Suites - some reviews are great, hotels have complimentary breakfast, but others mention that one can hear the railway nearby.
Well, then I wouldn't suggest the Hotel Del as the only thing you can do easily from there is walk to restaurants. The Safari Park is not in San Diego, but out in Escondido. Figure 45 minutes each way. The Del has a view of the ocean, not the Bay.

Look at the Hilton Gaslamp. I like it much better than the Bayfront, though it doesn't have a view like the Bayfront does. The trolley and train can be heard from most of the hotels downtown. Luckily, the freight trains don't have to blast their horns at each road crossing like they used to.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:17 pm

Thank You for details!!!
I have been to San Diego 10 years ago... and did enjoy Coronado island (did not stay there, just went to a restaurant)

And why do You choose Hilton Gaslamp over Bayfront? It is more pleasant area to walk around? Have You been/seen the new properties?

PS I hope to find cheaper parking options nearby. The hotel prices are ridiculous.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
Thank You for suggestion. I did like the photos, but what is holding me back is $30 resort fee. Did You park at the property or there is a cheaper option nearby?
We self-parked at the Del for $39/night. We were not charged a separate resort fee. I would probably recommend the Del only if you’re going to spend most of your time on the property (which is what we did). If you’re going to visit other attractions, I would probably stay somewhere else.

In the last year or so, we’ve stayed at the Gaslamp, Bayview, Embassy Suites and the Doubletree. The only one I would probably steer clear of is the Doubletree, and mostly because of the location (away from the water) and their parking garage (really tight).
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:09 pm

Thank You for details!!!
I have been to San Diego 10 years ago... and did enjoy Coronado island (did not stay there, just went to a restaurant)

And why do You choose Hilton Gaslamp over Bayfront? It is more pleasant area to walk around? Have You been/seen the new properties?

PS I hope to find cheaper parking options nearby. The hotel prices are ridiculous.
I like the Gaslamp hotel better: better location, better elite treatment, better ambiance. The Bayfront is just a standard, cookie-cutter convention hotel. No breakfast, only vouchers to Starbucks.

I know there are people that like the Bayfront, but I'm not one of them.

Parking downtown can be very expensive. Cheaper options would depend on what days you are going to be here. Meters aren't checked on Sundays, so if you find a spot on the street you're good all day.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:16 pm

I like the Gaslamp hotel better...
I do not have elite status, so it would not make a difference for me. I am more interested in the ambience as You stated... So Gaslamp area has metered parking (good to know - Thank You)

Days of stay will be Saturday and Sunday in January.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bicoastal Yokel
...If you’re going to visit other attractions, I would probably stay somewhere else.

In the last year or so, we’ve stayed at the Gaslamp, Bayview, Embassy Suites ...
I see - thanks for resort fee clarification.
Which Hilton brand hotel You liked more - based on location, ambience? (except Coronado one)

Is it worth to consider Garden Inn and Homewood Suites (I think both of the properties are newer) - the ones next to each other OR to go with Hilton Gaslamp?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:32 pm

Which Hilton brand hotel You liked more - based on location, ambience? (except Coronado one)

Is it worth to consider Garden Inn and Homewood Suites (I think both of the properties are newer) - the ones next to each other OR to go with Hilton Gaslamp?
Their location is meh. They have a lovely view of a car wash and manufacturing plant. They are close to the Little Italy, so you would have a lot of dinner options.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

Gaslamp is a much better location. There are pay lots scattered about downtown within a few blocks of the Hilton Gaslamp where you may find longer term parking less expensive than parking with the hotel itself. (Metered parking is only good for two hours on Saturday, free on Sunday.)

You'd still pay to park in the Little Italy locations, no? The pay for parking issue seems like a "can't see the forest because of the trees" type of situation to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.