Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 1:22 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Mission Valley property is near a trolley stop - very useful if you want to go to the Gaslamp district / Petco Park / Convention Center / Qualcomm Stadium without having to deal with parking (or driving after having a few too many)
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Is street parking easy to come buy at the Double Tree Hazard Center / Mission Valley ?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by poser
Is street parking easy to come buy at the Double Tree Hazard Center / Mission Valley ?
Well, when we stayed there a few weeks ago on a weekend (Friday, May 31 - Sunday, June 2), I did see the street parking across from the hotel:

If you look at the overhead imagery from Google Maps, there appears to be space for probably 20+ cars (hotel circled in red, spaces in blue) (click for larger image):

My problem is that I didn't get over to the other side of the street or next to the Hazard Center to see what the posted signs say. The other options for free parking appear to be the Food 4 Less as well as the Carl's Jr/med centers/office buildings if you're willing to walk and chance those properties enforcement policies.

Given that I was with my family and dealing with the do si do of looking for on-street or free parking was out of the question, I can't tell you which option would work best. You're probably competing with both the hotel staff as well as Hazard Center workers who drive in for those spaces as well as anyone who decides to drive to the trolley stop. Other posters to this hotel's thread seem to show that they didn't have a problem finding street parking but your mileage will likely vary depending on a) how often you plan to use your car vs. the trolley (which will run you $5/day for each day pass you need to purchase), b) when you arrive @ the hotel and c) how much effort you are willing to invest in managing the status of your car.

Good luck and let us know what works - or doesn't.

David
Old Jun 15, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
You do not want to park in a Food 4 Less parking lot under any circumstances but if you feel like rolling the dice, if it is a busy 24 hour store, maybe nobody will notice you are not an employee and parked there for a while. Two hour parking limit signs are posted as a matter of company policy at those stores. Typically if they close at a certain time, a parking lot sweep will be done after and unknown cars at that time slated for towing.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Ever make the trip to SD? How did things work out?

David
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:47 pm

Thanks for the input/help
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:07 pm

Kinda nervous about parking at Hazard center... Anyone stay at HI in Kearny Mesa ? I stayed at the one in Del Mar before and found it really nice, but around nothing..
Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:27 am

my family stayed at kearny mesa many years ago when took a few days to go to the wild animal park, zoo, and maybe 1-2 other places in the san diego area. the hotel itself was nice enough (standard hampton), but the surroundings are very suburban. judging by the locals, they seemed to view the nearby souplantation as a fine dining establishment.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 3:16 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by jimnyo
we just returned from a week at this homewood suites near point loma. i haven't had a chance to post on tripadvisor, but i highly recommend it. it's quiet in the sense that it's not a huge resort like the hilton mission bay. there were hardly any people in the pool when we used it. however, like many hotels, if you have the unfortunate luck to have kids upstairs jumping at all hours (like we did), you will be smart to bring earplugs, a noise machine or keep the bathroom fan on all night. but other than that, it's AWESOME. here's why:
1. kitchen w/full fridge, microwave, stovetop and dishwasher.
2. free breakfast AND dinner (dinner only mon-thurs) w/alcohol. LOL.
3. pool and outdoor grills. free wi-fi
4. location: right on water of harbor channel with a walking path alongside and a huge park and playground within walking distance. also within walking distance, "liberty station" which is a shopping district w/great restaurants, ace hardware (to pick up bonfire wood) vons and trader joe's!!!
5. attractions: easy drive to sea world (10 mins? and not in traffic!), downtown, old town, ocean beach. but it feels worlds away b/c you're not in the middle of all this traffic.

p.s. the employees were VERY nice about helping us move to another room b/c of the annoying kids upstairs. they even moved our luggage for us while we were out for the day!
This is great to read ... we have an upcoming 3-night stay here next month.

Thank you for posting!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 3:17 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
There is a naval ship (destroyer USS Recruit) literally in the hotel's parking lot at Homewood Suites Liberty Station!!!

More photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7634753329957/

Old Sep 8, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Honors
Hi. We are Diamond hilton honors members and are planning a week at the la jolla hilton.

Does this property have an executive lounge?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by fhfoote
Hi. We are Diamond hilton honors members and are planning a week at the la jolla hilton.

Does this property have an executive lounge?
No. And breakfast coupon was only good for cold breakfast. You will need to pay $5 to upgrade to full buffet. The selection for the full buffet is not that great either. Unless you are really hungry for a buffet, it is actually better to order from the breakfast menu. The coupon can be used toward the menu for about $15.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:45 pm

I have stayed at:

Hampton Inn San Diego / Del Mar
Hampton Inn Kearny Mesa
Hampton Inn San Diego / Poway

Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo

Double Tree San Diego / Del Mar
Double Tree Mission Valley/Hazard Center

Hilton Mission Valley
Hilton Bayfront
Hilton Airport/Harbor Island

Homewood Suites San Diego/Del Mar

Bayfront is by far the best property I have stayed at.. The rooms are nice and clean and friend staff.

Kearny Mesa is very dated and dark.. very little natural light in the room!

The Hampton Inn in Del Mar is amazing.. if you are not looking for a full survive hotel. On the weekends you can usually get a room for $79 and its not really in Del Mar so its a lot closer than one would think. My in-laws live in PB/Crown Point and we can get door to door in 15 or so minutes.

Double Tree Mission Valley is our second favorite property.. Always get upgraded to balcony rooms and a central location.

If you have any question about any specific property, feel free to ask.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Need input on choosing for our trip this June. A short stop in SD before we head up the coast. Currently booked at HW Liberty Station but read a few reviews that make it sound very crowded/noisy. Traveling with my 11 yo daughter and 72 yo mother so we do need at least 2 beds, prefer a suite style like ES so we can have some space. Trying to figure out the best choice for our plans.

We are arriving after 10pm on a Tuesday and are not familiar with the area. We will have a car. Meeting family (who are also visiting but not traveling with us) at the Zoo Wednesday morning. Hoping to do some sight seeing in the afternoon. Sunset over the bay, casual dinner with our family... Thursday Legoland probably in the morning then afternoon at the beach - we plan to go to La Jolla and stay in that area through dinner. Friday going to check out do some more beach or sight seeing and head to Santa Monica before afternoon rush hour sets in.

What area should we stay in? Seriously considering ES La Jolla as it is closer to our Thursday plans and will help also with our budget to have bfast included but it just doesn't have a vacation feel to it (based on the pics). Should we go for the resort in Carlsbad or is that too much back and forth driving? Should we stick with the airport/bay area? I'm totally unfamiliar with SD and it seems so spread out without one specific best area to be in. Please help!

TIA
Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Need input on choosing for our trip this June. A short stop in SD before we head up the coast. Currently booked at HW Liberty Station but read a few reviews that make it sound very crowded/noisy. Traveling with my 11 yo daughter and 72 yo mother so we do need at least 2 beds, prefer a suite style like ES so we can have some space. Trying to figure out the best choice for our plans.
I've stayed at the Liberty Station Homewood and never experienced any noise issues. You'll occasionally hear planes but it's not too bad. They have a shuttle that runs to ~11p, IIRC and parking is free. If you're going to the Zoo the next day, I'd stay there then move up the coast.

There's also the Hampton Inn Sea World which is fairly nice but the area can be a little sketchy and intimidating for a first time visitor. The ES downtown is a nice place too. Parking isn't free, but you are right around where all the tour boats leave from. It was a decent place when I stayed there in 2012.

The Carlsbad Hilton to Legoland is all of ~10 minutes (none of it freeway either). I've never stayed at the ES La Jolla or the Hilton Resort up north, so I'm not sure about the properties themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.