Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Darcy Washington DC, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-DC} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Darcy Washington DC, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-DC} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit

I wonder if Hilton is about to cut DTs out of the Hilton family?
Considering that Hilton has just invested a lot of time in money rebranding, and starting to refurbish, all Doubletrees - I doubt it.

I think your troubles may be specific to this hotel. The Doubletrees that I have stayed in recently - most notably the Doubletree at IAH - have had outstanding service.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Wonder if others have had DT bad experiences of late. A few weeks ago I had an awful stay at the DT on New Hampshire Avenue in D.C. The manager never responded to my e-mail of specific concderns. They have a non-trained staff.

I wonder if Hilton is about to cut DTs out of the Hilton family?
It is a huge mistake to make (positive or negative) judgments about an entire hotel brand on the basis of one data point at one property. Every brand marque encompasses great properties and terrible ones. Some have great staff but bad / dated / shabby physical setting, some vice versa... it varies. Write off the NH Avenue DT if you want but it would be silly to assess the DT IAH, or any of the others, on that basis.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:20 pm

The OP is a great example of a mis-named thread that makes a gross generalization from one specific experience.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:55 pm

OMG
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I have been satisfied enough with my recent DT experiences that they get high consideration when they are convenient to my work. (Specifically: Tampa Westshore, Niagara Falls ONT, and Memphis just off Poplar near Germantown.)
Old Nov 27, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
i have stayed here before. will actually be there this week. never had any issues. what was so bad about your stay?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
See now if the OP just made a powerpoint it would be funnier.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ree-event.html
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I stayed here last June for 4 nights and I must say the staff was excellent. Everyone was friendly and helpful especially Allen whom was at the front desk in the evenings. I did send a thankyou fax to the GM afterwards. The GM did not respond to my fax, which i was a little supporsed at but the hotel was great they even sent a beer and pretzels to my room right after check in as a welcome gift.
The OP should try some hotels in San diego if they want to really see what poor service is.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I stayed there last year and had no problems. Good property and staff. I have become a fan of the Washington Hilton though for my DC stays, but I wouldn't hesitate returning to the DT.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
Anyone stayed at this property recently? The rate is good for a weekend I'm looking at and the amex $40 off $175 will help as well. Was going to compare it to the nearby HGI's and Capital Hilton. Hoping for full breakfast (I am diamond) and any room with two beds. Not too worried about anything else except where to park.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
Stayed here this weekend and had a great stay. Was upgraded to a nice suite with fridge and free large water bottles. The diamond breakfast is great, either buffet or order of the menu. Don't see the order off the menu option often so I enjoyed that. Was able to find free street parking right by the hotel so that was nice.
Old May 17, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
DT by Hilton now rebranded as The Darcy. Anyone stayed since the switch?

Hello all - reviving an ancient thread to ask if anyone has stayed at the property formerly known as the DT by Hilton Hotel Washington DC since it's been changed into "The Darcy"?

Thanks in advance for any more recent data points here!
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Arrow The Darcy Washington DC, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-DC}

This is the remodelled and completely refitted successor to the Doubletree Washington DC in Rhode Island Avenue, by Scott Circle, off 16th Street, all NW.

Previous thread here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-dc-us-dc.html

I had a few days here this weekend, and I thought I'd launch the thread with a few pointers from me.

Location: good for my purposes. It is 10 minutes walk from McPherson Square metro, on the Blue line from DCA Reagan Airport. Use the White House exit, but once on street level go the opposite direction to the White House up 15th St.

Welcome / staff: Consistent good to superb across the board. All staff fully engaged and welcoming. Water and popcorn offered. Breakfast vouchers and wifi code too.

Room: No upgrade offered, sought or needed. No room map on the App or Hilton.com anyway. First room (729) overlooked a noisy a/c turbine outside the window, so I asked for and got another room, which was a bit quieter (335) but still subject noisy room a/c - loud enough to be heard from adjoining rooms. However living as I do where a/c is never required, my tolerance of this is probably extra low! Room 335 was fine, beautifully equipped, comfortable bed, small bathroom but good shower and not too pokey. High standard of fittings.

Vicinity: A couple of blocks away is a good variety of shops and restaurants, and a Whole Foods as well as a 7-11. P Ave by 14 St area.

Wifi: Didn't test for speed but fast enough for everyday use. Probably not sufficient for video streaming at higher specs.

Breakfast: Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear. I thought I had met my match at the Vegas Tropicana, but step forward The Darcy for offering the worst breakfast option I've just to come across even by the sorry standards of US Hiltons. In the case of the Trop I can understand it, if you're giving rooms away at $44 then there is little space to even give a money off voucher. The Darcy has no such excuse. Here is the sum total of what you can have: just 3 items and orange juice: cut fruit (2 of which are melon), yoghurt, Danish. The tea and coffee are complimentary for everyone. No cereals, no bread, no toast, no bananas, no cheese, no cut meats. You are allowed a small pot of jam on your croissant, but not butter.

Bagel? Well yes, but that is on the hot breakfast option ($28 compared to nominal $14 for this Continental breakfast, no subsidy for Diamonds). Now the staff looked a bit worried if you stole a bagel from that table (don't ask, don't tell principle) but that was the level of parsimony at play here. I haven't yet encountered a continent where this could be called a Continental breakfast.

I did raise it at check-out. The agent immediately grab a sheet of paper and hid her face in embarrassment as soon as I uttered the words "Diamond breakfast" - before I got to the points raised above. So they truly know it's not good. She did say they were "about to" open a new restaurant concession next door in "a few days", called Lil'B Bakery. The only trouble with that is that my Diamond colleagues were told exactly the same thing last week and separately the week before. So, make of that what you will.

She also said that there are good breakfast options near by, which at weekends is true in terms of the brunch options mid morning onwards. In terms of a breakfast at 07:00 hrs for us wage-slaves, there is nothing in the immediate vicinity. She did apologise but she did admit she had to offer this apology quite regularly.

How to wreck your reputation by cheese paring. If there was cheese to begin with, that is.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Thanks for the review. Now I'll be sure definitely not to stay here. You should send a note to Honors Representative or Customer Care about this awful, miserly breakfast.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:05 pm
jrx
Hilton Contributor Badge

Ditto on being sure not to stay here. I really like Curio properties, and this is a huge disappointment. Even the Hampton Inn has better variety than this. My most recent Curio stays (Campbell House - Lexington KY, and St. Louis Union Station) both offered large spreads with many hot and cold items.

It's really pathetic that I can browse through hotels on the app, pick one with nice rooms, and then have to call the property to determine if the breakfast is acceptable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.