Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2016 to 2019] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2016 to 2019] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by PaulH1
Another vote for Hilton Bankside
service is great, nice lounge, indoor pool, lovely breakfast, good value at weekends
downside is it's location for sightseeing London compared to Conrad St James and Hilton Park Lane
Hilton Park Lane is quite old and Conrad St James lets itself down with poor service and noisy street view rooms
if you decide on Conrad ask for courtyard facing room which are much quieter
Thanks for the pointer on booking courtyard room. Wasn't expecting the neighbourhood to be noisy to be honest.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by thegoderic
My 10 pence worth:-
I prefer the Trafalgar as they've always looked after me and it has much more of a boutique hotel feel. Also if you can get one of the rooms with a Trafalgar Square view, it makes the place very special.
The view does look quite special which is what draws me to this property.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Any recommendations on Hilton Canary Wharf vs Hilton Bankside?

For a one night stay on business, prices are roughly the same.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by manord
Any recommendations on Hilton Canary Wharf vs Hilton Bankside?

For a one night stay on business, prices are roughly the same.
Both very good hotels, I'd say Bankside has a more upmarket feel to it. If you have access through status or room category, both have well stocked lounges, but would say Bankside edges it slightly, unless a view is important to you. I'd probably use location relative to where I needed to be as the tie-breaker.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
Both very good hotels, I'd say Bankside has a more upmarket feel to it. If you have access through status or room category, both have well stocked lounges, but would say Bankside edges it slightly, unless a view is important to you. I'd probably use location relative to where I needed to be as the tie-breaker.
Thanks. I'd book the most basic room but am HH Diamond so have lounge access. Any comment on upgrade probabilities at either hotel?

Bankside is physically closer to my meeting near Tower Hill, but the actual travel time from Canary Wharf is not that different.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Thanks. I'd book the most basic room but am HH Diamond so have lounge access. Any comment on upgrade probabilities at either hotel?

Bankside is physically closer to my meeting near Tower Hill, but the actual travel time from Canary Wharf is not that different.
Canary Wharf probably more likely for upgrades. If it was me, I wouldn't bank on one, or care too much for a 1 night stay on business, especially with Diamond status so you get into the lounge anyway. Not sure how familiar you are with London and public transport, but as we get towards summer (*looks out of window* - Hmmm, really?) I think more about air conditioned transport options, like Circle/District line being your route to Tower Hill from Bankside, versus DLR from Canary Wharf.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
Canary Wharf probably more likely for upgrades. If it was me, I wouldn't bank on one, or care too much for a 1 night stay on business, especially with Diamond status so you get into the lounge anyway. Not sure how familiar you are with London and public transport, but as we get towards summer (*looks out of window* - Hmmm, really?) I think more about air conditioned transport options, like Circle/District line being your route to Tower Hill from Bankside, versus DLR from Canary Wharf.
Thanks.

My stay is in a few days, so I'll take the gamble summer won't have arrived by then :-) Hopefully it will be just nice enough weather that walking from Bankside to Tower Hill is a good option.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Thanks.

My stay is in a few days, so I'll take the gamble summer won't have arrived by then :-) Hopefully it will be just nice enough weather that walking from Bankside to Tower Hill is a good option.
These are both my “ go to “ hotels whilst in London, Bankside is more upmarket but but the hard product at CW is better and the area is very nice

Upgrades - CW wins hands down , 100 % upgrade score for me to at least executive and I’ve had over 100 stays here, Bankside I’ve had the odd upgrade and only once to a suite....CW dishes out regular suite upgrades when hotel is quiet.

Lounge - CW was rubbish for a while but they have now solved that and it’s back to great again, always great canapés and booze selection....... long happy hour times too 6-10 during the week....... Bankside is ok and bigger but echoing and sometimes noisy, that said it can sometimes be great too.

Breakfast - here Bankside wins hands down, great in lounge and restaurant......CW is ok but Bankside is far superior.

