Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Singapore {SGP} (no longer Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Singapore {SGP} (no longer Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2004, 9:58 am

Merci francophile.

I think Hilton is a good option because we don't really care about the comfort as long as there is a "minimum syndical", and I guess Hilton even if not among the best hotels in Singapore is not that bad - and it's only $70. We'll prefer having place where the action is and walking out to restaurants etc . We only stay one day each time and won't really have time to wander around hotels and rooms.

Thanks for your input on Mandarin Oriental, at least this is an option that's "out" for now.

Also, Conrad is probably nice but I don't want to take a cab just to go out for diner if I can just walk a little bit on a busy street and find a nice restaurant. Yes, I want to see busy street and lots of people , that's what I expect from Singapore

Thanks for your input. If any suggestion for a hotel on Orchard road other than Hilton, less than $100/110, I'd be glad to hear it ?

Also, any good restaurant for diner and lunch ? ...
Old May 11, 2004, 10:05 am

CARREFOUR .. well... let's see...now that's important

The subway thing seems fun - yes, I like subways ... i'm going to check the Conrad website and see what they say and if it's way more expensive or not ...
Old May 11, 2004, 10:07 am

Apparently I could stay at Raffles Plaza for around $70/80 a night using my "boarding privilege" (I'm flying on SQ). Any recommendation vs. Conrad ?
Old May 11, 2004, 10:13 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by france usa
If any suggestion for a hotel on Orchard road other than Hilton, less than $100/110, I'd be glad to hear it ?

Also, any good restaurant for diner and lunch ? ...
I was going to recommend the ANA hotel down the street, but they seem to have disappeared?!? Also, more like $120-130 for the ANA as I recall...

Here is a map with other hotels in the area.

For dinner, take a walk down Boat Quay (a short taxi ride from Orchard Road, walkable from the Conrad area) and select any of the seafood restaurants. There's a "Steamboat" restaurant roughly across the street from the Hilton that's different from the typical stir-fry Asian food.
Old May 11, 2004, 11:03 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Friends who live in Singapore have all recommended "Chatterbox" in the Meritus Mandarin Hotel in Orchard Road (separate from the Marina Mandarin or The Oriental) for very good, local food -- Singapore Chicken rice, etc...... and is open 24 hours a day. . . . .

I believe there are a couple "kopitiam" around the area which apparently are like Hawker stalls (food courts) like Newton Circus. If you go to the Travel and Dining Forum -- Singapore, there are extensive discussions as to where the best hawker stalls, chili crab, etc are to be found.

Last edited by luxury; May 11, 2004 at 1:17 pm Reason: To clarify "which" Mandarin Hotel referred to
Old May 11, 2004, 11:23 am

I always stayed at the Marina Mandarin ( across the road from the Conrad )when in SIN but last time tried the Conrad instead to get the points. Next time I think I'll be going back to the Mandarin just for the balcony, nothing like having a Tiger in your hand and watching the World go by at 3 in the morning < G >.

I also prefer the location of the Conrad and Mandarin, 10 minutes walk from all the restaurants at the riverside .
Old May 11, 2004, 11:33 am

I don't know if this is the right forum but anyone has had any luck for good rate with Priceline (I just discovered that website by reading a few threads here and there) 5* in SIN ? is it better to try Orchard or Marina ?
Old May 11, 2004, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if this is the right forum but anyone has had any luck for good rate with Priceline (I just discovered that website by reading a few threads here and there) 5* in SIN ? is it better to try Orchard or Marina ?
November, 2003 I 'Pricelined' the Singapore Marriott (5* Orchard Rd.) for $55 (USD) per night. I liked the property quite a bit. It is near the Hilton, on Orchard Road.
Old May 11, 2004, 12:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Merci francophile.

I think Hilton is a good option because we don't really care about the comfort as long as there is a "minimum syndical", and I guess Hilton even if not among the best hotels in Singapore is not that bad - and it's only $70. We'll prefer having place where the action is and walking out to restaurants etc . We only stay one day each time and won't really have time to wander around hotels and rooms.

Thanks for your input on Mandarin Oriental, at least this is an option that's "out" for now.
Je vous en prie.

My post sounded like the Hilton is inferior. In reality, the Singapore Hilton is measurably better than most Hilton properties in the US. Service is also very good here and the beds are quite comfortable.
Old May 11, 2004, 12:22 pm

Moderator,

France USA has posted this topic twice. Please combine them. Thank you.
Old May 11, 2004, 12:25 pm

Moderator,

france usa has posted this topic twice. Please combine them. Thank you.
Old May 11, 2004, 8:54 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
con't combine...but poof, this one's closed!
thanks for the heads up

squeakr
MOD Hilton
Old May 11, 2004, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
No, it's not.
Old May 12, 2004, 10:15 am

Apparently I could stay at Raffles Plaza for around $70/80 a night using my "boarding privilege" (I'm flying on SQ). Any recommendation vs. Conrad ?
conrad is very nice, but is further from the action than the raffles plaza aka swisshotel is. transport is also a tad more inconvenient too. swisshotel is right on top of the mrt station.

if u want to be where it happens, i'd suggest hilton, marriot, mandarin, hyatt.
Old May 12, 2004, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I agree with Saimike. Also, the subway is a longer walk when staying at the Conrad. It's easy to get lost in all the underground shops where the Conrad is and not find the most direct route to the subway. That said, I enjoy the Conrad very much, as you can tell by my previous posts about the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.