Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:16 am

I think if you had paid for the hotel room charges when you checked out instead of paying in advance, that would have been reimbursed as a credit on your Aspire account. Since you stated you prepaid in advance that is why it didn't work. My understanding is that all charges made to your room that you would pay for when you check out (including dining, parking, resort fees, drinks, etc) will all be reimbursed by Amex if you pay for them with your Aspire when you check out. The key is anything you can charge to your room during your stay.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
It is not clear with the reimbursement of $250 from Amex at this point? Does all hotel in this link hilton.com/resorts qualify for the $250 credit or just those hotels with the resort wording attached in hotel name wqualify for the credit.
I believe you go to the box below the big picture. It says "I want to explore." Then fill in the other boxes. The resorts that show up are eligible. I would call first to confirm, as always, YMMV.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by thebat
I believe you go to the box below the big picture. It says "I want to explore." Then fill in the other boxes. The resorts that show up are eligible. I would call first to confirm, as always, YMMV.
Do you mean call AMEX to ask for clarification. I did, but still get a unclear answer.
After I read the Term and Condition again ( of $250 hotel credit). Somehow I believe, the amount of credit mean for incidental charges ( restaurant, spa ect.) and not apply to the room rate .
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:52 pm
Suspended

I believe that Hilton Advance Purchase is a separate part of Hilton , I think they are (were) in Nashville. So could be Amex doesnt see it a s a hotel stay. That was the case a couple of years ago, could be outside the US it goes thru via the Hotel itself so it will post as a hotel charge rather then a HAP charge
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
See this post -
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29009198-post227.html

Will the statement credit apply to points/certificate bookings that have the Aspire card tied to the booking, or only certain paid rates?
The resort statement credit is used on a hotel charge made at one of the resorts using the Aspire card. If you book a resort and use only Points, there would be no expense to credit on your Aspire. Any paid rate for a resort listed on Hilton.com/resorts made through a Hilton booking channel will see the credit
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
I believe that Hilton Advance Purchase is a separate part of Hilton , I think they are (were) in Nashville. So could be Amex doesnt see it a s a hotel stay. That was the case a couple of years ago, could be outside the US it goes thru via the Hotel itself so it will post as a hotel charge rather then a HAP charge
We have a winner!!! So, after dealing with a couple of nice, though not particularly helpful Amex reps, I was told to call Hilton directly: 800-236-7113

After I explained my situation, the Hilton representative put me on hold to get some additional information and speak to one her colleagues. Advanced Purchase rates for domestic hotels are handled through a separate Hilton channel that is based out of Nashville, TN Because of this, it won't trigger the credit.

Any Advanced Purchase charges for hotels outside of the US, are handled directly through the actual property. That's why ReachMoon's Advanced Purchase for Tokyo triggered the credit and mine did not.

When I spoke to the Hilton rep, she did mention that properties have the ability to refund an advanced purchase rate and rebill it through the hotel, provided the checkout date is within 72 hours. However, she said it is at their discretion. However, she mentioned it can often be a hassle and some properties will decline.

The best way to make sure that domestic resorts are billed under the hotel directly is to book with the HONORS DISCOUNT RATE. It is a few dollars cheaper than the standard flexible rate and will be billed directly through the property and not through Nashville, TN.

Of course, if you are booking a resort outside of the US, you won't have to worry.

I'm a little disappointed that I can't get the AP rate and use the credit domestically, but at least others will know in the future. In my case, the difference between the AP rate and HONORS DISCOUNT RATE is only $20 per night. If you are going to a resort where you will use valet, spa, food and drinks, you may not have a problem either way.

From a personal standpoint, I was already planning a 4-night stay at a Chicago-area Marriott, in a couple weeks, since I had a few certificates to burn. What I'll probably do is switch two of those nights to the Hilton Oak Brook Chicago to burn up the rest of the $250 resort credit.

Last time I stayed, the hotel automatically upgraded me to a suite, gave me a couple coupons for free drinks, appetizers, or a dessert, since the executive lounge is closed on the weekends, in addition to the two breakfast vouchers and free bottled water.
Since the property wasn't busy, they weren't running their standard breakfast buffet, but they allowed me to order whatever I wanted from the restaurant menu, excluding alcohol, and it was all covered with the voucher.

Last time I stayed, they were also allowed me to purchase a $50 stay credit for $25, which basically meant more food and drinks. The $25 stay credit promotion was the one charge that was handled directly through the hotel and triggered the resort credit reimbursement. I have around $223/$250 remaining.

Anyway, I will be updating this thread in a couple weeks to advise if the HONORS DISCOUNT RATE posts directly through the hotel and triggers the remainder of my credit. Hopefully, this post is helpful to others who may have similar questions.

Thanks again to everyone that has contributed and also to ReachMoon, since it's clear that AP charges for domestic and international properties are posted differently.

Last edited by diesteldorf; Mar 12, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
It is not clear with the reimbursement of $250 from Amex at this point? Does all hotel in this link hilton.com/resorts qualify for the $250 credit or just those hotels with the resort wording attached in hotel name wqualify for the credit.
I just stayed at the Hilton Anatole which does not have resort in the name but is listed on hilton.com/resorts and also charges a resort fee. I was credited $250 the day after the charge posted for hotel stay which was room night only. I am actually not sure why this hotel is considered a resort as it's located in Dallas and is just a large conference hotel with no discernible resort amenities besides a large pool which was closed when I stayed there.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
After I explained my situation, the Hilton representative put me on hold to get some additional information and speak to one her colleagues. Advanced Purchase rates for domestic hotels are handled through a separate Hilton channel that is based out of Nashville, TN Because of this, it won't trigger the credit.
... but did they find a way to give you the $250 you were entitled to? Or was the response "sorry, our systems are just dumb so no credit for you"?

