Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2016 to 2019] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2016 to 2019] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in or near London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I have not stayed at the Trafalgar, but really enjoyed my last visit to the Conrad. I am fussy about breakfast and thought that their restaurant breakfast on my last stay was one of the best in quality and variety of any Hilton property at which I’ve stayed outside of Asia. As a gold I wouldn’t expect an upgrade, but if you’re ok with that, location is good for sightseeing and breakfast is great.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:04 pm

I debated between the same hotels for a visit last spring and was happy with the Trafalgar. I got upgraded to a King room, and the room was very large by London standards. The location is ideal, and the hotel was completely remodeled recently so everything is in great condition. I thought the continental breakfast they provided was very good (fresh croissants and pastries, cereals, fruit, sliced meat and cheese), but you might get a full breakfast or more options at the Conrad. I walked by the Conrad and while it is still fairly central, the area is more office buildings and won’t have the same easy access to multiple lines of public transit that Trafalgar Square does. I would look at distances to places you want to go on google maps and make the choice from there, but pauleeepaul’s assessment is probably correct about picking between a slightly more upscale hotel and a little more convenient location.

Edited to add that I believe the Conrad had rooms with two twin beds at the standard reward rate, which the Trafalgar doesn’t have, if that matters for your kids.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
Originally Posted by ABlue
I debated between the same hotels for a visit last spring and was happy with the Trafalgar. I got upgraded to a King room, and the room was very large by London standards. The location is ideal, and the hotel was completely remodeled recently so everything is in great condition. I thought the continental breakfast they provided was very good (fresh croissants and pastries, cereals, fruit, sliced meat and cheese), but you might get a full breakfast or more options at the Conrad. I walked by the Conrad and while it is still fairly central, the area is more office buildings and won’t have the same easy access to multiple lines of public transit that Trafalgar Square does. I would look at distances to places you want to go on google maps and make the choice from there, but pauleeepaul’s assessment is probably correct about picking between a slightly more upscale hotel and a little more convenient location.

Edited to add that I believe the Conrad had rooms with two twin beds at the standard reward rate, which the Trafalgar doesn’t have, if that matters for your kids. And I did see that at one time there were twin rooms but those aren't available.
Thank you for much for your thoughts! This is exactly what I needed to hear. Sounds like Trafalgar will be just fine. With dicey early April weather, I think location will be key.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:14 am

If you prefer rooms with a tub.. I always find making a note when booking helps, this has sometimes led to an upgrade for me for them to fulfil the request.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Agree with the other posters, given your criteria, you're better off at the Trafalgar in my opinion. The boys will love the vibrancy of the location and hotel (it has a 'young' feeling to it). You'll love the ease of access and walkability to everywhere central or through the undergroundl. Not much to fault really, except that it will be popular and so not sure about what upgrade you may or may not get. A good idea to ask for a bathtub in one room and see if they can grant that.

The Conrad is lovely and is also quite central but for 4 people and sight-seeing, the Trafalgar is likely best.

Enjoy your trip to this great city, safe travels.

Please do consider coming back and posting about your experience to help others in future as well regarding hotel choice and other points that we may take for granted or have missed!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Delta , Southwest, Amex Corp Plat, AA
Please Note, The Rooftop will be closed until 21st March 2019. The Trafalgar Dining Rooms will be closed from 11th February to 17th April 2019. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Just saw this on the website. I sent an email to the hotel this a.m. asking what the breakfast arrangements are if the dining room is closed! So annoying.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
We (husband and I) are spending three nights in London in September. We stayed at the Conrad last year and absolutely loved it but it is sold out for our dates this year, which is surprising 9 months ahead of time. I’ll definitely keep any eye on it to see if it opens up. The Metropole, Trafalgar St. James and the Hilton Tower Bridge are an obscene amount of points (premium awards only).

I see the DT Kensington is being rebranded as a Curio in March. At 50k points, it is a bargain. Any idea if it is a full reno and will this be a good deal for 50k? i.e. is it likely to increase and should I jump on it now or is it really still just a DT?

I have narrowed it down to the below. As I am now a lowly Gold, a lounge won’t be in the cards unless I get a miracle upgrade. Criteria is: a great breakfast (as a Gold) and close to a tube station, like no more than a couple minutes walk.

