Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Conrad New York Midtown {US-NY} (formerly The London NYC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad New York Midtown {US-NY} (formerly The London NYC)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
New York is probably Hilton's worst big city quality issue. Virtually all of its properties in the city are dumps, with poor service to match buildings that are run down or just nasty. Three possible exceptions: the Millennium opposite the UN, and, as others have mentioned, the Conrad and the Renwick (though the Renwick feels more like a place to stay for leisure than business).
this!
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
New York is probably Hilton's worst big city quality issue. Virtually all of its properties in the city are dumps, with poor service to match buildings that are run down or just nasty. Three possible exceptions: the Millennium opposite the UN, and, as others have mentioned, the Conrad and the Renwick (though the Renwick feels more like a place to stay for leisure than business).
While I certainly don't disagree one option although technically no longer part of Hilton Hotels is the 57th St HGVC and the HCNY on 6th (mid town). I have stayed at both and they are not bad. In fact I have had unbelievable rooms at the 57th St location and have only stayed once at HCNY but it was very nice.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
New York is probably Hilton's worst big city quality issue. Virtually all of its properties in the city are dumps, with poor service to match buildings that are run down or just nasty.
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Agreed, the NYC properties are disgraceful!!!
While the location will be undesirable for some, Hilton Times Square is by no means a "dump." Millennium Hilton New York Downtown could use a freshening, but it's still not a bad property. New York Hilton Midtown is relatively recently renovated, but simply too big and impersonal to recommend for non-convention stays.

Haven't tried any of the DoubleTrees, and I avoid limited-service brands in large cities with full-service options, so can't speak to the various Hamptons or HGIs, either.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Honestly, all the major chains have their issues in NYC. SPG has two good, but very expensive properties uptown (Chatawal and St. Regis). All other SPG properties have major flaws/downsides. Marriott is very similar, with Essex House and the Ritz on CPS, and then a whole bunch of compromises elsewhere in Manhattan. Hyatt used to be great, but both Andazes and the Union Square property have gone way downhill, and PH NYC is deeply flawed. IHG, I'm not even sure what properties they have in NYC, certainly nowhere I've ever considered staying.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Travel4Love
I just stayed here. At check-in I was given a welcome letter stating Diamond benefits as 1.000 bonus points, 2 bottles of water per stay, 30$ per person per day towards breakfast. As others remarked, the lobby and restaurant are quite dark, maybe trying to hide that the whole place is a bit worn out. Check-in staff was very friendly and polite, restaurant staff somewhat indifferent. Breakfast buffet has gone up to $39. Event though the buffet looked really good I opted for the 40$ Maine lobster Benedict, which was fabulous, highly recommended.
thank you for your review. We are actually spending 3 nights here in Oct, despite the bad reviews it gets. Can you confirm with the breakfast situation if they are just charging the whole total to your room and then taking the credit off at the end? I had heard this has been the practice in the past and difficult at times to get them to apply the credits at the end and adjust the total charge. Also curious if you can use the $30 credit towards room service breakfast or if you have to eat downstairs in the restaurant? Are there any restrictions with what you can order when using the vouchers or apply the credit at the end?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: SK Gold
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
thank you for your review. We are actually spending 3 nights here in Oct, despite the bad reviews it gets. Can you confirm with the breakfast situation if they are just charging the whole total to your room and then taking the credit off at the end? I had heard this has been the practice in the past and difficult at times to get them to apply the credits at the end and adjust the total charge. Also curious if you can use the $30 credit towards room service breakfast or if you have to eat downstairs in the restaurant? Are there any restrictions with what you can order when using the vouchers or apply the credit at the end?
You are not given vouchers, you just get the credit taken off at checkout. My final bill didn't show the restaurant charges specifically as breakfast, it just said "London restaurant". So I guess one could also apply the credit to any other meals taken in the restaurant, if one didn't feel like having breakfast. I did not ask about room service, but it seems logical that is included, too.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
In the past, when we've woken up too late, we've been able to apply the daily breakfast credit towards lunch, since it still shows up on the folio as "LONDON RESTAURANT". Room service showed up as "IN-ROOM DINING", so it's unlikely that they would let you apply the breakfast credit towards those charges.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:06 am

Any recent stays here? I'm wondering if the quality has started to improve yet, or if they've made anymore announcements about the renovations that are supposed to start next month.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I stayed for the night a few weeks back. No renovations and no improvements. The rooms are still reasonably nice, but dated. The worst thing for me was service generally in the hotel, including the restaurant. It was rather cold and impersonal. I wasn’t a fan...
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
I stayed for the night a few weeks back. No renovations and no improvements. The rooms are still reasonably nice, but dated. The worst thing for me was service generally in the hotel, including the restaurant. It was rather cold and impersonal. I wasn’t a fan...
That's what I was worried about. Thank you! I'll have to wait a few months and see if renovations and retraining actually start.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Copa ConnectMiles Platinum, United Gold
Staying here this week. Rooms are HUGE for NY standards and I'm guessing that's what they base their pricing on. Rooms and overall property feel dated for sure. I do agree with other reviews mentioning service is not up to a luxury brand standard. I spent one night this week at a Hilton Garden Inn nearby and the service I received there was MILES ahead the one at the London. Definitely won't be coming back until it's renovated and staff gets trained or replaced.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:30 am

On the bright side, the longtime general manager of Conrad New York transferred to The London NYC when Hilton assumed management of the property. He'd also previously managed The Peninsula New York, overseeing a renovation there. His appointment bodes well for the future Conrad New York Midtown, I think, as the downtown property has been well managed and maintained since its 2012 debut.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by MS02113
On the bright side, the longtime general manager of Conrad New York transferred to The London NYC when Hilton assumed management of the property. He'd also previously managed The Peninsula New York, overseeing a renovation there. His appointment bodes well for the future Conrad New York Midtown, I think, as the downtown property has been well managed and maintained since its 2012 debut.
If he has been there since then wouldn't one assume that the "service" issues people are reporting shouldn't exist. He doesn't need to wait till the hotel is renovated to get service levels up!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
If he has been there since then wouldn't one assume that the "service" issues people are reporting shouldn't exist. He doesn't need to wait till the hotel is renovated to get service levels up!
True, but perhaps he's preoccupied with renovation preparation and will shift to employee retraining once construction is underway. I don't consider the service at Conrad New York fantastic or anything, but it's certainly professional, competent, and courteous. If he can replicate at The London NYC, sounds like it would be a big improvement.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: DL Plat
conrad amex offer-london nyc

I have an amex offer for $70 off $350+ spend at WA or Conrad hotels. Does anyone know if the London NYC would qualify for this promotion? It seems as of now its a pseudo-Conrad property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.