Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:51 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Let me check on the 2020 upgrade(s) to see where that puts the numbers. I am trying to convince my wife it makes better financial sense to go back to the Maldives over BB next year so I need the correct numbers before I make my presentation.

I think you will need to settle for the non-Grand versions of various villa types in 2020 for your numbers to work! The cost of "Grand" has increased too much for what is only a marginal increase in available space.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by rvlcr
thats what i’ve been thinking all along. this is exactly what happens when you pump artificial sand in the middle of a natural lagoon to create a fake looking, man made island. it’s not going to go well and just as we can see right here, the sand is not settling very well. if i we’re paying a cash rate of 2.000 for this resort i would be very peeved if this was then lagoon/beach i found outside my villa.

the beaches at the conrad, PHH, and W are MUCH MUCH nicer.

ive been to 6 resorts in the maldives and even cheap 4* ones come way way ahead than the waldorf when it comes to beach and lagoon beauty. which at the end of the day is why i fly 30+ hours across the world and is also why i will never ever visit the WA.
I know how you feel. It's surprising just how many folks wouldn't notice or know what to look for. Just one thing, though. I think you needed to use the other pic in your quote of @WorldTravl's post.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Scotland
So I have our final night to book, I'm almost wondering about booking an Overwater Villa at the SAii Lagoon ($800 ish) which looks very nice on the Hilton Site for our last night, could I get them to pick me up and save on the transfer too!
The prices I was quoted from SAii last month (before hotel opening was delayed) to transfer to Waldorf was:

“Fjord (open boat) cannot be used if raining – USD 770

Al Safana (air conditioned boat) – USD 935”

I believe this was the per boat fee and not per person. Hopefully, Waldorf will at least allow transfers from other Hilton resorts.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:34 pm

Four Seasons Landaa Giraavaru Beach villa Cost: 1880$ next April 1440$ this October

I'm grateful that I can redeem points at WA. But I don't get why anyone would want to pay for it. The water looks so bad. The most I would pay for WA in money is 800$. So I am really reconsidering if I want to stay at WA. The only reason I see people paying for WA now is because of the brand.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
I think you will need to settle for the non-Grand versions of various villa types in 2020 for your numbers to work! The cost of "Grand" has increased too much for what is only a marginal increase in available space.
You could be very right about that!’

But I would think/hope that the upgrades will be similar to 2019 prices. That could just be wishful thinking.

Anyone out there have any 2020 upgrades prices to share?

TD

Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by WorldTravl
I'm grateful that I can redeem points at WA. But I don't get why anyone would want to pay for it. The water looks so bad. The most I would pay for WA in money is 800$. So I am really reconsidering if I want to stay at WA. The only reason I see people paying for WA now is because of the brand.
Yes, with all the amazing options in the Maldives it makes little sense to actually pay for a property like WA (or even Conrad for that matter, unless you find a very good rate) -- I bet most of the guests are either redemptions (on which they make money on transfers and F&B/other incidentals) of different kinds of package tours.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:31 am

Looking for some advice on food costs, we want to pay minimum prices whilst there. So far we've seen pizza, the chicken & fries to share but can anyone who has stayed there on a budget offer some more ideas for budget dining. Thx
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by WorldTravl
The only reason I see people paying for WA now is because of the brand.
​​​​​In my case, I don't care about thw WA brand but 1) good value for point redemption (120,000pts for OWV w/ new spacious interior compared to Conrad) and 2) a chance to try a new resort. So yeah in case of cash booking, I would be keen to find other options with greater lagoon and marine life.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Tilly71
Looking for some advice on food costs, we want to pay minimum prices whilst there. So far we've seen pizza, the chicken & fries to share but can anyone who has stayed there on a budget offer some more ideas for budget dining. Thx
To be frank: you're looking in the wrong place. This resort has set a new standard for not-able-to-be-done-on-a-budget properties.....unless you do what some others do and take instant noodles and chocolate bars. Ugh.

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Yes, with all the amazing options in the Maldives it makes little sense to actually pay for a property like WA (or even Conrad for that matter, unless you find a very good rate) -- I bet most of the guests are either redemptions (on which they make money on transfers and F&B/other incidentals) of different kinds of package tours.
I agree. A cash stay here is only for those who don't know any better or have money to burn. Most of the people paying cash here are Arabs, celebs and mainland Chinese (see this review a few pages back where, as a good example of what's being offered on the mainland as far as package deals go, they paid about 17K*+ all up for 5 nights for a family of 4 in a single room). Note that the Chinese are now a much bigger piece of the pie for new resorts. They are much fewer in number at places that have already been open for a couple of years or more. Cash-paying Westerners will be few and far between.

