Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cynicor
I don't quite think Ithaa is as booked out as they/whoever purports, unless it's gotten a lot busier. When I last went in late 2015 I could get tables for dinner and lunch whenever I wanted during my stay. That was 18 months ago now, though.
Believe me, it is. They wouldn't be having two lunch sessions if it wasn't. The place has vastly more Chinese throughout the year than they used to and they all want to eat there.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
I just don't agree, and I usually agree with everything you post!

First off, if you're going to the Maldives and not snorkeling, then how exactly are you spending your time?.
We have been to the Maldives 6 times (3 times in Rangali), on average 10 days each trip, and i have never snorkelled in my life.

That said, whilst I have been to all the nice dinners and restaurants on Rangali, I don't see the attraction of Itaah. We did the cocktails but I have never been tempted with lunch or dinner there.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Ha, agree with this 100%. Cocktails were enough. Checked it off the list.
Originally Posted by silvergirl
I don't see the attraction of Itaah. We did the cocktails but I have never been tempted with lunch or dinner there.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:14 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
My review of Retreat Water Villa 421 is now up!

REVIEW - Conrad Maldives : Retreat Water Villa

As always, comments/ critiques/ wild adulation are welcome.

Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:33 pm

Another fantastic review Jarvis. It really took me back to when my wife and I were upgraded to the Presidential Villa at Conrad Bora Bora. With such a nice room, I saw no reason to go anywhere. We ate all but 3 meals in our room on a 5 night stay for comparison. I think you just helped finalize our room choice.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Well done, Jermyn. Great report. Making another visit in a few weeks. Can't wait.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Wow your trip reports are amazing. Can't wait for the next installment!

Originally Posted by Jermyn

Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:22 am

Another great review, is this now loaded on your own blog as I didn't get sent a notification via your newsletter sign Up?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by brodielayne
Another fantastic review Jarvis. It really took me back to when my wife and I were upgraded to the Presidential Villa at Conrad Bora Bora. With such a nice room, I saw no reason to go anywhere. We ate all but 3 meals in our room on a 5 night stay for comparison. I think you just helped finalize our room choice.
Wow brodielayne. I just had a look at your former room. Damn.

I'd be really interested in hearing your comparisons of Bora Bora vs Rangali. I imagine they'll be somewhat influenced by your spectacular upgrade but very useful nonetheless

It did initially seem weird to me but with the RWV I felt like I'd been upgraded to the point where visiting a restaurant would be an active downgrade to my experience!

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Well done, Jermyn. Great report. Making another visit in a few weeks. Can't wait.
Thanks Abidjan. Have an awesome trip!

Originally Posted by freeloader
Wow your trip reports are amazing. Can't wait for the next installment!
Thanks for the kind words freeloader, I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. I'm hoping to get at least one more post up before I fly to Oman next week

Originally Posted by Tilly71
Another great review, is this now loaded on your own blog as I didn't get sent a notification via your newsletter sign Up?
Thanks Tilly71! The link above was to my blog, the email went out at 1:40pm UK time. If you send me a PM with your email address I'll check to make sure nothing went wrong, although I suspect I've ended up on the trash heap as the result of an overzealous spam filter
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Jermyn

As usual, more great pics. Brings back memories of our comped 3 nights in 409 earlier this year! Congrats on 421!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Dive schedule: IIRC and from Feb 16, two morning dives go out between 8:30 and 9 (sorry I don't remember which) back around 12:30 or 1; afternoon dive sometime between 2:30 and 3 back 5-ish. It's a race to get to Vilu before they stop serving free drinks. (I suppose I could go dripping wet and salty) Afternoon dives somewhere close Manta Point, Rangali Outside, Inside, South or the house reef.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Gold / IHG Platinum Ambassador / HHonors Diamond
Booked as Diamond - Didn't requalify

Hi,

I'm staying at the Conrad Rangali in the coming months, I booked a Diamond Award 5 night stay but have dropped my status since. I remember in the past when this happened that my Diamond benefits were still honoured, I wondered if this would still be the case?

Clearly on Rangali they are worth quite a bit so am considering taking out a UK AMEX Platinum card just before I travel to gain Hilton Gold status, then cancel the card upon my return to get the pro-rata refund on the membership fee.

Any advice or experience most welcome!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
My 26-part report on our Dubai/Maldives trip concluded today with the publishing of my direct comparison: Park Hyatt Maldives VS. Conrad Maldives.

Ultimately:
Our trip was exactly what I had hoped for: a mix of romantic ambience, enjoyable activities, excellent food and beautiful scenery all around. As you can see from the above, these two resorts are pretty evenly matched, and I wish I could say definitively you should choose one over the other. As far as diving and snorkeling, if you want to see a healthier reef and ecosystem, the Hyatt is the place to be. But if you want to see more fish and marine life, you should check out the Conrad.
I would be more likely to recommend the Hyatt to a couple on their honeymoon who wanted a stress-free romantic getaway and I would push a family or a couple that wanted to try a variety of activities in a tropical paradise towards the Conrad. But at the end of the day I recommend you try them both!

Hope you all enjoy. Comments/questions/suggestions welcome.
Joe

Last edited by joecool1885; Sep 18, 2017 at 4:39 pm
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:38 am

Hilton always honour status on stays booked via them, be it award or paid, so you will be fine.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Cynicor
Hilton always honour status on stays booked via them, be it award or paid, so you will be fine.
Not according to the T&C and not in many folks' experience. However Rangali can be lax on this so I've heard, and I guess especially if you're a multiple returning ex-Diamond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.