Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in England and elsewhere in United Kingdom {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in England and elsewhere in United Kingdom {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2003, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Blue forever!
Very interesting! But they are not listed on the London list yet, nor are they on the London list of biddingfortravel.com/ [U.S.]. I have been trying to get the Heathrow Hilton. As for upgrages, we stayed at the Hilton Green Park for a week, paying full price through Hilton. Not only did they not upgrade us but they put us [senior citizens] in a crazy room with 4 steps up from the entrance and the bathroom. I thought that we were going to break our necks in the dark so we had to leave the bathroom light on all night, costing them extra money, ha, ha. The front desk people showed little interest in their jobs and the food in the bar was expensive, bad and SLOW in preparation. Again, it's location, location, location.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 5:18 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tazmania:
But dont expect any upgrades.</font>
After reading comments about the Langham's treatment of Gold and Diamonds I wrote to HHonors asking whether individual hotels had the right to pick and choose what benefits they honoured. This is the reply:-

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Thank you for your e-mail. You are correct in saying that participating Hilton HHonors hotels cannot simply opt out of certain benefits offered by the programme.
Many of our hotels, especially in Europe are run through a franchise facility, therefore the Langham Hilton is not alone in that respect. This doesn't normally cause us difficulties, therefore it is unclear as to why this would be reason enough not to provide Hilton HHonors amenities.

Finally, if any Hilton HHonors hotel refused to offer our Gold and Diamond VIP members their benefits, we would be aware of and quickly rectify it. We have had no reports of any such problem at the Langham Hilton. lt is a popular hotel and from time to time upgraded accomodations will not be available and this is the only reason why this particular benefit would not be offered.</font>
Old Aug 4, 2003, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know I definately wrote in after the Langham treated me like garbage and their hotel was quite empty at the time.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 5:10 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Sort of OT, but I have been staying at the Holiday Inn LHR Junction 4 on Priceline stays for only $40 USD. I stayed last week and it is a great hotel. 27 GBP is a bargain by any standard nevermind LHR.

Old Aug 15, 2003, 12:25 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Just back from my PL stay at the Langham. At check-in I gave my Diamond VIP card to the "trainee". After a minute or so she handed me my room keycard. I asked if she had upgraded me but the blank look she gave me suggested not. I said that as a Diamond I was entitled to s space available upgrade to the Exec level. She then went and spoke to her colleague and although they were out of earshot I saw the colleague shacking her head. The colleague came across and told me it was not their policy to upgrade.....this Hilton is different for every other Hilton......only manged by Hilton.....blah, blah, blah. She then tried to use the excuse that they didn't have an Executive level. I said I knew thay did but she then tried to say said it was a Concierge level and only available to those who paid for it. I basically told her that they were playing with words and that I didn't care what they called.

I decided I was not going to argue with her and demanded to see the Duty Manager. At this point my girlfriend sensed the forthcoming storm and made herself scarce!

After a few minutes the DM arrived. All that the desk clerk had said to her on the phone was "a Diamond member wished to speak to her". She asked what the problem was and I told her that I was unhappy about them not honouring the HHonors benefits. She gave me the same spiel as before - managed by Hilton, etc, etc. I stopped her immediatley and told her about the email I had sent Hilton and the reply I received. Unfortunatley I hadn't printed it off to bring with me. Although it was rather undignified arguing in the reception of the hotel I was determined to stand my ground. At first she conceed to a room upgrade and Continental breakfast in the room. I was happy to accept but then she muttered something and went behind the reception desk. After a few minutes of typing in to the computer she announced that as the Concierge level was quiet during our stay we would get access to the lounge.

The room we were given was very nice and at the front of the hotel. We didn't use the lounge on the first night but had breakfast both mornings and had a couple of drinks the second night.

At the end of the day I can't complain too much as I was on a very cheap PL rate but it is very undignified to have to argue in a hotle lobby to get clearly stated benefits. I also have some sympathy for the staff as they are no doubt following orders from on high.

I'll follow this up with Hilton International and HHonors HQ in Dallas. Hoefully they will bring the Langham in to line. It is a fantastic hotel but spoiled by its attitude to elites.

------------------
Gaza's oneworld & Star Alliance Round the World Information Pages - www.rtw-info.co.uk
Old Aug 15, 2003, 1:29 am

A lot of trouble. I hope you remember HHonors Rule 11:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">11. No point or stay credit or airline frequent flyer mileage credit will be awarded for complimentary or barter rooms, contracted airline crew rooms, wholesale/tour operator packages, stays on NET Group, Series Group, IT Group, or Entertainment or Encore rates, or stays using airline percent-off award certificates, or stays booked via Priceline.com, Hotwire.com or similar booking channels where the hotel brand is unknown at time of purchase.</font>
Old Aug 15, 2003, 9:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tazmania:
A lot of trouble. I hope you remember HHonors Rule 11:

11. No point or stay credit or airline frequent flyer mileage credit will be awarded for complimentary or barter rooms, contracted airline crew rooms, wholesale/tour operator packages, stays on NET Group, Series Group, IT Group, or Entertainment or Encore rates, or stays using airline percent-off award certificates, or stays booked via Priceline.com, Hotwire.com or similar booking channels where the hotel brand is unknown at time of purchase.</font>

Rule 11 applies to credtis for stays and double dip not for member benefits. I have always been given upgrades/breakfast etc with award rooms.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 9:14 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
UK rates and availabilty

Seems september 1st has been a watershed as most hotels are rack rate only on hilton.com and very limited availabilty weekdays.

I don't remember last year been this bad .. how long is this likely to last?
Old Sep 2, 2003, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Hopefully this isn't part of Hilton International's strategy to maintan income/revenue by testing how inelastic demand for their product is?
Old Sep 2, 2003, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
Hopefully this isn't part of Hilton International's strategy to maintan income/revenue by testing how inelastic demand for their product is? </font>
Well I for one have switched to the Crown Plaza for tomorrow night .. but all the UK major chains seen to have co-ordinated 1st Sept as the time to switch back to rack/corporate rate offers only.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
Free breakfasts in UK Hiltons

Has anyone ever been given free breakfast coupons at check-in in UK Hiltons? I am a gold vip card holder and have never been offered any - also do other gold vip card holders get room upgrades (in the uk) regularly? I dont seem to get many - I dont think they take the gold HHonors perks to seriously in the UK, how is it for diamond card holders?
Old Sep 14, 2003, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I don't use so many Hiltons in the UK, but my limited experience does not give much optimism.

At both Leeds Garforth and the NEC Metropole last year, I had to educate the front desk staff and get them to speak to HHonors in Glasgow to check what I was saying. At least, they refunded the breakfast charge.

Unless you enjoy confrontation, you may want to stay somewhere else ...

Of course, some rates include b+b, but I'm not referring to those.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I have experienced, upon discussion w/desk at checkin (when I was a gold), that there would be a credit on the bill for breakfast.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH Diamond
Puckrup Hall (Tewkesbury) gave Diamond nice room, coupon for two free drinks at bar (no executive lounge), breakfast was included in rate booked.

Paddington and Metropole (London) have executive lounges and continental breakfast therein. If rate includes full English breakfast, taken in dining room.

Green Park and Mews (also London) have no executive lounge - breakfast in dining room.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please follow the very sound advice of UpgradeMe. Also read, then printout and carry one or more copies (the extra ones are to be left with the noncomplying hotel HH managers ) of the HH T&C. I personally have "educated" and left copies of the T&C with at more than 6 UK Hiltons and Conrads in the past years and over 12-14 copies in the USA. It not only helps you but the next nice deservings HH VIP guests.

MisterNice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.