You mentioned the Conrad. On the up side here they occasionally have specials from around $350++ in low season (around 50% off), normally with 30-35% off you're still only looking at about $450-500++ which, considering their BVs have recently been re-decorated, is pretty good value. I'm pretty sure that this isn't going to last much longer though, as they will surely be raising their rates after the OWVs on Rangali Island have been replaced early to mid 2020.

* if you take out the return air tickets to China
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:31 am

I was looking for replies from people who have already stayed at the WA and their experiences of the best value dining options..😤
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:34 am

Have you looked at all the menus? They've already been posted. I've put links to all of them in the wiki. Like @alanslegal said
Originally Posted by alanslegal
In my entire life I have never paid $60 for a standard pizza or $55 for a bowl of noodles anywhere in the world but for this resort it is baseline.
Pizzas, noodles, salads etc are the cheapest things at any location and it's no exception here. Apart from appetizers & side dishes, eggs are the cheapest thing on the menu. Only $35.72 each. A steal by Ithaafushi's standards. So your baseline is going to be at bare minimum, $40++ for anything substantial, i.e; not an appetizer, side or drink.

Oh, the only other option (which would be a little difficult to pull off) is this one courtesy of our resident out-of-the-(kids)-box thinker, @WorldTravl. @:-)^ JK!

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 25, 2019 at 8:57 am Reason: Correction
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by rvlcr
thats what i’ve been thinking all along. this is exactly what happens when you pump artificial sand in the middle of a natural lagoon to create a fake looking, man made island. it’s not going to go well and just as we can see right here, the sand is not settling very well. if i we’re paying a cash rate of 2.000 for this resort i would be very peeved if this was then lagoon/beach i found outside my villa.

the beaches at the conrad, PHH, and W are MUCH MUCH nicer.

ive been to 6 resorts in the maldives and even cheap 4* ones come way way ahead than the waldorf when it comes to beach and lagoon beauty. which at the end of the day is why i fly 30+ hours across the world and is also why i will never ever visit the WA.
The Reethi Rah, another predominantly man-made resort, has a lot of the same beautiful colours but if you want a typical marine life and coral on your doorstep experience you're out of luck.

Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to posts from this thread, I was able to change my 2020 booking from BV to OWV without charge. As website still allows point bookings for BV, you can effectively choose between BV, RV and OWV for 120K for 2020 bookings. I don't think this will last.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:31 am

So far we have these 2 pics of Yasmeen's menu. The first one from @Stivelio and the second from @Traveler Dave

They are both $148++ but the first one says 'SET MENU B' and the other says 'SET MENU'. I'm wondering if there is a 'SET MENU A' or whether the A & B options were discontinued as Traveler Dave's one is the more recent photo as far as I can tell. There are also the differences of:
1. Having a fruit platter and the choice of 2 additional desserts for dessert in the first one and only 1 dessert in the second
2. A choice of 4 mains in the first one but only 3 in the second
3. 5 options for cold mezze in the first one but only 3 in the second
Once we figure it out I know which I should link to in the wiki. Input if you will. TIA.

Oh wait.....I know the answer! It's easy. Cost cutting is already in place and the one with the least options is the one that's current, LOL.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
So far we have these 2 pics of Yasmeen's menu. The first one from @Stivelio and the second from @Traveler Dave

They are both $148++ but the first one says 'SET MENU B' and the other says 'SET MENU'. I'm wondering if there is a 'SET MENU A' or whether the A & B options were discontinued as Traveler Dave's one is the more recent photo as far as I can tell. There are also the differences of:
1. Having a fruit platter and the choice of 2 additional desserts for dessert in the first one and only 1 dessert in the second
2. A choice of 4 mains in the first one but only 3 in the second
3. 5 options for cold mezze in the first one but only 3 in the second
Once we figure it out I know which I should link to in the wiki. Input if you will. TIA.

Oh wait.....I know the answer! It's easy. Cost cutting is already in place and the one with the least options is the one that's current, LOL.
Mine was from July 19th if that helps...

TD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.