Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
I understand 3rd party charges (seaplane and watersports) don't count for points, but if you use your HH Amex I assume you do get those points as it all charges through the Conrad?
As everything was billed to the room I got 10 points per $ including seaplane transfer!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Is there anything worth seeing in the city of Male? I usually enjoy seeing how the locals live before heading to resorts when I can. Could I land at the airport, catch the ferry from the terminal to Male, take a few hours to go see the town, head back, and then catch the seaplane to the Conrad?
You could do that but take my word for it, there's nothing at all to see (as you can see from that pic). If you'd like to experience how the Maldivians live, I recommend doing the Fishing Village tour from Rangali.

Originally Posted by Jermyn
Funny you should mention clothing. A few people have written to me recently, asking me how I decide what to wear when I travel. I've been meaning to write a post about that for a while.
My girlfriend is more than interested and we're looking forward to it. Maybe I'll post some pics of her at Ithaa in the dresses she wore if anyone's interested. It's not an easy place to dress for bar plain white attire.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by alp67
As everything was billed to the room I got 10 points per $ including seaplane transfer!
Nice one! Was this just recently?

Just buy the points you need with 2018 Daily Getaways promotion. It's in April and perfect timing for your Dec vacation planning.
Is this sale worldwide? Just curious as some of the advantages you can get at Hilton are restricted to US residents.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Nice one! Was this just recently?
eehhhm, sort of...; Feb 2017

Is this sale worldwide? Just curious as some of the advantages you can get at Hilton are restricted to US residents.
it basically is restricted to the US, but there's an easy way to get around this.
I did buy points during the last two promotions both for HH and IHG and live in Europe. If someone's interested in just PM me and I send you details on how to.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
eehhhm, sort of...; Feb 2017
We got points for everything as well in 2014 and 2016.

it basically is restricted to the US, but there's an easy way to get around this.
I did buy points during the last two promotions both for HH and IHG and live in Europe. If someone's interested in just PM me and I send you details on how to.
There is a dedicated thread here every year where you can find the info regarding buying from outside of the US as well. Here are the most recent two:

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2017

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2016

I've been doing it for many years now, always with credit cards with billing addresses in Europe. Never had any issues with the payment.

Two thirds of our time here have passed already, we have moved to RWV 41x now and still enjoy doing nothing... The weather has been good so far, with only a couple minutes of rain here and there in the first 5 days, then the last 5 days it was mostly sunny with clear skies, 30...32°C - only the occasional bit of rain during the night. The weather forecast for the next couple of days is very good as well: sunny and mostly clear skies. ^
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by goliath
We arrived yesterday and are currently in BV 21x, will be in this BV for a total of 5 nights before moving to a RVW for the remainder of our stay.

The weather wasn't too great yesterday with rain and winds. We had to wait in the Conrad lounge for ~3 hours for our flight due to the weather. They say it has been like this for a week now.

After torrential rainfall during the night, today was much nicer with a mix of sun and clouds at about 30° C and only 1 minute of rain. ^

A few initial impressions:

• The renovated BVs are a huge improvement over the old style BVs ^^
  • The beach on the sunrise side of Rangali island (in the 200s) has massively increased compared to our last visit 18 months ago (i.e. 25...30 meters wide now compared to 5m to "almost gone" in some places then) ^
  • There is a new executive chef that has started 6 weeks ago, I talked to him today at the manager's reception and he is planning some changes. We were told on arrival that "everything" had changed at the Atoll Market breakfast buffet as of yesterday. However, I only noticed very minor changes, and most of them were negative (you can't pour yourself a glass of water any more - you have to order it, the bubbly was gone as well...)
  • The kids pool is under renovation, supposedly until Oct, 5 (not sure about that date by the looks of it, we'll see)
  • The new bridge and construction site for the new underwater suite is another setback for the view on the sunrise side of Rangali island (in addition to the recent additions of the 3rd island bridge and the "sand bags").

We haven't been to any restaurants yet (too tired yesterday, not hungry anymore today after afternoon tea at Mandhoo, happy hour at Vilu and manager's reception at the Quiet zone... )

I'll report back with more news and observations later.