Room- Bankside is smarter and newer CW is good too but Bankside has the edge.

Location - hmmm, to Tower Hill both are about the same but from CW it’s an easy 15 mins on the DLR from the station outside .

Conclusion - if it was me and they were both the same price I would probably go for CW as it’s easier and less busy, Bankside has a pool but CW has a nice sauna to relax in after a hard day , both are great hotels , Bankside would probably wow you more but CW is the man for the job on this occasion, in my opinion of course.

Update- forgot to mention if you are driving CW is much easier and cheaper @£20 for parking, Bankside is valet @ £40 and didn’t forget the congestion charge @ £11-50, CW is outside the congestion charge zone.

Last edited by wizla; May 3, 2019 at 8:55 am Reason: Additional information added
Old May 3, 2019, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by wizla
These are both my “ go to “ hotels whilst in London, Bankside is more upmarket but but the hard product at CW is better and the area is very nice

Upgrades - CW wins hands down , 100 % upgrade score for me to at least executive and I’ve had over 100 stays here, Bankside I’ve had the odd upgrade and only once to a suite....CW dishes out regular suite upgrades when hotel is quiet.

Lounge - CW was rubbish for a while but they have now solved that and it’s back to great again, always great canapés and booze selection....... long happy hour times too 6-10 during the week....... Bankside is ok and bigger but echoing and sometimes noisy, that said it can sometimes be great too.

Breakfast - here Bankside wins hands down, great in lounge and restaurant......CW is ok but Bankside is far superior.

Room- Bankside is smarter and newer CW is good too but Bankside has the edge.

Location - hmmm, to Tower Hill both are about the same but from CW it’s an easy 15 mins on the DLR from the station outside .

Conclusion - if it was me and they were both the same price I would probably go for CW as it’s easier and less busy, Bankside has a pool but CW has a nice sauna to relax in after a hard day , both are great hotels , Bankside would probably wow you more but CW is the man for the job on this occasion, in my opinion of course.

Update- forgot to mention if you are driving CW is much easier and cheaper @£20 for parking, Bankside is valet @ £40 and didn’t forget the congestion charge @ £11-50, CW is outside the congestion charge zone.
Thanks.

I won't be driving (public transport or walking).

I have stayed in the Hilton CW but it was a few years ago since my last stay, and never been in the Bankside.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:01 am

Thanks.

I won't be driving (public transport or walking).

I have stayed in the Hilton CW but it was a few years ago since my last stay, and never been in the Bankside.
No worries, Bankside will definitely dazzle you more, it’s very plush but as I said CW is too .......CW would be the sensible option but Bankside could be more fun, if you do choose Bankside there are a couple of things you must do

1 ) dine at tibits restaurant around the corner from the hotel, it’s a vegetarian buffet restaurant and it’s absolutely delicious ( and I’m a meat eater! )

2) try the honey nut granola at breakfast!......definitely the tastiest granola I’ve ever had.
Old May 4, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
No worries, Bankside will definitely dazzle you more, it’s very plush but as I said CW is too .......CW would be the sensible option but Bankside could be more fun, if you do choose Bankside there are a couple of things you must do

1 ) dine at tibits restaurant around the corner from the hotel, it’s a vegetarian buffet restaurant and it’s absolutely delicious ( and I’m a meat eater! )

2) try the honey nut granola at breakfast!......definitely the tastiest granola I’ve ever had.
Having never been to the CW area in general, which would you recommend if ones interest is more around finding close by independent dining options (i.e. not chains) and a variety of pubs to sample?
Old May 4, 2019, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Having never been to the CW area in general, which would you recommend if ones interest is more around finding close by independent dining options (i.e. not chains) and a variety of pubs to sample?
That’s a good question but the answer is in nearby Greenwich, CW itself is very modern and I’m struggling to think of independent restaurant,

HAVAZ ( behind Hilton CW) is a very good Turkish restaurant, they also have a cafe/delicatessen attached to the side , always nice food.

