FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/474247-discussion-hilton-honors-hotels-near-san-diego-california-usa-us-ca.html)

mrnick Oct 23, 2000 2:07 pm

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

I am thinking of using points and/or United 1/2 price coupon for one of the Hilton's in the San Diego area. I'm planning on going the first week of December. Question-what is the best(grandest) of the Hiltons in the area? Do any of these have lounges that I can access? Any help would be appreciated.

svpii Oct 25, 2000 9:39 am

I haven't stayed at all in the area, but I have stayed at the Del Mar and Torrey Pines.. I would STRONGLY recommend Torry Pines.. it's terrific!

Captain Mike Oct 25, 2000 2:23 pm

Mr. Nick:

Welcome, in advance, to San Diego! I am somewhat familiar with the Hiltons here. Torrey Pines, as mentioned, is terrific. Del Mar is usually disappointing - small, though good location. Mission Valley Hilton was converted from a Doubletree some time ago - great location - high rise structure, likely has concierge lounge. Also, Hilton is in the process of opening a new property in the Gaslamp area of downtown. I don't know if it's open yet, but that will be the center of "action", if that's what you're after!

I'd be available for drinks or dinner if you'd like to meet. E-mail me if you're interested!

JayBrian Oct 25, 2000 4:08 pm

I have stayed at the Del Mar Hilton. I'll give it a 7 out of 10. Its right next to the Del Mar Race Track (horses) and one or two exits north of La Jolla. If the Torry Pines Hilton is the same place that used to be the Sheraton it is great (Definately the "Grandest")but a bit pricey, right on the Torry Pines Golf Course over looking the Ocean. When I stay in Mission Valley I prefer the Marriott over the Hilton.

Jay

FFlyCatcher Apr 7, 2001 4:00 pm

HHonors properties near San Diego Convention Center

Any recommendations on the Hilton HHonors related properties nearby the SD Convention Center?

ROADRUNNER Apr 7, 2001 4:15 pm

There is a Marriott connected to the Convention Center, but no Hilton nearby, that I remember. Also a Hyatt in walking distance.

Helen123 Apr 7, 2001 4:50 pm

There's a Embassy Suite about 2-3 blocks from Convention Ctr. My coworkers stayed there last year during a SD Convention and they said the walk is short and reasonable.

WebCrawler Apr 7, 2001 5:20 pm

I was just at the center three weeks ago and there is a newer Hilton Garden Inn right across from the center. When the new ballpark is finished it'll be right next to it.

d man Apr 7, 2001 8:06 pm

I also returned from a trip to San Diego for a convention recently. I always look for HHonors properties and had a difficult time finding an open room. I opted to stay at the Doubletree Hotel - Mission Valley. While it is probably 10 minutes outside the city, the convenient San Diego Trolley stops directly in front of the hotel. The trip is approximately 15 minutes in duration and costs $1.75 one way. (Multiple day passes can be purchased.) There are many restraunts and shopping near the Doubletree -the staff was great and I got an executive level room for $95.00 per night. Any questions, please feel free to email me directly.

Zip Apr 8, 2001 1:00 pm

Just returned from a stay in S.D. There is the Hilton Gaslamp, directly across the street from the Convention Center. As Gold, I was upgraded to the Executive 12th floor; they also have the 11th reserved for "executive level," and that's where the breakfest and evening lounge is located. No problem getting access (though you have be be quick with the elevator card-key to hit the "11" before the doors close and the elevator goes by the 11th!). Room was very nice, anthough I wouldn't place it in the Premium catagory.

cblaisd Apr 17, 2001 10:37 pm

Which would you recommend -- Hilton Carlsbad Beach or Doubletree Suites Dana Point

Have done a little searching, but didn't find alot. So.... For a 4 night vacation for my spouse and I, and hoping to use HHonors points, which would you recommend: The Hilton Carlsbad Beach or the Doubletree Suites at Dana Point?

Mostly wanting a place to relax, a little shopping perhaps, some beach time. Any compliments or caveats? TIA

ROADRUNNER Apr 17, 2001 10:53 pm

Carlsbad would be a good choice. More restaurants, more beachs, more housing developements to check out. Take a Coaster train to San Diego for the day and stops in downtown. Better climate. Just a few things.

FrAAmer Apr 18, 2001 9:31 pm

The Carlsbad property is pretty new and looks great (from the outside) nice architecture and landscaping. There is some major roadwork going on infront of the property and the hotel faces the coast highway and has interstate 5 behind, so I don't know how quiet it would be to sit at their pool, but... Carlsbad is quaint and had a few good restaurants, especially the Coyote Cafe and Neimans. It is near enough to Del Mar where there are some even better restaurants (especially Pacifica Del Mar and Cafe Del Mar, and the dining room at the Inn at L'Auberge) and much better shopping. There is a great stretch of beach nearby in Carlsbad where there is a sea wall and a great walk. Can't walk to much from the hotel but it is a short car ride to almost everything. Del Mar has great beaches, La Jolla isn't too far either and the coaster to San Diego is a great idea where there are even more restaurants and a major shopping area as well.

Dana Point has a lot going for it as well and it is close to Laguna where there are great art galleries and restaurants, though I don't know the area where the hotel is. There is a good Italian restaurant called Luchia's in Dana Point and Five Feet is in Laguna.

I LOVE San Diego!

[This message has been edited by FrAAmer (edited 04-18-2001).]

ROADRUNNER Apr 19, 2001 2:12 am

On further thinking about a beautiful quiet place to chill out in a HHilton, there is the Torrey Pines Hilton north of downtown San diego. Nice green grounds with the best climate in the U.S. Many restaurants, great beaches, coves, real estate, cliffs, fresh air, close to galleries, shopping, and the best place to live in the country. It probably is a better choice then Carlsbad, etc. Close to the airport, cruise terminals, trolleys to Mexico, Birch Aquarium, and the Quail Botanical gardens in Encinitas. As well as the Scripps Medical Center, and hospital if you get sick. It is next door to the hotel. These beds have the best view of the ocean.

Carlsbad is closer to the avocado groves!

[This message has been edited by ROADRUNNER (edited 04-21-2001).]

JayBrian Apr 19, 2001 9:56 am

RoadRunner, you forgot to mention the Wild Animal Park and Black's Beach. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Jay