Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
My 26-part report on our Dubai/Maldives trip concluded today with the publishing of my direct comparison: Park Hyatt Maldives VS. Conrad Maldives.

Ultimately:
Our trip was exactly what I had hoped for: a mix of romantic ambience, enjoyable activities, excellent food and beautiful scenery all around. As you can see from the above, these two resorts are pretty evenly matched, and I wish I could say definitively you should choose one over the other. As far as diving and snorkeling, if you want to see a healthier reef and ecosystem, the Hyatt is the place to be. But if you want to see more fish and marine life, you should check out the Conrad.
I would be more likely to recommend the Hyatt to a couple on their honeymoon who wanted a stress-free romantic getaway and I would push a family or a couple that wanted to try a variety of activities in a tropical paradise towards the Conrad. But at the end of the day I recommend you try them both!

Hope you all enjoy. Comments/questions/suggestions welcome.
Joe
Nice comparison! I've sent you a PM with a couple of suggestions.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:26 am

MF- pretty sure it's in the T and Cs as being a thing. It's been my experience around the world but I'll look it up soon. It's one of the best features of HH and SPG.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:35 am

From T and C. It further defines any reward stay as a stay, doubly outlining it.
so your benefits should always be honoured on award stays and if not you should complain.
  • On-property benefits are not awarded in the following circumstances:
    • Reservations booked through a non-Hilton-direct booking channel or a non-designated GDS, third party website or any other channel,
    • Rates available on "opaque" websites where the hotel brand and specific hotel are not known until the booking is made, or
    • Third party hotel packages or travel packages not booked through one of the eligible channels.
    • Booking ineligible stays, (as defined in the Accrual of Points section) unless hotel contract has specific benefits included.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cynicor
From T and C. It further defines any reward stay as a stay, doubly outlining it.
so your benefits should always be honoured on award stays and if not you should complain.
The question in post #2920 was not whether status would be honoured on award stays or not.

The question was whether status would be honoured if status only existed when making the booking, but has expired between booking and staying. @:-)
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Cynicor
MF- pretty sure it's in the T and Cs as being a thing. It's been my experience around the world but I'll look it up soon. It's one of the best features of HH and SPG.

Hilton Honors Amenities for all Members, including Blue, Silver Elite, Gold Elite, and Diamond Elite Members

A number of services and benefits ('Amenities') are available to Members of Hilton Honors. These Amenities are offered solely at the discretion of Hilton Honors and the individual hotel. Not all Amenities are provided by all hotels within the Hilton Portfolio.
It then goes on to say

Diamond Elite Membership
2. Diamond Elite Members will receive the following during stays as a registered Diamond Elite Member: .....
(and that applies to Gold and Silver alike) so basically, you have to be of a certain tier to get that tier's benefits and those benefits are at the discretion of the hotel. That's according to the T&C but, as you know, hotels can override this and give perks to members even if they are not entitled to them.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Sep 19, 2017 at 6:07 am
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:22 am

Two weeks to go - arriving in 14 days.

I wanted to pick up the conversation about "kids eat for free":

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
I think I read or heard somewhere that it is free for kids but only at Atoll Market. It's the only outlet that doesn't have a kids menu. But don't take that for gospel.
Originally Posted by gnomey
So it seems like based on various DP, it is free for kids to eat, as long as

- eating happens at Atoll market
- meal is breakfast or dinner buffet

?

This seems to match the information here https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...MV-MLE-6680629 but they are talking more abt half board vs full board though. I doubt all the posters above were on half board and full board plan. so I guess the same rule applies throughout regardless of whether you are on meal plan.

• Half board - includes a buffet dinner in Atoll Market restaurant. All beverages are at additional cost. A USD $100 credit per adult will apply for the other restaurants should you wish to dine around. Please note that no credit will be offered in the Rangali Bar, Quiet Zone or for in villa dining. Children under 12 receive complimentary dinner when with parents at Atoll Market restaurant only. A 50% discount is offered from the adult a la carte menu for children aged 6-11 years old; children under 6 years eat for free.

