Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Singapore {SGP} (no longer Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Singapore {SGP} (no longer Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2005, 10:15 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite , Hilton Honors
Thumbs up You did ask about the Hilton?

Guess I'll just have to put in a vote for the Hilton, despite all the rave reviews for the Conrad.
Stayed at the Hilton regularly years ago, and again last year. Great hotel, great service, and great treatment on the executive floor if you are a GOLD member getting a free upgrade while paying for a regular room.
The complementary drinks and snacks in the evening are very good, as is the breakfast. Everyone knows your name after the first day, and they are all ready to go out of their way to make your stay a happy one. I met lots of regular guests who make the Hilton their Singapore headquarters while travelling in that part of Asia, popping in and out several times /month.
I'll agree with flyinbob that there are two 7-11 on each side of the Hilton (plus the one he must have been standing in front of across the street), but that is no different than any block in Singapore these days. Yes, there is a Starbucks, Burger King, and 2 other coffe chain shops in every block, and the outdoor hawker centres are (sadly) a thing of the past.
I really like the green Orchard Road area, with all the great diversity in shopping and food choices, and I don't see the attraction of staying down in the hot part of town at Suntec City, whick is just a short subway ride away. It's just another giant modern (steel and plastic) shopping mall, with lots of t-shirt shops and (yes indeed) many 7-11 kiosks. Nice fountain though.

Commander Bob
Back at the Hilton Singapore in a couple of weeks.
Old May 29, 2005, 1:03 pm

Programs: SQ Solitaire PPS AA nothing short of 1m miler US CP, HH Diamond,
Stayed several times (8) at both properties.
Hilton is ok but the Conrad is one class above and normally even cheaper.
The Hilton has a very awful pool and is the oldest mayor Hotel in Singapore and it shows! it was the first big international hotel in Singapore. Rooms are nicely renovsted but some other facilities are not up to todays standards.
The Conrad has a much better pool and is one of the newest properties in Singapore. The club is very nice and the breakfarst at Oscars is one of the best in town!
I highly recommend the Conrad!
Old Aug 24, 2005, 1:37 pm

Programs: none yet :(
Late Checkout for Hilton Singapore? (Gold member)

I'm a gold member and will be staying at the Hilton Singapore this weekend. My flight on Sunday is at about 2325.

What's the latest i can expect them to let me check out?

Also, will they let me check out, but keep my luggage until I come back later on in the evening to collect it.

And anyone know how easy and long it is to get to/from the airport. Thanks.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:28 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite , Hilton Honors
The latest I've checked out is about 14:30. It may depend how busy they are, if they can let you stay and still service your room in the AM.

They usually keep your luggage in the Executive lounge. It's normally open until 10:30, so you should be OK if you are leaving enough time for security etc. at the port.

The cab ride takes 20-25 min and costs about $16 SGD BUT be aware that there is a 50% surcharge for late night trips. I think it kicks in about 23:00.

Commander Bob
Always enjoys those executive upgrades
Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:57 pm

excellent.... thanks very much for the info... these forums are a godsend
Old Aug 24, 2005, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Just having gotten back from Singapore last night, let me offer another option to the airport. Your flight is early enough that you can take the MRT from Orchard Station to the airport. It will wind up being less than 2SGD once you get your 1SGD deposit back...

I paid 17.35SGD for a taxi to the Marina area on Friday night, but you wouldn't be paying the surcharges since you're leaving before they kick in.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:50 pm

thanks Bluehen1. I get there tomorrow evening about 5pm so I will try the MRT to the Hilton and then will probably take it back to the airport. Apart from the Night Safari and Newton Circus, is there anywhere I must try and fit in whilst I am there?

Thanks.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by mo_in_uk
thanks Bluehen1. I get there tomorrow evening about 5pm so I will try the MRT to the Hilton and then will probably take it back to the airport. Apart from the Night Safari and Newton Circus, is there anywhere I must try and fit in whilst I am there?

Thanks.
Go to Suntec Tower 4, and ask about the rooftop tour at the information desk. It's about SG$10 and goes for about 20 minutes. They basically take you up to the roof and point out the surroundings, including Indonesia and Malaysia.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by bluehen1
Just having gotten back from Singapore last night
Bluehen1 Did you stay at the Hilton?? I remember seeing some scaffolding outside the building, are they doing some sort of refurbishment?

