Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Darcy Washington DC, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-DC} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Darcy Washington DC, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-DC} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH Silver
Doubletree Washington DC - another Gold experience

Hi all - I just returned yesterday from a two night stay at this property.

As a HHGold, I received:

- Upgraded room (Room 812), top floor facing the street.
- Gift basket of goodies same as OP
- Free breakfast (although the coupons were not enclosed in the welcome letter from the GM as was indicated - but a quick trip to the front desk fixed that).
- The breakfast was as listed above (oatmeal with raisins, coffee, big juice, fruit) or could order off menu with a $10 credit.
- Free water that was in room.
- Four chocolates when I returned to my room after day one.
- Stupidly, I did not ask about free internet and paid instead - rookie mistake, but it was $12.95 for 24 hours of wireless which was fine for my needs.
- Late check out to 1pm

As was noted above, the hotel is not in a very busy area. On day two after returning to my room around 7 pm, I asked the concierge for places to walk to for talk out. He didn't give me great info and I wandered a two block+ radius, but most food choices are only open for lunch. I was tired and hungry, so I returned to the hotel for room service which was fine.

It is a short walk to the Metro which was not a big deal since I mostly took taxis.

I didn't mind the elevator. I have been on worse. There is a bank of three elevators but there are only 8 floors.

The gym was fairly typical - one room, tv, two treadmills, couple stairmasters, bikes and a nautilus machine.

All in all, a great value at $103+ per night and I would stay there again. Keep in mind, this was a Monday and Tuesday night stay so the upgrade may have been easier to get as well as the great price.

But, thank you to this post because it helped make my decision to stay here and I am glad I chose the Doubletree.

- Enjoy!
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Post Doubletree Washington, DC - Trip Report

After reading some favorable comments I decided to stay at this property for one night during the long Presidents’ day week.

The hotel is in a great location on Rhode Island (at Scott Circle), with a wide array of restaurants, shopping and sites nearby and a short 5/10 minute walk to Dupont Circle. In addition, there are two metro stations within a 5/10 walk.

I wanted to check-in at about 2pm, but was asked to wait for 20 minutes by an apologetic staff as they were trying to check-in two foreign presidents and their entourages. I was assigned and “executive room” (Jr. Suite), that had a wet bar, separate sitting area that included a pull out sofa, LARGE bathroom with a huge tub and with view of Scott circle. (note: some rooms have a divider that separates the living and sleeping areas). I was also given breakfast coupons, without having to ask.

The lobby is comfortable, open space which opens up to the lounge & bar. The restaurant is right around the corner with a great (breakfast) menu with excellent service.

SUMMARY
Check-in/check-out
Quick, and easy. Very attentive and friendly staff, who seems pretty knowledgeable of the Hhonors program.
As a Diamond I was upgraded
Concierge was attentive and knowledgeable of the area.

Common Areas ^
Clean, entry, lobby, and check in area
Spacious Bar & Lounge area
Fast elevators to guest rooms
Nice furniture, clean & quite hallways leading to guest rooms.
No “business center” but there are two “pay to use” PCs on the 2nd Floor

Guest Rooms ^
Large, clean with so-so light
small work station with plenty of electrical sockets
Wetbar. Was told the $5 bottle of water is free
Sweet Dreams Bed
Well kept furniture.
Couldn’t hear a thing from the adjoining room, the people next door actually had a party & came over to appolgive for the yelling/loud noise. I heard nothing!
I suspect suite upgrades will be hard to come by at this property, as there are not many.
Housekeeping staff was great; room was was clean.
Shortly after arrival I received a “welcome giftNote: not sure if this is the norm or due to Diamond Status.
Not much of a view from the room.

Guest Room Bathrooms ^
HUGE bathroom, two or three people could be in it at one time
Average size vanity, with average counter space
Huge shower & round deep soaking tube
Lots AND lots of face, hand & body towels
Large mirror
Typical doubletree toiletries

Executive Lounge
This property does not have a lounge

Fitness Center ^
Complimentary 24-hour fitness center with free weights, treadmills and cardio machines

Pool
No pool at this property

HSIA/Wireless Internet ^
Complimentary wireless throughout the hotel. Diamond members who need wired access are given a code for access. The service was fast.

Business Center
The property states it has a host of services, I guess you must enquire with the front desk as to how thing work. All I saw was two "pay for use" PCs

Concierge
There is a concierge on staff, but I didn’t use them

Parking/Valet ^ ^
Expensive as H*ll, like every hotel in DC, but VERY fast. I called as I was walking out of my room, by I requested a final bill and walked out the front door, the car was there.

Dining ^
Used HHonors coupon, on any meal on the menu in the restaurant (www.15ria.com) which was great.
The breakfast menu had a good selection
Attentive staff

Would I return? Yes, without hesitation
Would I recommend? Yes,
Would I recommend restaurant? Yes
Value for price paid? Excellent. Since the Hilton Tower and Capital Hilton are sky high and the HGI was the exact same price.

