Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near New York (city), USA {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near New York (city), USA {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Firewind
HGI Times Square. Full (un-French) breakfast buffet in the French bistro next door. Rooms with street or light well view.
Yeah, agreed that the breakfast at Pigalle is quite good. And while this one has the TS name, it's well out of the chaos. Always been happy with the HGIs.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Firewind
HGI Times Square. Full (un-French) breakfast buffet in the French bistro next door. Rooms with street or light well view.
Do they still have the menu option? I haven't stayed there in about five years but they used to have a good menu to choose from. I thought I read that they went to a standard HGI breakfast buffet a few years ago.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Do they still have the menu option? I haven't stayed there in about five years but they used to have a good menu to choose from. I thought I read that they went to a standard HGI breakfast buffet a few years ago.
I've only been aware of the buffet.
Old May 7, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by BJfly
To all, yes, really appreciate all the input. The stay will be with a free night certificate, so price differential between the properties is a moot point. And I don't really care where in the city I stay because we have slowly been exploring different neighborhoods, so we would just explore around the neighborhood of which ever hotel is eventually selected. But I totally agree that if price were a criteria, then the math wouldn't support this criteria, and if I had an actual agenda in the city, then location would trump (no politics intended) all.

Thank you all again.

BJFly
As a former NYC resident I disagree. For me no hotel breakfast is worth putting up with throngs of tourists the minute you walk out the door like you would at the Hilton or Doubletree Times Square.

Eggs are eggs, but the opportunity to be in a great area like Soho or Chelsea or having an amazing view like Millenium Hilton offers or staying at a hotel with the history of the Waldorf-Astoria shouldn't be discounted.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Looking to burn some points on a 5-night reward leisure stay in NYC during mid-late September. First time visitor and looking to stay in Manhattan.

Looking for recommendations on a property with these priorities:
  1. Renovated/modern rooms
  2. Good location for most touristic haunts (I'm aware of what is said abt Times Square)
  3. Decent breakfast

Exec lounge isn't really a priority (I think Hilton Midtown has one, but the rooms look tired nonetheless), but would be nice to have I guess.

I don't really expect much of a diamond upgrade, given what is said about elite recognition in the States.

I was thinking perhaps the Homewood Suites Midtown Times Square South? [scrap that - forgot brekky isn't an HHonors benefit]

Last edited by OriginalName; Jul 28, 2016 at 8:19 am
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by OriginalName
Looking to burn some points on a 5-night reward leisure stay in NYC during mid-late September. First time visitor and looking to stay in Manhattan.

Looking for recommendations on a property with these priorities:
  1. Renovated/modern rooms
  2. Good location for most touristic haunts (I'm aware of what is said abt Times Square)
  3. Decent breakfast

Exec lounge isn't really a priority (I think Hilton Midtown has one, but the rooms look tired nonetheless), but would be nice to have I guess.

I don't really expect much of a diamond upgrade, given what is said about elite recognition in the States.

I was thinking perhaps the Homewood Suites Midtown Times Square South?
Midtown Hilton is only NYC property with a lounge and it's one of my lease favorite properties in NYC. I'd avoid it.

If you are a first time visitor you might enjoy being in times square. If you can get a good points redemption I'd go for DT times Square. They are all suites, right in the middle of everything and the breakfast is my favorite of any NYC Hilton.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:03 am

The Doubletree Times Square is perfect location. You should be upgraded to a bigger suite with a terrific view. We are from LI, NY and this is our favorite Hilton property in the city.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Thanks all! Booked the DT. Fingers crossed.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:58 pm

Hilton Hotels at NYC

Hi Folks,
Planning a trip to NYC in October. I am a Hilton Honor Diamond VIP Member and have got enough HH points and will like to redeem them at a Hilton property in NYC during my stay.

I'll mostly be doing the usual touristic stuffs like visiting Empire State Bldg, Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Times Square etc. I'll prefer to stay in Manhattan, but obviously that will cost me more points.

Is it really worth staying in Manhattan/Times Square? If yes, which hotel will you recommend and why? What are my alternate options? Will it be better if I stay away from Manhattan (but not as far as NJ or Long Island) and have Manhattan view instead? I won't have a car during my stay in NYC as I don't really need one. Don't want to additionally pay for parking.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

/D
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Read through this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...usa-us-ny.html.

No, it's not worth staying in Times Square. It's noisy and crowded. Stay somewhere else, there are tons of Hilton properties in Manhattan. You can also stay over in Queens for fewer points, but you're training time on the subway for fewer points.

The subway + Uber in NYC will get you anywhere you need to get easily.

Neil
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Use points for expensive weekday stays. Last minute bookings for weekend stays can be quite cheap (I recall last year DoubleTree Financial district was $79 +tax for a Sunday night in late July). $99/nt for some of the Hilton properties during the weekend can also be found if booking last minute.

Good luck.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by missamo80
Read through this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...usa-us-ny.html.

No, it's not worth staying in Times Square. It's noisy and crowded. Stay somewhere else, there are tons of Hilton properties in Manhattan. You can also stay over in Queens for fewer points, but you're training time on the subway for fewer points.

The subway + Uber in NYC will get you anywhere you need to get easily.

Neil
Thanks for the response. Can you suggest one of the Hilton properties in Manhattan that is away from Times Square but still has good views of the NYC skyline, easy access to everywhere and nice restaurants nearby? Anything from personal experience will be preferable.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Use points for expensive weekday stays. Last minute bookings for weekend stays can be quite cheap (I recall last year DoubleTree Financial district was $79 +tax for a Sunday night in late July). $99/nt for some of the Hilton properties during the weekend can also be found if booking last minute.

Good luck.
I can only go in a particular week in October during my daughter's fall break and the prices are pretty high that week. I doubt it'll drop over to $$ from $$$ (over $300) all of a sudden. If you can recommend a hotel from your personal experience, that will be great. Any other tips on NYC will be appreciated. It's been 16 years since I've been there.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by dzongrila
Thanks for the response. Can you suggest one of the Hilton properties in Manhattan that is away from Times Square but still has good views of the NYC skyline, easy access to everywhere and nice restaurants nearby? Anything from personal experience will be preferable.
Easy access is pretty easy, as long as you use the subway. Generally speaking you're not going to be more than 3 blocks or so from a subway station. That said, if you are staying near the B Train but you want to go to places along the E or 3 Trains, you may need to transfer once or twice. If you use MTA's website to view their subway map, along with another map showing the hotels you're looking at, you can get a general idea if it'll work for you.

That said, from personal experience, it doesn't always work out. I've stayed near a station that would be an easy train ride to something I wanted to do. Except, the train wasn't operating that weekend due to construction work. The alternative was at least 2 trains, with one of them heading in the wrong direction, adding significant time to that trip!

It also depends on the view you desire. I've stayed at the Hilton Times Square...one side of the building gives you views of Times Square; the other side gives you views of the Empire State Building & Lower Manhattan.

Nearly every hotel will give you views of Manhattan...but you'll also need a room high enough for those views, or on the side of the building that gives you the views you want, which may not be the cheapest room in terms of either dollars or points.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dzongrila
Hilton Millenium New York. Nice restaurants nearby is really not worth worrying about because nearly all of Manhattan is "nearby" with subway + uber access.

Neil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.