Waldorf 80k. Leaning towards this but what is the breakfast like for a Gold?
Bankside 70k
Park Lane 80k
Hilton Paddington 70k
DT Westminster 60k
DT Hyde Park 50k (like the price and the walk in the park, but it’s a DT)
DT Kensington (soon to be Curio) 50k See question above.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I didn't like the DT Kensington last time I stayed, as they had closed the lower ground floor restaurant for evening meals, and the only option was the small bar area just off reception. If you have the points I would always suggest Bankside. If you get an exec room upgrade, the lounge is fantastic, otherwise breakfast in the restaurant is decent. Waldorf has an element of grandeur about it, and a good spread for breakfast. DT Hyde Park is a nice hotel, with good views, and some rooms have balconies. Breakfast was OK here. Don't recall any of these hotels restricting breakfast items for the free 'continental' breakfast gold benefit.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
I didn't like the DT Kensington last time I stayed, as they had closed the lower ground floor restaurant for evening meals, and the only option was the small bar area just off reception. If you have the points I would always suggest Bankside. If you get an exec room upgrade, the lounge is fantastic, otherwise breakfast in the restaurant is decent. Waldorf has an element of grandeur about it, and a good spread for breakfast. DT Hyde Park is a nice hotel, with good views, and some rooms have balconies. Breakfast was OK here. Don't recall any of these hotels restricting breakfast items for the free 'continental' breakfast gold benefit.
Thanks! I had just booked the Waldorf but after reading this, have canceled it. So Bankside > Waldorf?

I like the idea of DT Hyde Park just to be able to go for a walk in the park and Notting Hill seems like a cool place to walk around. How much of a step down is the DT from the Bankside?

Other than breakfast, on-site dining isn’t a big deal. If the Bankside is an easy upgrade, then lounge access would win me over. We loved the afternoon lounge offerings at the Conrad.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Finkface
So Bankside > Waldorf?
In every aspect other than location, I would suggest.

How much of a step down is the DT from the Bankside?
Quite a bit. Bankside still has that 'New Hotel Smell'.

All my own opinion, but after staying in most of the London Hiltons, I would always opt for Bankside if budget allowed it. Don't bank on a room upgrade to executive for lounge access though, I have had limited success there in recent times, but thankfully get access as a Diamond.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Waldorf breakfast is very good but does get very busy and queuing happens frequently, have you considered Hilton Canary Wharf?, it's across the road from the DLR stop ( south quay) in a nice area and 20mins from downtown London .
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by wizla
Waldorf breakfast is very good but does get very busy and queuing happens frequently, have you considered Hilton Canary Wharf?, it's across the road from the DLR stop ( south quay) in a nice area and 20mins from downtown London .
I did consider Canary Wharf but only premium awards available at 190k.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
In every aspect other than location, I would suggest.

Quite a bit. Bankside still has that 'New Hotel Smell'.

All my own opinion, but after staying in most of the London Hiltons, I would always opt for Bankside if budget allowed it. Don't bank on a room upgrade to executive for lounge access though, I have had limited success there in recent times, but thankfully get access as a Diamond.
Bankside is 70k and Waldorf is 80k so no real difference in points needed. As a Gold, I can’t count on an upgrade to exec. So, assuming I will not have lounge access, do you still say Bankside > Waldorf?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
I did consider Canary Wharf but only premium awards available at 190k.
Oh ok....gotcha.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Bankside is 70k and Waldorf is 80k so no real difference in points needed. As a Gold, I can’t count on an upgrade to exec. So, assuming I will not have lounge access, do you still say Bankside > Waldorf?
Bankside blows away the Waldorf on breakfast in my opinion, but a big part of the appeal for me is the outstanding lounge. If I were in your position and didn’t have lounge access, however, I’d probably go with the Waldorf just due to location. I’ve stayed at both, and while bankside is close to several tube stops, I found the ease of stepping out of the Waldorf and being surrounded by the west end restaurants/shops vs the ~15 minute tube ride to make up for the less nice accommodations.

I also think you’ll find that the Conrad opens up closer to the date of your trip. I’ve seen it sold out (or pricing crazy high) several months out and then open rooms at a reasonable price one to two weeks before my trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.