Originally Posted by JeremyX
Go to Suntec Tower 4, and ask about the rooftop tour at the information desk. It's about SG$10 and goes for about 20 minutes. They basically take you up to the roof and point out the surroundings, including Indonesia and Malaysia.
Ahh, I never knew about that!! Anyway, one of the best places to go for the Singaproe skyline is the Esplanade Promanade. Both the day and night views are beautiful but I prefer the night one. Another place, if you have time is the Singapore Orchid Gardens in the Botanic Gardens.

What's the latest i can expect them to let me check out?
It really depends. Sunday is normally a quiet day for hotels, so try asking if you can get a 1600 check out. I normally prefer to check out early and spend the whole day outside. Remember that even if they do not allow you to check out late, you can still ask to use the gym changing rooms to freshen up before leaving for the airport.

Welcome to Singapore in advance, hope you enjoy your stay with us!!
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:43 am
cjd

Thanks.
We enjoyed spending the day at Sentosa Island. You can catch the cable car across to the island from the mainland. Also at night, Clarke Quay and Boat Quay for some nice restaurants. There's also a big festival going on at the moment - "Celebrate Singapore" - so there should be plenty to see and do. Have a great time, I'm sure you'll really enjoy your holiday, it's a great place to visit.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN
I'd strongly recommend the Conrad -- it usually costs not that much more than the Hilton.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:56 am

JeremyX - thanks for that. Someone else also mentioned that so I will check it out.

SQ319 - thanks for the welcome.... I've heard so many good thing about SIN that I wish I was staying longer.... will certainly be coming back (if not for anything else, then for the gorgeous food). And the pointer about the gum changing rooms is great as it would be ideal to freshen up before a 13 hr flight back to UK.

cjd - A visit to Sentosa island is something I want to do but is about 2/3 hours enough. If not, I'll leave for for when I go there next (with the family)

Nicholas - Lots of people say that about Conrad but I wanted to stay close to Orchard Street as possible and I am paying £65 per room at the Hilton with a discount so didn't think I get the same sort of price at Conrad.

How likely am I to get a room upgrade (due to being Gold). Do I need to ask/mention this? Also, I cannot find my Hilton Card.... should I just print out my account details?

Thanks again to everyone..... I really do appreciate it and will update this thread once I return next week.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:59 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Equinox up top of the Swiss Hotel is a great place for a dinner with an Amazing view. Food stalls in Changi Village for the opposite price range were amazing too.

... and the list goes on...
Old Aug 25, 2005, 2:26 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SQ319
Bluehen1 Did you stay at the Hilton?? I remember seeing some scaffolding outside the building, are they doing some sort of refurbishment?

It really depends. Sunday is normally a quiet day for hotels, so try asking if you can get a 1600 check out.
There is some construction going on as they are updating the exterior. I would inquire about the work. Here is a short overview from a previous post of mine:

Update on the Hilton Singapore

Just returned from SIN (Aug 2) and stayed at the Hilton on Orchard for a few nights. They are doing some exterior work for the time frame of Jul to Nov 2005. This involves hacking and drilling etc. on the fassade where required. The front desk mgr told me that they might be done by Sep but no one can tell for sure. Now while the hotels top mgmt considers the work to be done and the discomfort caused for guests due to the noise as minor (that's the reason why they don't mention it on their web site), I have to say that I found it quite bothersome at times.

The times for the exterior work run from 8am to 8pm (Mon to Sun), meaning all week and no one knows what area (front or back) or floors (high or low) these construction guys will be working on. Especially the drilling on a Sat and Sun morning at 8:30am was just plain awfull and lasted for 2-3 hours at a time. Call it bad luck but I was a tad unhappy. I was staying on the 17th floor (HHonors floor) looking out the backside.

Regarding the check-out time. Latest I have gotten as a Diamond was 4pm regardless of occupancy levels at the hotel. Normally you can get 2pm without any troubles. You can store your luggage with the bell desk and retrieve it whenever you need to. No problem at all.

Cheers ...
Old Aug 25, 2005, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
I stayed a few weeks ago and on check-in they asked what time my flight was on my departure day and worked my check-out time accordingly, I had an 18.00 departure so they gave me a check-out time of 15.00. The 'hacking work' was not a problem.

Orchard towers, across the road from the Hilton seems a liverly night time spot for singel men! 3 floors of .......as they say locally.

Last edited by Alinlondon; Aug 25, 2005 at 5:43 am Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.