GOODMAN ( behind Hilton and along the dock ) claims to do the best steak in London, I’ve been once and it was very good indeed yet expensive.

If you walk behind the hotel and over the bridge into jubilee place there is an abundance of bars, cafes and shops, in fact the shopping centre under CW itself is very impressive, you won’t go hungry.

Now , as I said , Greenwich.......... it’s 5 mins on the DLR ( get the lewisham bound train ) , but get off at “ cutty sark “ not Greenwich itself.
Here we have -

TAI WON MIEN - simply my favourite restaurant in the whole of the uk , serves the best fried noodles ever!, not expensive, I nearly always go for mixed meat noodles and a Chinese beer @ £8 , huge portions, extremely tasty

THE GOLDEN CHIPPY - ( Greenwich high road ) ......this place has won awards for its fish and chips, I’ve not been for a few years but I’m told it’s great!

THE MARKET - an abundance of street food here , always busy , great vide ! , great food .

If you walk down to the river and turn right there is four great old English pubs along that part of the river , with food options and great ale.....this is a great place to be at sunset on a nice day!

Hope this helps .

Last edited by wizla; May 4, 2019 at 5:01 am Reason: Typo
Old May 4, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
That’s a good question but the answer is in nearby Greenwich, CW itself is very modern and I’m struggling to think of independent restaurant,

HAVAZ ( behind Hilton CW) is a very good Turkish restaurant, they also have a cafe/delicatessen attached to the side , always nice food.

GOODMAN ( behind Hilton and along the dock ) claims to do the best steak in London, I’ve been once and it was very good indeed yet expensive.

If you walk behind the hotel and over the bridge into jubilee place there is an abundance of bars, cafes and shops, in fact the shopping centre under CW itself is very impressive, you won’t go hungry.

Now , as I said , Greenwich.......... it’s 5 mins on the DLR ( get the lewisham bound train ) , but get off at “ cutty sark “ not Greenwich itself.
Here we have -

TAI WON MIEN - simply my favourite restaurant in the whole of the uk , serves the best fried noodles ever!, not expensive, I nearly always go for mixed meat noodles and a Chinese beer @ £8 , huge portions, extremely tasty

THE GOLDEN CHIPPY - ( Greenwich high road ) ......this place has won awards for its fish and chips, I’ve not been for a few years but I’m told it’s great!

THE MARKET - an abundance of street food here , always busy , great vide ! , great food .

If you walk down to the river and turn right there is four great old English pubs along that part of the river , with food options and great ale.....this is a great place to be at sunset on a nice day!

Hope this helps .
Indeed, thanks!. I didn't think of Greenwich, even though I have visited several times, but only as a tourist taking the Thames boat ride from downtown London. But yes, it is right there in relation to CW.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Indeed, thanks!. I didn't think of Greenwich, even though I have visited several times, but only as a tourist taking the Thames boat ride from downtown London. But yes, it is right there in relation to CW.
Greenwich is my favourite part of London and also my childhood second home, I’ve recommended Greenwich to many Friends and collieges over the years and they all thanked me and agreed.
You could actually walk there from Hilton CW, just wander through millwall outer dock and to the park the other side, then under the foot tunnel to Greenwich , it’s a great walk and takes 36 mins.....the naval museum and observetry are free and worth a look if you have time and the view of Canary Wharf from up there is awesome......trust me it’s pretty special.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:17 am

Greenwich is my favourite part of London and also my childhood second home, I’ve recommended Greenwich to many Friends and collieges over the years and they all thanked me and agreed.
You could actually walk there from Hilton CW, just wander through millwall outer dock and to the park the other side, then under the foot tunnel to Greenwich , it’s a great walk and takes 36 mins.....the naval museum and observetry are free and worth a look if you have time and the view of Canary Wharf from up there is awesome......trust me it’s pretty special.
There you go......
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.