We're here until Oct, 18 as well.
Please post photos of your villa and the beach.....thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:00 am

Just buy the points you need with 2018 Daily Getaways promotion. It's in April and perfect timing for your Dec vacation planning.
Not 100% sure whether Hilton will be in there or not but they used to be the last couple of years.
Or use one of the many points sales where you can accumulate 160'000 points very easily. Your AMEX points might be more useful on other occassions?

Regarding availabilty 4-5 months out I had trouble finding award space in April 2017 for Feb 2018 for the dates I wanted. One or two out of 7 weren't available so I emailed CR. They happily opened up award space and asked me to call Honors and make the booking there even no availabilty was shown. CR cannot make point bookings on their own. I rang up Honors, they called CR and confirmed my dates. Couple of weeks later online award availability was wide open... So you never know, space comes and goes sometimes.
With the current Amex to Virgin Atlantic transfer bonus, getting Hilton points using Amex is now a better deal. Definitely better than going MR to Honors directly. You get a 30% bonus when transferring to VS and then VS transfers to Honors at 2:3. So 50k Amex points is 97.5k Honors points using this method.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:42 pm

There is a dedicated thread here every year where you can find the info regarding buying from outside of the US as well. Here are the most recent two:

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2017

U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2016

I've been doing it for many years now, always with credit cards with billing addresses in Europe. Never had any issues with the payment.
Thanks mate. ^

Two thirds of our time here have passed already, we have moved to RWV 41x now and still enjoy doing nothing... The weather has been good so far, with only a couple minutes of rain here and there in the first 5 days, then the last 5 days it was mostly sunny with clear skies, 30...32°C - only the occasional bit of rain during the night. The weather forecast for the next couple of days is very good as well: sunny and mostly clear skies. ^
Great to see it's been such great weather for you. Actually I'm hoping for 2 or 3 days of continuous rain when we go for a month at the end of next year. Not sure we'll get it as we're planning a December stay but cross my fingers. Should be interesting to do everything in the rain.....well, apart from travelling to and from the villa.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:09 pm

How many days is that? You haven't mentioned this yet.
use points for 5 nights stay.

Canadian or US?
US.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:58 am

Programs: QF Platinum - SQ PPS - HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, ShangriLa Jade
Hi,

We arrive in Male at 10PM. Rather than waste a day at Conrad, we'll stay the night in a Male hotel.
Any recommendations for a respectable hotel near the airport?
I do have free nights at Hotel Jen is that doable for a 10PM arrival given its a boat ride away?
Any other recommendations for 2 adults, 2 young children?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by nattino
use points for 5 nights stay.

US.
Hi Nattino
I am very new to the forum and I've been reading your post recently about your booking at Conrad Maldives during Holiday season. I would love to ask some information about your booking, is there anyway i can contact you off line please? I am also in US. Thanks for your time!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by richtravel
Hi,

We arrive in Male at 10PM. Rather than waste a day at Conrad, we'll stay the night in a Male hotel.
I do have free nights at Hotel Jen is that doable for a 10PM arrival given its a boat ride away?

We stayed at Hotel Ocean Grand. It's a small place, but really close to the airport and they come and will pick you up. Breakfast was included the next day. Definitely give it a look.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Hotel Jen is the best Hotel in Male, not far away from the boat dock (walking distance), but they will pick you up with a car.
Boat ride takes only 10 minutes from the Airport to Male City and leaves every 10 minutes, so no need to worry that it will take hours to get to the Jen Hotel.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
We are going next May, arriving on the 26th for 10 days, requested upgrade prices and received this

Upgrade from Beach Villa to Water Villa US$ 294 + 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night.

Upgrade from Beach Villa to Deluxe Beach Villa US$ 367.50 + 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night.

Upgrade from Beach Villa to Superior Water Villa US$ 367.50 + 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night.

Upgrade from Beach Villa to Retreat Water Villa US$ 588 + 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night.

Upgrade from Beach Villa to Deluxe Water Villa US$ 735+ 10% service charge + 12% T GST per night.

Able to get them down to 210++ for the SWV, which falls in line with the low season prices.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by richtravel
Hi,

If you don't / can't get a room in Jen for whatever reason, Hotel Octave is one we've stayed at 5 times now. It's another 5 minutes by car from the Jen but I recommend it. It's good value for money and we've never had any problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.