• Full Board – guests booking this option will receive ‘Premium Full Board’ which includes lunch and dinner, both with unlimited beverages served during meals (house wines, beers, non-alcoholic soft beverages and a cocktail selection). This includes a three course lunch in either the Mandhoo Restaurant or in Ufaa by Jereme Lang, dinner is included at the Atoll Market (buffet) or a credit of US$75 per person per night may be applied to food (no credit will be given at the Rangali Bar, Quiet Zone or in villa dining and no credit will be offered for lunch). Children eat free of charge from the children’s menu, a 50% discount is offered from the adult a la carte menu for children aged 6-11 years old; children under six years old eat for free.
[...]

As for kids eating free meal or scraps from floor, I was told that the kids can order from kids menu FOC when eating at a’la carte restaurants. Out of the list here, http://conradhotels3.hilton.com/en/h...staurants.html , how many and which ones are considered a’la carte restaurants ?
Originally Posted by goliath
Told by whom? As I wrote up-thread, we always had to pay for our daughter's (kids) meals. The only time her food was free was at breakfast at Atoll Market.
[...]

Conrad. I dont know, the information seems inconsistent (to what you guys experienced). Which is why I tried to find out through official channels by emailing them here [email protected]
Since we always paid for kids meals (our little one was under 6, then), I e-mailed Conrad and asked for their actual policy. Their reply was:

When parents pay for dinner the children can dine for free in the á la carte restaurants when eating from the kids menu.

A 50% discount will be offered from the adult á la carte menu for children aged 6-11 years old.

Children aged 0-5.99 years eat for free in our restaurants with paying parents
^

Our daughter is 6 now, so we should get 50% off - I'll report how it works in practice this time.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:52 am

Two weeks to go - arriving in 14 days.

I wanted to pick up the conversation about "kids eat for free":

Since we always paid for kids meals (our little one was under 6, then), I e-mailed Conrad and asked for their actual policy. Their reply was:

^

Our daughter is 6 now, so we should get 50% off - I'll report how it works in practice this time.
Woot, have a good trip and report back! I figured they would know the age of kids since everyone has to show their passport, right, at check in ? so if you are borderline 5-6 then unlikely you can end up in the first group and eat for free
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:16 am

Ah, I was answering whether it would be beneficial/honoured, as your reply was a bit ambiguous. There is no way a hotel should honour status when booked and not when the stay is actually taken, so if they do then that is goodwill only. Wouldn't risk it myself, as they said, it's a lot of $ of benefit.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:22 am

I figured they would know the age of kids since everyone has to show their passport, right, at check in ?
They now require you to submit a scan or photo of your passport well before arrival. Most likely a requirement set by the Maldivian government.

so if you are borderline 5-6 then unlikely you can end up in the first group and eat for free
They will be strict on this and will let kids eat for free until their 6th birthday.

Great. Thanks goliath. Wish you have a great time!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
They now require you to submit a scan or photo of your passport well before arrival. Most likely a requirement set by the Maldivian government.
Nobody has asked us for passport scans yet.... Maybe they don't do it for returning guests?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:31 am

Children aged 0-5.99 years eat for free in our restaurants with paying parents
Technically this means that if the parents pay for a dish (each?), they can then order at least one dish from the menu in any restaurant (except Atoll Market and set menus like Ithaa, Beach BBQs etc) for each of their children under 6 and it will not be charged for.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:33 am

Nobody has asked us for passport scans yet.... Maybe they don't do it for returning guests?
Right, because they either have it on file from another Conrad property or from your first visit to Rangali.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:57 am

@BarryLincoln: Thanks for your TR contribution to the wiki. I have replaced the bit.ly URL with the full URL as bit.ly links are blocked by the Great Firewall of China and so many users here won't be able to view them without a proxy.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Neither of us are wild about the seaplane. Is the only other option to time our arrival into MLE after 4pm so that the transfer is on the local plane and boat? I assume we would require a late departure to have a similar set-up upon leaving too?

I am looking at QR 674 as one pathway in but it lands at 315pm which is too early to default to the non-seaplane option.

Cost isn't the issue (not trying to avoid the $$$ - just trying to avoid the seaplane but the private charter boat is a non-starter since it would certainly break the bank).

Our other option is the PH but my lack of status at Hyatt and Diamond status at Hilton has pushed me to pursue the Conrad if at all possible.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Neither of us are wild about the seaplane. Is the only other option to time our arrival into MLE after 4pm so that the transfer is on the local plane and boat? I assume we would require a late departure to have a similar set-up upon leaving too?
I'm sure you can send them an e-mail and they will set you up for your preferred option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.