Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Family MVP Rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Family MVP Rate

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by work2fly
No worries if you have a sports affiliation ID at check-in.

USGA membership is just $10

http://www.usga.org/clubhouse/default/members-join.html
Well obviously I don't have one or I wouldn't be asking LOL. I was thinking about getting that $10 membership but was curious if others have experience with places really asking, particular when this is listed in the rate.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by cdancer20
Well obviously I don't have one or I wouldn't be asking LOL. I was thinking about getting that $10 membership but was curious if others have experience with places really asking, particular when this is listed in the rate.
We've gone around this bend many times now. If you read the Wiki, or earlier posts, Most properties do not require any ID when using the MVP rate. The affiliation requirement is a very old part of MVP that has pretty much been eliminated and now seems to be reappearing. It's not known if that is intentional or accidental, and we may never know.

IF the rate details state special ID is required, be prepared to show something. Reading up-thread will link you to cheap or even free memberships that should qualify. Don't be surprised if they don't ask. If you'll disclose which property maybe someone will have a recent experience.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
We've gone around this bend many times now. If you read the Wiki, or earlier posts, Most properties do not require any ID when using the MVP rate. The affiliation requirement is a very old part of MVP that has pretty much been eliminated and now seems to be reappearing. It's not known if that is intentional or accidental, and we may never know.

IF the rate details state special ID is required, be prepared to show something. Reading up-thread will link you to cheap or even free memberships that should qualify. Don't be surprised if they don't ask. If you'll disclose which property maybe someone will have a recent experience.
I read through the thread many times, specifically since the MVP details chagne. Most mentioned that their rates did not specifically say ID required. That's why I asked. The property is Hilton Miami Downtown. I missed the mention of free memberships so I have searched the thread for that. Thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
Hilton Cracking down

Hey all,

I have been using the MVP code for a while now and have never had issue. I typically make sure I book at properties that don't include the verbiage regarding Sports Affiliation when booking, which besides Homewood Suites used to be very few.

However, in just the past week I have noticed what appears to be a near systemwide roll out of the following verbiage on the SRP:

"MVP PROGRAM HHONORS NUMBER AND SPORTS AFFILIATION REQUIRED.."

I went back and check properties where I stayed on MVP and know that verbiage didn't exist and now they do as of this week. These properties include Hilton SF Union Square and Hilton Financial, Hilton Washington DC, HGI NYC Midtown East.

Needless to say the USGA membership may become more of a necessity in the future, whereas in the past I have gotten by without.

Regards
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thank you, jwvw89!

And welcome to FlyerTalk! ^
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Deleted

Last edited by manneca; Dec 16, 2015 at 3:05 pm
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:06 pm

It looks like the landing page has changed. Language now says that you have to be connected in some way with sports. Wonder if my PADI card will work.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Even when available, MVP rate is not always the best. For an upcoming stay, I also checked AAA rate, was a few $$ less than MVP.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by manneca
It looks like the landing page has changed. Language now says that you have to be connected in some way with sports. Wonder if my PADI card will work.
Oh dear. This is getting grave. Here's some language in the rate details of a random MVP dummy booking I just did:

"...Individual sports traveler program. Travelers will have direct affiliation with professional sports clubs, collegiate athleticdepartments or amateur sports Associations. Features: Special rate. Subject to hotel availability..."

Time for me to join something. I can't bring myself to join USGA. I don't know any golf. I'd rather pay a little extra, have some peace of mind, and join/support something I actually know. Hello, American Poolplayers Association.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ruhr
Oh dear. This is getting grave.
No, it's not. The language you quote has been kicking around for some time, here and there.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I have also noticed a change in language from "MVP rate, HHonors number required" to the sport affiliation language. Particularly in the Boston area. Luckily all my already-made reservations only mention HHonors, and I have printed out "rate details" for those.

But I'm afraid. I'm very afraid.

And I have NEVER seen a AAA rate lower than an MVP rate.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I have also noticed a change in language from "MVP rate, HHonors number required" to the sport affiliation language. Particularly in the Boston area. Luckily all my already-made reservations only mention HHonors, and I have printed out "rate details" for those.

But I'm afraid. I'm very afraid.

Nor have I. The AAA rate is usually 5-10% less than the refundable rate. The MVP rate is usually 20% less. I see a language change too.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Neither have I, and I always check both. But sometimes MVP is unavailable and shows the regular rate, and AAA is available and less.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
Neither have I, and I always check both. But sometimes MVP is unavailable and shows the regular rate, and AAA is available and less.
When MVP (20%) is not available, I like to use the Gold Medal (15%) code. Sometimes that works instead.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
The AAA rate and the senior rate are when available less than the regular rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.