Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Family MVP Rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Family MVP Rate

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ruhr
When MVP (20%) is not available, I like to use the Gold Medal (15%) code. Sometimes that works instead.
Thanks. That's good to know
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
...And I have NEVER seen a AAA rate lower than an MVP rate.
Until a couple of days ago, neither had I. But one particular Homewood Suites I sometimes frequent had an AAA rate $10 less than MVP.

Very weird and unusual!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Until a couple of days ago, neither had I. But one particular Homewood Suites I sometimes frequent had an AAA rate $10 less than MVP.

Very weird and unusual!
I used to do Rev. Mgmt for Hilton. As a rule of thumb AAA/AARP are loaded at 10% off BAR, but can be no lower than 5% off. In low demand times, sometimes you will see individual properties bump AAA to 15-25% off to try and spur demand, but that is fairly uncommon.

MVP is always set at 20% off, however availability is housed in a lower level than AAA, hence why AAA is usually available if MVP is not.

Last edited by jwvw89; Dec 17, 2015 at 7:54 am
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I have also noticed a change in language from "MVP rate, HHonors number required" to the sport affiliation language. Particularly in the Boston area. Luckily all my already-made reservations only mention HHonors, and I have printed out "rate details" for those.

But I'm afraid. I'm very afraid.

And I have NEVER seen a AAA rate lower than an MVP rate.
+1 to all except the Boston part - only because it's my blind spot.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by manneca
Nor have I. The AAA rate is usually 5-10% less than the refundable rate. The MVP rate is usually 20% less. I see a language change too.
Check DT Reid Park (Tucson, Az) in the first half of Jan.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by diver858
Check DT Reid Park (Tucson, Az) in the first half of Jan.
Just looked. There are no MVP rates available for the whole month of Jan. It may have changed since you looked, tho.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:57 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Just sent in my $10 USGA renewal. Better safe than sorry.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Just checked in at the SF Hilton Union Square, MVP rate. The only discussion at the desk was over whether a mini-suite on 19 was better than a room on 43 with a view.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:26 pm

I am hopeful that there will continue to be no change in actual practice (i.e., never proof of a "sports affiliation" required). But given Hilton's always-excellent way of rolling out changes and communicating to its hotels, I will keep the card in my wallet as insurance.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I am hopeful that there will continue to be no change in actual practice (i.e., never proof of a "sports affiliation" required). But given Hilton's always-excellent way of rolling out changes and communicating to its hotels, I will keep the card in my wallet as insurance.
I hear you. I don't expect to ever be asked. The chains that I stay at (Hilton, DoubleTree, Hampton, HGI) never ask me, though who's to say that an unfamiliar chain to me, like Homewood, won't ask in the future. I'll have my American Poolplayers Association membership card with me just in case.

(Yes, APA membership was 2.5x the cost of USGA though I couldn't bring myself to support golf when I know nothing about it. I didn't want to live a lie. I need to create my own story and feel comfortable about myself. )
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by Ruhr
(Yes, APA membership was 2.5x the cost of USGA though I couldn't bring myself to support golf when I know nothing about it. I didn't want to live a lie. I need to create my own story and feel comfortable about myself. )
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
Just checked in at the SF Hilton Union Square, MVP rate. The only discussion at the desk was over whether a mini-suite on 19 was better than a room on 43 with a view.
When did you book the reservation? I think the change in verbiage occurred in the last week or two, so I would be curious if the old non-sports related verbiage was attached to your reservation?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Perhaps an online photo badge maker would be even better?

http://www.easyidcard.com

A one-time purchase not recurring membership charges, and with your photo on it.

Last edited by backdoc; Dec 20, 2015 at 7:02 pm
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:45 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Language on a California Hilton for MVP booking now:

MVP PROGRAM HHONORS NUMBER AND SPORTS AFFILIATION ID REQUIRED FOR BOOKING AND CHECK IN.

Same for Hilton Garden Inn.

As I posted before, they are cracking down on use of this... as others have pointed out enforcement will vary.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Language on a California Hilton for MVP booking now:

MVP PROGRAM HHONORS NUMBER AND SPORTS AFFILIATION ID REQUIRED FOR BOOKING AND CHECK IN.

Same for Hilton Garden Inn.

As I posted before, they are cracking down on use of this... as others have pointed out enforcement will vary.
Same language for HGI in New Orleans. It was not like this a few weeks ago when I booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.