Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in England and elsewhere in United Kingdom {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in England and elsewhere in United Kingdom {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2004, 1:53 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Thanks for the info.

Now, anyone have any knowledge about Southampton, Brighton Metropole and/or Dartford Bridge?

I stayed in the Dartford Bridge property a couple of years ago when I had no HH status (and before I found FT !). It's decent enough, nothing special although I arrived at 9.30pm and checked out at 7am so didn't do much.

It is next to the M25 just south of the Thames Dartford Bridge Crossing. It is very much there for business customers travelling in and around the London Perimeter and South East England.

It is certainly not recommended for visiting Central London but if it's just a temporary base and your in a car it's fine.

Enjoy the world's largest circular car park, aka the M25
Old Aug 17, 2004, 3:36 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
I stayed at the Brighton Metropole about two years ago, so I can't address any recent renovation. The rooms were pretty plain, and seemed in need of renovation. As a gold, I enquired whether my breakfast was included, and I was told no. I didn't press it.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sosafan
I stayed at the Brighton Metropole about two years ago, so I can't address any recent renovation. The rooms were pretty plain, and seemed in need of renovation. As a gold, I enquired whether my breakfast was included, and I was told no. I didn't press it.
Thanks SosaFan!

I think that the Brighton Metropole is out of the running in any event as they will not guarantee me a N/S room!

So, only one left!!

Southampton Hilton, anyone??

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2004, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Thanks SosaFan!

I think that the Brighton Metropole is out of the running in any event as they will not guarantee me a N/S room!

So, only one left!!

Southampton Hilton, anyone??

Thanks!
I would avoid the Hilton Dartford Bridge like the proverbial plague, it is an awful hotel in a terrible location (unless you are into lorry spotting) and has possibly the worst staff of any Hilton in the UK (quite a feat actually, since there is stiff competition for that particular title).

I stayed one night there and was so annoyed at the state of the place and the service I pulled my company out of £000's of business. I absolutely refuse to use UK Hiltons for corporate bookings (with multiple delegates) without visiting them first, since I find them so unreliable.

The Hilton in Southampton is however in my experience one of the better UK Hiltons. It has no Exec Floor (par for the course in the UK) and the rooms are quite small, but the plaza rooms tend to be OK, and the staff tends to be friendly and competent. It is a very easy hotel to miss if driving however leading to several orbits of a roundabout (and that is from someone who has stayed there a few times).
Old Sep 2, 2004, 4:26 am

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
Hiltons in UK to expensive

Well how things change, during the dot com boom i stayed at hiltons exclusivley more or less. Now though, I have to deal with a company policy of £80 ($140ish). I have 1 night bookings in bristol, derby and huddersfield coming up, and a 3 nighter in Edinburgh, and cant do anything, I cant go above policy, any suggestions - would like to keep going to H, but travel lodge is the only option i see.

Jon
Old Sep 2, 2004, 5:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jongar
Well how things change, during the dot com boom i stayed at hiltons exclusivley more or less. Now though, I have to deal with a company policy of £80 ($140ish). I have 1 night bookings in bristol, derby and huddersfield coming up, and a 3 nighter in Edinburgh, and cant do anything, I cant go above policy, any suggestions - would like to keep going to H, but travel lodge is the only option i see.

Jon
Ichotelsgroup.com will still get you points and miles (read: Priority Club), albeit not with Hilton.

I have noticed that Hilton Hotels in the UK have had higher prices this year (and much higher). The deals are just not there.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 5:46 am

Programs: IHG RA - PC Plat - SPG Plat - Hilton Diamond - Sixt Plat
I agree 100% with GUWonder!!!
I am staying something like 100-150nights per year in all the Eastern Europe, UK and Ireland and rarely I make it to stay at a Hilton given my company policy of something around 130€ max!!! (I work for an Italian company)
My colleagues who are staying in the States for the same money gets super rooms, super hotels and of course better level in all the hotel programs....
tha's simply not fair to me...but it is real!
We could start a new thread about "What's your company stay budget"?....just to make me feel a bit more frustrated
Old Sep 2, 2004, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by jongar

Jon
I would focus on 'Express By Holiday Inn'. Almost all have been built in the last 3 years so are in good nick. Rarely cost more than £60. You get 500 miles (or PC points - but this is a bad deal on a low room rate) per stay and, from Sep 13, 1,000 bonus miles every third night.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I spent a month in Europe recently at HH rates of approx 99-145 euros. I thought it reasonable considering the executive lounges, wine, nibblies etc accorded Diamonds. If the HH price was 150+ euros or more I stayed elsewhere. I am currently booking another trip and will booked HH if the rates are 180 euros or less (Sept is a busy month per the european plants). For example, I booked at bestwestern.com for 79 euros as the nice nearby Hilton was 235 euros. The BW includes a full breakfast also.

HH rates are definately up vs the last couple of years and fewer bargains are out there.

MisterNice
Old Sep 5, 2004, 5:16 am
In Memoriam

Price versus Value

Too many other good choices. I don't have much luck with their locations and I am not going to drive to stay at a substandard property for more money.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 6:10 am

Programs: A3-G
I agree: Hiltons are too expensive for a stay in uk.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
Welcome to the UK, everything is more expensive...this is rip off Britain.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Alinlondon
Welcome to the UK, everything is more expensive...this is rip off Britain.
Just FYI, the OP lives in London.

....You were saying?

(Moral: Never ASSUME!)
Old Sep 5, 2004, 11:31 pm
Suspended

thats why this yr for the 1st time Ive been doing Priceline stays. Been able to pick up some really nice Holiday Inns for about 1/3 the price of a Hilton. Then again sometimes you can pick up a Hil also on PL.
Pts forget about them, not worth it at the rates over in Europe. This yr i'll be retaining my HH Diamond & SPG Plat solely based on paid stays in the US alone. then again I just might keep it as is, PL for Europe and HH/SPG for the US
Old Sep 6, 2004, 1:48 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
I stayed at HH in UK for ~90 GBP

I'm just back from a 5 week trip to UK on business.
Unfortunately I couldn't stay at HH the whole time (else I'd be WAY past gold by now).
But I did stay at H Paddington, Green Park, Edinburgh, and York.

York was the most expensive at over a 120 GBP/night (still not sure why??? I mean it's an okay hotel and the location is good, but why more expensive than London hotels?).

But the Green Park was 89 GBP and Paddington was 90.

I used hilton.com to book on-line and prepay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.