The best way to make sure that domestic resorts are billed under the hotel directly is to book with the HONORS DISCOUNT RATE. It is a few dollars cheaper than the standard flexible rate and will be billed directly through the property and not through Nashville, TN.
This is really just saying "don't book an advance purchase rate". The Honors Discount Rate isn't typically better than booking with the AAA rate, which in most cases is the same price as the Advance Purchase Rate. MVP Rate would work too.

Neil
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missamo80
... but did they find a way to give you the $250 you were entitled to? Or was the response "sorry, our systems are just dumb so no credit for you"?

This is really just saying "don't book an advance purchase rate". The Honors Discount Rate isn't typically better than booking with the AAA rate, which in most cases is the same price as the Advance Purchase Rate. MVP Rate would work too.

Neil
I agree with you regarding the "sorry our systems are dumb, so no credit for you." If I had a way to escalate, I probably would, since I am not crazy about having to modify my Marriott reservation, so I can give Hilton more business.

On the other hand, I want to ensure that I can burn the credit.

I am not an AAA may check the rates and see. It could be worth it, since I had no idea that AAA rates were so competitive.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
As a data point my upcoming reservation at the Tropicana (which is on the resort list) required the prepayment of the first night which generated a resort credit for the deposit amount two days later. So you can get the credit for a room rate and it is not dependent on actually checking out.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I am not an AAA may check the rates and see. It could be worth it, since I had no idea that AAA rates were so competitive.
The Honors discount rate is only about 5% off BAR. The AAA rate is usually 10% off BAR. MVP rate, if available, is 20% off BAR. Team rate is 15% off BAR.

Hilton just wants you to think their super special Honors discount rate is super special so you book direct with them and don't use another discount rate. It isn't that super special.

Neil
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:09 pm

Thanks for the data point. How did the charge post? Did it post under the property name or simply as: HILTON ADVANCED PURCHASE?
It posted as below, not Advanced purchase stated

HILTON TOKYO BAY
kÎæi] c[zÈÇ
ubÎu 1-8
URAYASU
279-0031
JAPAN
Foreign Spend Amount:XX,XXX JAPANESE YEN
Additional Information: LODGINGLODGING
Reference: XXXXXXXXXX1361
Category: Travel - Lodging
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
As a data point my upcoming reservation at the Tropicana (which is on the resort list) required the prepayment of the first night which generated a resort credit for the deposit amount two days later. So you can get the credit for a room rate and it is not dependent on actually checking out.
Which 'rate' did you get? AP, HH, MVP, AAA....?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by thebat
Which 'rate' did you get? AP, HH, MVP, AAA....?

​​​​​Hilton Honors (not @ AP)
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:58 pm

We have a winner!!! So, after dealing with a couple of nice, though not particularly helpful Amex reps, I was told to call Hilton directly: 800-236-7113

Any Advanced Purchase charges for hotels outside of the US, are handled directly through the actual property. That's why ReachMoon's Advanced Purchase for Tokyo triggered the credit and mine did not.

When I spoke to the Hilton rep, she did mention that properties have the ability to refund an advanced purchase rate and rebill it through the hotel, provided the checkout date is within 72 hours. However, she said it is at their discretion. However, she mentioned it can often be a hassle and some properties will decline.

Of course, if you are booking a resort outside of the US, you won't have to worry.

I'm a little disappointed that I can't get the AP rate and use the credit domestically, but at least others will know in the future. In my case, the difference between the AP rate and HONORS DISCOUNT RATE is only $20 per night. If you are going to a resort where you will use valet, spa, food and drinks, you may not have a problem either way.

From a personal standpoint, I was already planning a 4-night stay at a Chicago-area Marriott, in a couple weeks, since I had a few certificates to burn. What I'll probably do is switch two of those nights to the Hilton Oak Brook Chicago to burn up the rest of the $250 resort credit.

Last time I stayed, the hotel automatically upgraded me to a suite, gave me a couple coupons for free drinks, appetizers, or a dessert, since the executive lounge is closed on the weekends, in addition to the two breakfast vouchers and free bottled water.
Since the property wasn't busy, they weren't running their standard breakfast buffet, but they allowed me to order whatever I wanted from the restaurant menu, excluding alcohol, and it was all covered with the voucher.

Last time I stayed, they were also allowed me to purchase a $50 stay credit for $25, which basically meant more food and drinks. The $25 stay credit promotion was the one charge that was handled directly through the hotel and triggered the resort credit reimbursement. I have around $223/$250 remaining.

Anyway, I will be updating this thread in a couple weeks to advise if the HONORS DISCOUNT RATE posts directly through the hotel and triggers the remainder of my credit. Hopefully, this post is helpful to others who may have similar questions.

Thanks again to everyone that has contributed and also to ReachMoon, since it's clear that AP charges for domestic and international properties are posted differently.
I am in a similar situation (booked a room - at a resort - via Advanced Purchase - for a stay in May, and the credit has not been triggered on the Hilton Aspire card). Recently, I contacted the hotel directly. The hotel manager said that they do not have the power to refund/recharge the funds - try Hilton Worldwide Advanced Purchase Line (normal Hilton number but request someone at Advanced Purchase). So, I contacted Hilton Advanced Purchase line, and they said that they did not have the power to refund the funds in any way; however, they said that they could redirect the funds to a different advanced purchase.

I guess I will have to wait 8-12 weeks (about 6 weeks from now) and contact AMEX directly, convince them that Room Rates are included in the Resort credit, and then request the $250 credit if the credit has not been triggered by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.