Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:29 am

Looking forward to the read!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jermyn

Awesome review!!

Sounds like the Beach Villa with open view near the Dive Centre would suit our needs as well.

Which room # did you get?

While we have 2 nights in a BV, the other 2 are in a Superior Water Villa.

Where you able to check out that area at all? It seems very far from the dive center.. Do you think we are better off trying to change to a different Over Water Villa?

Stunning photographer by the way ^
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enwhycee
Awesome review!!

Sounds like the Beach Villa with open view near the Dive Centre would suit our needs as well.

Where you able to check out that area at all? It seems very far from the dive center.. Do you think we are better off trying to change to a different Over Water Villa?

I'd stick with your current plan. BV then SWV. Water Villa's are probably a 10-15 min walk to the dive center or an even shorter time via buggy or boat ride.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by reyam1105
I need a little help with dining selection. I'll be arriving to Conrad on a Saturday morning and there through Wednesday morning (4 nights). It is for our honeymoon so the resort has offered us one complimentary dinner meal. We are also doing Ithaa on one of the days (planning for lunch).

I have HH Gold so I believe the breakfast buffet is included? What should I do about the other meals? Any restaurants that are recommended? Any ways to "save money" on the meals? I know Conrad is expensive, so wherever I can save a dime, that would be nice. My friend suggested we pack a lot of snacks and have it carry us over through dinner. Thoughts?

Thank!
MaldivesFreak has a few good suggestions, however if I may add;

Have your complimentary breakfast at both Atoll and Vilu; we prefer the latter.

For dinner; we found the Lobster and Champagne dinner on the beach just good. The buffet they set up offers an extensive range of choices and would be good enough for a majority of guests, however the lobster wasn't as great as we hoped it to be. We paid US$175 per person plus taxes for the meal option only (it was iirc $260 with the champagne option.). The setting on the beach is great though, thoroughly enjoyed sitting there. What I would do is in lieu of this is go to Sunset Grill and choose the lobster main course there

We didn't get around to it but when we return, we definitely will do the dinner option in the wine cellar / bunker located next to Vilu.

So if I had 4 nights - Ithaa, Mandhoo (honeymoon meal), the wine cellar, then Sunset Grill.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
I'd stick with your current plan. BV then SWV. Water Villa's are probably a 10-15 min walk to the dive center or an even shorter time via buggy or boat ride.
Ok good to know.

I actually have it now as 3 nights SWV, then 2 nights BV.

Is there any reason why I should do them in the reverse order?

What's the quickest/cheapest way to just spend a few minutes in Ithaa for a couple pictures?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal

So if I had 4 nights - Ithaa, Mandhoo (honeymoon meal), the wine cellar, then Sunset Grill.
Do you have to reserve ALL of these a few days beforehand. Or is it possible to reserve the day of?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:27 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Awesome review!!

Thanks, better late than never!
Ours was 208 but as I mentioned in the review, unless the noise issue has been fixed I'd be looking to pick a different end unit on the reef side.

If you like to dive, I assume you'll want to snorkel too. For that I think the consensus is that the RWVs are the best OWVs. Although there are others here who are better qualified to comment.

As you can see from the video I posted, there is always something going on just beneath the RWVs.

Outside of snorkelling I much prefer the quiet island though, I will be giving a full rundown of the public spaces on both islands soon.

Whichever OWV you pick, you'll need a buggy to get you to the dive centre unless you have plenty of time to spare.

Oh stop it, she'll get a big head
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Jermyn
Well, it's been over a year since my trip but I finally started writing the TR!
The smell of Aromatherapy Associates body lotion is now inextricably linked to the Maldives, in my mind, as a result of this stay.
We've got the same addiction as you, only with their soap. It's my Maldives heroin.

Bear in mind this is what 99% occupancy looks like at 11am.
Great. Just great!

Secondly, the sand looks good in photos, it has a really white shade to it as a result of the large amount of coral it contains. However, it is not soft. It is coarse and grainy and not particularly comfortable to lie or sit on. The sand at the beach in my birthplace of Valencia in Spain is considerably more soft and powdery. If you’re expecting sand like talcum powder, you won’t get it here.
If you go to The Quiet Zone, for example, the sand there is pretty good. Not as good as Iru Fushi or perhaps your hometown, but close. There are other places at Rangali which have good sand but yes, quite a lot of places the house reef beach are pretty nasty to walk on barefoot.