Overall property rating on a scale from 1 to 10 = 9

Last edited by KENNECTED; Feb 23, 2006 at 1:35 am
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Great review! I am still staying there, but I think this is my last week since I can't get a decent rate anymore
Old Jul 11, 2006, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Doubletree Guest Suites D.C. Carpet and Wall Vinyll installation

New carpet and vinyl wallpaper is being installed in the hallways of the Doubletree Guest Suites in D.C. Letter provided on checkin said "beginning on July 6,2006" . Its July 11 and they are still working. When I checked in and went to find my room there were no room numbers because the room numbers were on plaques next to each door which had been removed for the wallpaper installation. The wall light sconces by each door were hanging from their electrical wires but were lit. They have since taped paper to each door with the room number. No noticable constuction noise 6PM-8AM but I'm gone during the day.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 9:14 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Doubletree in DC

Hi All: My grandson is graduating from George Washington University in DC in May of 07. We just got the date and most of the hotels are sold out already. I was able to get a reservation for the Doubletree Suites at 1515 Rhode Island Avenue. Can anyone give me some information on this place: size of the suites (will four of us be comfortable in a suite?), the general ambiance of the place and the distance to the White House Lawn where the actual graduation is taking place? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Marysunshine
Hi All: My grandson is graduating from George Washington University in DC in May of 07. We just got the date and most of the hotels are sold out already. I was able to get a reservation for the Doubletree Suites at 1515 Rhode Island Avenue. Can anyone give me some information on this place: size of the suites (will four of us be comfortable in a suite?), the general ambiance of the place and the distance to the White House Lawn where the actual graduation is taking place? Thanks in advance for any help.
Unless someone has some REAL good Republican connections, the graduation probably isn't on the White House Lawn. But close enough, it's probably on the Ellipse across the street, I think that's where GW usually holds their ceremony. In any event, it's a "healthy hike" from there to your hotel, I'm guessing about a mile more or less. Sorry I can't offer much on the hotel, haven't stayed there.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:21 pm
Community Director Emerita

Here's a thread that has some really good information on the hotel.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 7:24 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, US Airways Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz 5 star
Doubletree Rhode Island DC

I stayed at this hotel for a week a few months ago and was highly disappointed. The rooms are not all suites, and even being diamond, I still received a standard room. It was very very tiny, very small bathroom and tub. Housekeeping was touch and go anytime you needed extra towels, etc. Room service menu is very slow and extremely overpriced. Try an Embassy suites, either in DC or Crystal City, or my personal favorite, Alexandria King Street. With the metro, its a very short trip to yourf destination from any of the ES properties. BTW, if you are not renting a car, it is a bit of a hike from the metro to the DT. About 8 blocks, and with this heat, whew!!!
Old Aug 5, 2006, 7:43 pm

Programs: AAExecPlat MM, DL MM, HH Platinum
I stayed at that Doubletree two weeks ago and didn't like it. Old, somewhat shabby, restaurant was pricey and slow, and 5-6 blocks to metro. I had what was called a suite, and it appeared to be two smaller hotel rooms with the wall between knocked out. That building must have been an apartment building at one time. Forget it.

I still think the Hilton Garden Inn at Franklin Square is one of the best values--across the street from the metro, maybe 3 blocks from the White House. See if they have adjoining rooms. And agree that Embassy Suites in Alexandria across from the metro is great.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 6:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
Agree with what's been said, that Doubletree is tired.
I go to DC 20-30 times a year on business and once or twice for leisure (why? hmm, well ..)
When it's going to be booked solid is predicatable. Graduation time. The last three weeks of July.
During those times, I search for hotels out the Metro orange line and blue line in Virginia. For example, the Embassy Suites and the Hampton at the blue line King Street stop, though they would be popular at graduation time.
Another possibility is the Embassy Suites at Crystal City. A bit of a walk to the Metro stop, but if you ask directions you can do half that walk in air-conditioned comfort. Since it's outside the cluster of hotels around the Metro stop, you might have a chance.
Also try places in Rosslyn, which gets you just outside the cluster of hotels surrounding GWU.

also try this:
http://www.wdcahotels.com/state-plaz...washington.asp

It's old, but the restaurant is nice -- kind of a neighborhood hangout. Just off the south side of GWU. Designed for extended stays. Rooms are large and have full kitchens. Four people would do fine.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 9:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Platinum, American Platinum, Air Canada 25K
As mentioned on a previous post, try the Hilton Garden Inn at 815 14th st. It is close the orange and blue lines and near the city connector bus that goes across town into areas the metro misses.

I used to live in DC. forget parking, you have to take the Metro.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:01 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
I generally disagree.
I stayed in this hotel as a gold in mid June. I was upgraded to the 7th floor which was an L shaped suite with the bathroom and closets filling out the rest of the area. It was rather new looking although that is just my opinion. Decent sized suite complete with an actual dining set and new flat panel tv.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:08 am

Smile

Originally Posted by tenmoc
I generally disagree.
I stayed in this hotel as a gold in mid June. I was upgraded to the 7th floor which was an L shaped suite with the bathroom and closets filling out the rest of the area. It was rather new looking although that is just my opinion. Decent sized suite complete with an actual dining set and new flat panel tv.

:-: I agree our suite was rather nice. It also had a living room area and a large bath tub big enough for two. It is about 4 blocks away from the metro and 6 from the whitehouse. There's lots to see and do within a few blocks of this hotel. Also the restaurant in the hotel mia15 is great and you can trade up your continental breakfast to order off of the menu. I highly reccomend the eggs benedict. :-:
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH Silver
Hi all - SanDiego1K did list the link that included my review of this property. I did like the property and I am considering staying there again soon for an early September visit.

Good luck.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:02 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by cpicard
Hi all - SanDiego1K did list the link that included my review of this property. I did like the property and I am considering staying there again soon for an early September visit.

Good luck.
I too was looking at a return visit here in September. However at the new prices listed for the dates I need (about $170.) I will be looking elsewhere.
For the sub $100 I had last time its a no brainer to return here. For what I would pay at other hotels I'd rather try out new places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.