Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Darcy Washington DC, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-DC} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Darcy Washington DC, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-DC} (no longer Honors)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by CMK10
For the record, the hotel is a 2.0 mile (40 minute walk) from the Air and Space Museum, 1.4 miles (28 minute walk) from the Washington Monument, 1.6 mile (33 minute walk) to the Newseum.

That isn't "for the record" as people walk at different paces and many different directions. Having said that, it only took me and two friends 25 min to walk from the Westin City Center to the Botanical Gardens.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:13 pm

"For the record", here's an insider tip for some of you guys...there is more to D.C. than The Mall and "major tourist sites".
KENNECTED and coffee18 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
All this because I said the location wasn't the best for touring DC. I stand by that statement as you are a half mile walk to the nearest Metro station.

I'm also well aware that there's more to DC than The Mall and major tourist sites, like I said I was there for a Nationals game.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I noticed this link to the design of The Darcy in Wallpaper:

https://www.wallpaper.com/travel/usa...tels/the-darcy

Extract:
"This hotel, previously a Double Tree by Hilton has been given a makeover by Los Angeles-based firm Beleco to reemerge as the The Darcy. There’s a strong masculine aesthetic throughout the public spaces – no surprise considering the designers were inspired by men’s tailoring and classic British private clubs – but there are plenty of quirky design moments, too; In the lobby, beautifully cross-stitched leather reception desks and a black-painted brick wall are juxtaposed by a gold sculpture of an American Beauty rose, DC’s official flower. "
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
What is it with the beds being only about two feet off the ground? They sleep the same as "normal" beds, but just sorta odd. Is this supposed to be trendy?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Stayed here recently with my fiance. I'd agree with whoever said it's not the best location for tourism, but if you're here for business in the area of Dupont Circle or the like, I imagine it's a great location.

We had a great stay overall, but the one huge and glaring downside for me was the lack of coffee makers in the hotel rooms. They're advertised on the website, and I need my coffee when I'm running out for a conference in the morning. I asked about in the evening and they told me to call down in the morning, as "housekeeping has coffeemakers." I did, but it took them half an hour to bring it, by which point I had to be leaving. Spent a couple of minutes making coffee and taking it with me in their crappy cup (the lid didn't fit) and had to have the valet outside bring me a new cup before I spilled coffee all over the car.

In regards to wifi speed, fiance and I both watched Netflix/Hulu at the same time and had no issues with streaming using the regular wifi included in the room rate.

Welcomed as an elite member (silver) and they automatically brought out two refreshingly cold water bottles. Our room was also ready an hour before check-in time, and this was the Thursday before labor day weekend.

Overall not a bad hotel, and I haven't stayed in many other Curios, but I did get the sense that it felt like a renovated Doubletree more than its own brand.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Curios are basically nicer Doubletrees without the cookies and often a less substantial breakfast benefit.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:25 am

I stayed here for a five day work trip recently. I liked this place back when it was the Doubletree - good location for business close to Dupont and right around the corner from restaurants/grocery/pharmacy on P street, and I got upgrades fairly frequently as a Gold.

Aesthetically it's very pleasing now. There's a teal and mustard scheme in much of the hotel, with the lobby and restaurant having a lot of wood and navy. I booked a regular room, but after asking at checkin was upgraded to a junior suite. The suite was very nice - an area for eating/working, a space with a sofa and chair, and then the bed and bathroom. It was the same size as the junior suites as the old doubletree, but otherwise everything looked new to me. The shower was a rainshower (no tub) and the bed was extremely comfortable.

I forgot to do a wifi speed test, but seemed fast enough to me. I was streaming Netflix one night and didn't notice any problems.

I have mixed feelings about the breakfast benefit. The old Doubletree buffet was unremarkable - lots of food but none of it (IMO) particularly tasty. Now, as a gold I got a $10 off coupon per day at the attached Lil' B Coffee shop. The coffee and espresso drinks here start at $2.50, and there's a very limited menu of hot food ( menu: http://www.thedarcyhotel.com/content/pdfs/lil-b-menu.pdf) plus some pastries and yogurt. FWIW I tried a few different pastries over the course of my stay and liked them all, and the coffee was good too. The coupons also say they can be used all day, so it's probably possible to use them for lunch sandwiches as well. There are still pancakes, omelettes, and a few other things available on the room service menu so it is still possible to get a bigger breakfast if you're willing to pay room service prices.

Staff was friendly and helpful, no complaints there. They mentioned that there's a free gin cocktail served in the lobby ~6 pm, which I managed to miss each day.

The Doubletree was one of the lower priced options in the Dupont area but looking at a few dates in the future it looks like this is no longer the case. Still, I'd stay here again if I could get a good rate.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:17 pm

Isn’t Gold benefit at Curios continental breakfast?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by joetro
Isn’t Gold benefit at Curios continental breakfast?
This Darcy Curio gave me a voucher for some crappy breakfast (with stale muffins and yogurt) - one table designated as a breakfast for loyal guests, and another one had some hot food (almost non-existent, yet not available for Diamonds).

In my opinion, Darcy is a very crappy hotel with a questionable location. If you want to stay in that area, but closer to White House, metro, etc, then Crown Plaza/Hamilton is much better option - as Platinum, the value received compared to Curio (including comfort and service) is not in Darcy Curio favor. I would say out of 100 nights in hotels last year, that was the worst one.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:52 am

Odd, we really enjoyed our stay there. I thought the hotel design was great and we were able to walk to some of the best craft beer bars in the city. It was really cold during our visit so we just took a quick Uber to the sights and did our thing. I found the location to be just fine but I'm totally okay with walking, public transport, and ride services. Our room was quiet and comfortable. We did coffee and pastries for breakfast one morning and then spent the morning in after a very late night at the bar and used our coupons to Lil B for some great lunch sandwiches. I was over 100 nights last year as well and I would be a very lucky person if the Darcy was even in my bottom half. I cannot imagine thinking it was worse than a Hampton Inn off of some highway in Ohio or some other random place I usually end up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.