Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Family MVP Rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Family MVP Rate

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've seen the new language across many cities, they have been changed to the more restrictive language.

Luckily I was spooked a while back and printed out the "old" language for all my upcoming reservations, most of which just said "MVP, HHonors number required" - I never did book any of the Sports language ones. But almost every one of the simple "MVP, HHonors number required" has now been changed to the Sports language.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
On many systems the "rate details" are maintained in a central file with a rate code in the actual reservation record. So once they update the indexed file all attached reservations are automatically updated. By keeping a screen shot or your email confirmation handy at check-in can quickly resolve issue where the system is only showing the current info.

What has been the experience when checking in? When MVP first appeared these same terms were present across the board and I was never asked for any special ID. Since then the program migrated to be open for any HH member and only needed to be requested. I suspect some old files have been put back into play and is not a deliberate act by HH. Regardless, it is so simple to join a qualifying organization for a very low fee (from free to $20?).
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, CCarlson Silver
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I've seen the new language across many cities, they have been changed to the more restrictive language.

Luckily I was spooked a while back and printed out the "old" language for all my upcoming reservations, most of which just said "MVP, HHonors number required" - I never did book any of the Sports language ones. But almost every one of the simple "MVP, HHonors number required" has now been changed to the Sports language.
Just another data point - Made a reservation Dec 10 at an HGI in VA, went back today to see if I went to book the room today what the rate rules would be, and the new verbiage was present. This is for a future Feb 2016 stay. I've never been asked for credentials, at least this year, and the majority of my stays were MVP. I do have UPA/APA membership cards, and I'll have a USGA one for the coming year, just in case.

An aside on AAA/etc vs MVP rates - one of the HGIs in Raleigh I've stayed at has been having the AARP rate below the MVP rate, at least for some weekend stays. (see Jan 9, 1nt, $79 vs $74 for AARP).

Last edited by WoofusMaximus; Dec 21, 2015 at 8:53 am Reason: had to clarify data point statement
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:52 am

Everyone has their own level of comfort. Paying for a golf, tennis or bowling card does not make me a:

"valued, coach, leader or participant of group travel for sports..."
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Everyone has their own level of comfort. Paying for a golf, tennis or bowling card does not make me a:

Just to offer some comfort here, your membership provides the organization with additional funding (yes, not huge) to be able to accomplish their goals. Some would call that highly valued!

Everyone needs to live with their choices in life. If this is outside your comfort zone, fine. There are other options, if you are so inclined. i.e. AARP is not just for seniors... Just like AAA is not just for car owners.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:03 am

We do legitimately qualify for Senior and AAA rates, just that the MVP was always less.

But I can live with a little more.

Even though I agree it is rarely if every enforced - especially now with OLCI, you go to the desk and get your key - no questions asked.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, CCarlson Silver

....and of course, on the same page, two paragraphs down, it says:

"Please note: You must be an athletic administrator, athlete, or affiliated with a sports entity, sports-related company, sports group or event to be eligible."

- as well as the rate rules verbiage. Which causes the inevitable shrugs and quizzical looks, at least to me.

(full disclosure: I do qualify for AAA/AARP discounts, and have used those along w/the Gold Medal rate this year at hotels this year. I can certainly use those if they are going to go to this stricter language easily enough)
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Just to offer some comfort here, your membership provides the organization with additional funding (yes, not huge) to be able to accomplish their goals. Some would call that highly valued!

Everyone needs to live with their choices in life. If this is outside your comfort zone, fine. There are other options, if you are so inclined. i.e. AARP is not just for seniors... Just like AAA is not just for car owners.
Absolutely.
Lesser known sports want to increase membership numbers so new members are more than welcome even if you are not an active participant.
Many are funded based on membership so it's not only your direct fee contribution but the additional money they receive from USOC etc...

For example there is $45 "contributor" table tennis membership for those who just want to support the sport without actively playing in events

http://www.teamusa.org/usa-table-ten...att/join-today
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Staying at a HGI at the moment. Booked late last week with the new wording. Checked-in Sunday morning, no issues at all.

When was the last time you had a Hilton chain hotel ask for ANY ID? In hundreds of stays I don't think I ever have...
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I guess I have a little bit of a problem taking advantage of something I am not eligible for. I had no problem (and will continue to have no problem) booking MVP when it said the only requirement was the HH number. But with this new wording on some brands which clearly states who can use it and what sort of credentials need to be shown, I no longer qualify for it. I feel it is not right for me to "hope the clerk does not ask for any additional ID" and get away with getting a discount that I am clearly not eligible to receive per the rate details at most/all Hilton, Homewood, and Hilton Garden Inn properties now.

I also would hate to "try to get one past the clerk" and roll the dice on the clerk not asking for ID, then the clerk later get in trouble for providing a discount to someone who is not authorized to receive it. I'd rather pay the extra $20 than have a clerk get in trouble, written up, or fired.

It just isn't right.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
As long as it says this

You must be ...affiliated with a sports entity...to be eligible."
the bar really is pretty low.

And a USGA membership (or other such) is "affiliated with a sports entity."

My own conscience is quite clear.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by WoofusMaximus
"Please note: You must be an athletic administrator, athlete, or affiliated with a sports entity, sports-related company, sports group or event to be eligible."
Affiliated with a sports group: Soccer mom. Will political operative classification suffice?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:30 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
the bar really is pretty low.

And a USGA membership (or other such) is "affiliated with a sports entity."

My own conscience is quite clear.
+1

Definition of Affiliated from Dictionary.com:

"being in close formal or informal association;" [emphasis added]
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well, I'm an active scuba diver, associated with PADI, so I think I'm in good shape. Just have to start carrying my c card.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by docbert
Staying at a HGI at the moment. Booked late last week with the new wording. Checked-in Sunday morning, no issues at all.

When was the last time you had a Hilton chain hotel ask for ANY ID? In hundreds of stays I don't think I ever have...
I believe it's only Diamonds that get away without showing ID, and everyone else has to. Being FT, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.