Nice review overall. ^
I suppose I should get to doing mine (of this years' trip) but I just don't have the time to set aside to do a proper TR.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:57 am

Small wiki update to correct the URL of the 360Tourist tour and added the new one I mentioned a few pages back (the one which is now linked to on the resort's official website).
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Good question regarding the waiver. Best to email the resort. If you do, could you please reply here and let us know the answer and I'll put it into the wiki. TIA.
To follow-up on this, Conrad confirm to me that either the parent or guardian can sign the waiver form for OWV. So this is not restricted to parental consent only

I think I read or heard somewhere that it is free for kids but only at Atoll Market. It's the only outlet that doesn't have a kids menu. But don't take that for gospel.
Originally Posted by gnomey
So it seems like based on various DP, it is free for kids to eat, as long as
- eating happens at Atoll market
- meal is breakfast or dinner buffet
?
As for kids eating free meal or scraps from floor, I was told that the kids can order from kids menu FOC when eating at a’la carte restaurants. Out of the list here, http://conradhotels3.hilton.com/en/h...staurants.html , how many and which ones are considered a’la carte restaurants ?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:39 pm

I'd stick with your current plan. BV then SWV.
+1

Water Villa's are probably a 10-15 min walk to the dive center or an even shorter time via buggy or boat ride.
If you are staying in a SWV, then it will take you at least 15 min by foot to get to the Dive Centre, 20 if you walk slowly. It's only a 3-4 min ride by buggy and about 5 min by dhoni plus about a 3-4 min walk (but the dhoni leaves about every 12-15 min so allow for the waiting time).

Do you think we are better off trying to change to a different Over Water Villa?
If I was going to snorkel for a couple of hours every day I would consider a change from the SWV to a RWV but in your case (honeymoon) the sunset and unobstructed view from the SWV would be missed out on should you choose not to stay in one. IMO stick with the SWV because it'll really be worth it for your honeymoon.

Is there any reason why I should do them in the reverse order?
Most definitely. Beach villas offer nothing different from your normal resort (bar the outdoor showers) as they are on land just like everything else is. OWVs have that special position and so most people who are new to this kind of villa end up preferring to start with the basics and then move on to something more interesting and exclusive as their stay progresses.

Re: Ithaa, Mandhoo, The Wine Cellar & Sunset Grill
Do you have to reserve ALL of these a few days beforehand. Or is it possible to reserve the day of?
Chances are high you won't get a table on the same day at any of those except Mandhoo (only sometimes fully booked). Same goes for Vilu as well. Book 2 weeks in advance for Ithaa and 2-3 days in advance for the rest except for The Wine Cellar where I'd advise to book a week before.

What's the quickest/cheapest way to just spend a few minutes in Ithaa for a couple pictures?
Cocktails.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:02 pm

To follow-up on this, Conrad confirm to me that either the parent or guardian can sign the waiver form for OWV. So this is not restricted to parental consent only
Great, thanks. I'll add that to the wiki.

As for kids eating free meal or scraps from floor, I was told that the kids can order from kids menu FOC when eating at a’la carte restaurants. Out of the list here, http://conradhotels3.hilton.com/en/h...staurants.html , how many and which ones are considered a’la carte restaurants ?
Interesting, that.....because there's only 1 a’la carte restaurant and we all know which one it is.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
As for kids eating free meal or scraps from floor, I was told that the kids can order from kids menu FOC when eating at a’la carte restaurants.
Told by whom? As I wrote up-thread, we always had to pay for our daughter's (kids) meals. The only time her food was free was at breakfast at Atoll Market.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:08 pm

Interesting, that.....because there's only 1 a’la carte restaurant and we all know which one it is.
Oops. I guess Atoll Market it is then. Wait, but AM is buffet style, right? So i am confused now

Originally Posted by goliath
Told by whom? As I wrote up-thread, we always had to pay for our daughter's (kids) meals. The only time her food was free was at breakfast at Atoll Market.
Conrad. I dont know, the information seems inconsistent (to what you guys experienced). Which is why I tried to find out through official channels by emailing them here [email protected]
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:34 pm

Oops. I guess Atoll Market it is then. Wait, but AM is buffet style, right? So i am confused now
I was just kidding around. Half of the outlets are a’la carte. Atoll is buffet for dinner as well. I suppose we just have to take their word for it.

And goliath, I think you need to ask for credit on your upcoming stay! You got a rough deal, mate.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Sep 11, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.