Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near San Diego, California, USA {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
I've stayed at the Liberty Station Homewood and never experienced any noise issues. You'll occasionally hear planes but it's not too bad. They have a shuttle that runs to ~11p, IIRC and parking is free. If you're going to the Zoo the next day, I'd stay there then move up the coast.

There's also the Hampton Inn Sea World which is fairly nice but the area can be a little sketchy and intimidating for a first time visitor. The ES downtown is a nice place too. Parking isn't free, but you are right around where all the tour boats leave from. It was a decent place when I stayed there in 2012.

The Carlsbad Hilton to Legoland is all of ~10 minutes (none of it freeway either). I've never stayed at the ES La Jolla or the Hilton Resort up north, so I'm not sure about the properties themselves.
I pretty much agree with tusphotog on this. I would probably give the slight edge to
the Embassy as a base for exploring the bay and downtown area of the city. It can get a
bit more crowded than the Homewood but is walking distance to Seaport Village, plenty
of dining and shopping, and the airport is still close by. There is also a light rail stop
around the corner from the hotel which might come in handy. For the other half of
your trip I would consider the Homewood Suites Carlsbad North. The hotel is across
from the Carlsbad airport but a short drive to Legoland and beaches. They offer a free
shuttle within 5 miles which includes Legoland .Costco and Trader Joe's are close by if
you need to buy a few items. The evening trip down to La Jolla from there is about a 20
minute drive. Otherwise, the ES La Jolla is near a shopping mall but the property is a bit
dated and there's not much else in the immediate area.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Thank you for the info. We were hoping to stay put while in SD because we have 4 other stops in 10 days but I think the first night by the airport and zoo is the way to go then we can head to La Jolla or Carlsbad.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:47 pm

Decided to go with the DT Hotel Circle for our first night. Late arrival and we'll be up and out early to the zoo so went with the cheaper option. Booked the HGI in Carlsbad for the next 2 nights. Weird that the HGI is more money (309/249) but fewer points (40K/60K) than the new Hilton Carlsbad Resort?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by SquarePeg
Decided to go with the DT Hotel Circle for our first night. Late arrival and we'll be up and out early to the zoo so went with the cheaper option. Booked the HGI in Carlsbad for the next 2 nights. Weird that the HGI is more money (309/249) but fewer points (40K/60K) than the new Hilton Carlsbad Resort?
Beware the DT parking garage. One of the most treacherous places I've ever driven.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:22 pm

LOL - thanks for the heads up. I learned to pahk the cah here in Boston. There is no spot too small and no lane too narrow!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:23 am

If you drive in Boston, the traffic in San Diego won't seem like much, I suppose, but it's good to keep in mind that any rush hour traffic along the coast will be very busy. And the Carlsbad area is often a bottleneck along the 5. Smart to stay close to your destination.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by SquarePeg
The HGI Carlsbad is literally right across from the beach. It is a beautiful hotel. A fantastic location.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by poser
I have stayed at:

Hampton Inn San Diego / Del Mar
Hampton Inn Kearny Mesa
Hampton Inn San Diego / Poway

Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo

Double Tree San Diego / Del Mar
Double Tree Mission Valley/Hazard Center

Hilton Mission Valley
Hilton Bayfront
Hilton Airport/Harbor Island

Homewood Suites San Diego/Del Mar

Bayfront is by far the best property I have stayed at.. The rooms are nice and clean and friend staff.

Kearny Mesa is very dated and dark.. very little natural light in the room!

The Hampton Inn in Del Mar is amazing.. if you are not looking for a full survive hotel. On the weekends you can usually get a room for $79 and its not really in Del Mar so its a lot closer than one would think. My in-laws live in PB/Crown Point and we can get door to door in 15 or so minutes.

Double Tree Mission Valley is our second favorite property.. Always get upgraded to balcony rooms and a central location.

If you have any question about any specific property, feel free to ask.
I have to agree with the Bayfront. It's become my go to place for most of my stays in San Diego. Even before I signed up for HHonors, I stayed at this location several times and I would get an upgrade.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
current options for 3 nights:

DT Downtown - $139
DT Mission Valley -40k
DT MV Hotel Circle - $139
Hilton MV - $139
Hampton Inn Downtown - $139

Friend of ours lives along the green line in MV. We're at least going to do the zoo and a game at Petco.

DT Mission Valley would be the best choice but I dunno if it's worth 40k a night.

Then again, I have the points and have to spend them SOME time

Last edited by mrredskin; Apr 28, 2014 at 9:57 am
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
We are visiting for a short holiday from the UK: 6 nights in october for a bit of sunshine. We would like the possibility to do a bit of self catering and the ability to sit outside. The Homewood suites in del mar looks nice but is it a good choice for a holiday??? Tx
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:55 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simonsmith
We are visiting for a short holiday from the UK: 6 nights in october for a bit of sunshine. We would like the possibility to do a bit of self catering and the ability to sit outside. The Homewood suites in del mar looks nice but is it a good choice for a holiday??? Tx
It is in an office location in Torrey Hills, close to freeway and not to far to Torrey Pines and Del Mar beaches. Have you considered the Liberty Station HS? It is in a good location on the water close to downtown and very walkable.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:11 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by simonsmith
Stayed here for 3 nights on our recent trip about 2 weeks ago based on trip reports on Tripadvisor. However we were disappointed with the hotel. Although it is in a reasonable location close to the I5 freeway and parking is free, we thought the rooms were dated and in need of refurbishment. There were no balconies so the only place to sit outside was at the small outdoor pool which did not have many sun beds. Although rates include breakfast and weekday managers reception, we thought the choice was very limited and poor quality. One morning, there was something called sausage gravy, which looked like porridge. Staff were helpful and friendly, but they were at all the other hotels we stayed at. On previous visits, we have stayed at the Doubletree Mission Valley and Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa and much preferred those hotels.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
Need some helping in selecting a hotel in San Diego for 10/17 - 10/20

Not looking for family/kid friend, but rather an ideal location for sight seeing, walking, nice pool, touristy area, etc.

Ideally wanted something that has a water view

Read through this thread, the Bayfront was recommended but it's sold out.
There's a Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa that sounds nice, but there's many horrible reviews.

Can someone give me a suggestion? Prefer "newer" style hotels
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:16 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by StangGT909
Need some helping in selecting a hotel in San Diego for 10/17 - 10/20

Not looking for family/kid friend, but rather an ideal location for sight seeing, walking, nice pool, touristy area, etc.

Ideally wanted something that has a water view

Read through this thread, the Bayfront was recommended but it's sold out.
There's a Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa that sounds nice, but there's many horrible reviews.

Can someone give me a suggestion? Prefer "newer" style hotels
The DT downtown is reasonably inexpensive and convenient to the trolley and Lil Italy places to eat. Beware of the DT breakfast service it is one of the worst in the US.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
The DT downtown is reasonably inexpensive and convenient to the trolley and Lil Italy places to eat. Beware of the DT breakfast service it is one of the worst in the US.
I stay at that property fairly often, and breakfast is fine - no different than many other similar properties, and I've never had a service problem. Plus, they put the DT choc chip cookies on a table in the lobby and will give you and/or your kid as many as you want. I've also stayed numerous times at the SD resort property and have never had an issue. Nice pool area for kids, beach, close to Sea World. No trolley access, but most of your other boxes are checked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.