Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Jermyn
For me personally the Quiet Island comes far closer to embodying the spirit of a Maldivian holiday. Whilst I appreciate that there are plenty of large facilities on the main island that people enjoy, I consider everything outside of the overwater area and the house reef as a 'necessary evil'.
I like the frank writing style. Bloggers rarely call out the shortcomings of a Maldivian resort (apart from Hilary Stockton complaining about fruit juice not being freshly squeezed); I usually only see critical posts on forums. Honest reviews may not be as easy to sell to the hotels, airlines, and banks, but I appreciate them!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: OVER ENTITLED United 1K 2MM HHonors Diamond ICH Club Platinum Marriott Gold
Tom pretty much summed it up

Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
They have 2 small catamarans with 2 sails, I think it is the Hobie Cat Wave. They are free of charge, at your first time you have to go with one of the staff of the watersports center, to show that you are able to sail the boat.
For beginners it is quiet nice, you can also book a 1 or 2 hour lesson.
If you are an advanced sailor, it might be a bit boring, as you are restricted to the area between the 2 bridges. So no sailing around the island.
Tom pretty much summed it up. The catamarans are small and can hold 2 to 3 people. They don't have a harness, or at least I didn't ask as it was never windy enough to warrant one.

It is beautiful to go sailing in the lagoon, but the area is pretty small. They don't let you leave the protected waters, but that's probably for good reason.

It is free and that is a big bonus. Worth a try for an hour or so...if it is windy.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
Wow, sounds like you manage to 'bargain' a good deal. Good MO. Did you upgrade for the entire stay tho? (ie. many days, so perhaps that's why they are more inclined to accept the lower offer from you)
Entire Stay, but I did not mention the duration in the beginning. My initial plan was if they made another counteroffer, I would break the stay into BV and WV.

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Thanks for the rates. Will add to the wiki if necessary. What are the dates you are staying?
Thanksgiving 2017.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:39 am

Thanks for the rates. Will add to the wiki if necessary. What are the dates you are staying?
Thanksgiving 2017.

(sorry, I do not know how to delete the message)
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Jermyn
Slowly but surely... the next part of my trip report is up.
Getting slightly more esoteric with this segment, I hope you all enjoy it nonetheless:

A comparison of The Main Island and the Quiet Island at the Conrad Maldives

For me personally the Quiet Island comes far closer to embodying the spirit of a Maldivian holiday. Whilst I appreciate that there are plenty of large facilities on the main island that people enjoy, I consider everything outside of the overwater area and the house reef as a 'necessary evil'.

I can't imagine that I'm the only person that feels this way...
+1. This is one thing that makes Conrad Rangali special. If you wish to, you can spend a lot of, or even most of your time on Rangalifinolhu; in your OWV, at Vilu and the bar, the Wine Cellar, The Quiet Zone etc, and then there are Koko Grill and the beach dinners, and it still feels isolated and like you're almost the only people there. You don't have to visit the main island if you don't want to.

And my girlfriend and I have to applaud you on three points. Your pics are always great. Second, every single one of them has the horizon perfectly level (FEI, check out TA to see what I mean) and your dress sense for the location is excellent. ^
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by nattino
Entire Stay
How many days is that? You haven't mentioned this yet.

Thanksgiving 2017.
Canadian or US?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by tom-schmitt
They have 2 small catamarans with 2 sails, I think it is the Hobie Cat Wave. They are free of charge, at your first time you have to go with one of the staff of the watersports center, to show that you are able to sail the boat.
For beginners it is quiet nice, you can also book a 1 or 2 hour lesson.
If you are an advanced sailor, it might be a bit boring, as you are restricted to the area between the 2 bridges. So no sailing around the island.
Thank you for the information! Did they have lasers as well, or only Hobies? Either way it's nice to get out on the water and sail around a little bit.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
We're booked for early February!

We arrive in Male and are spending the night at a hotel near the airport since we would have arrived too late for the seaplane. Depart after lunch on the departure day and then head right to Sri Lanka for a short tour.

Upgrade prices provided were as follows:
Beach Villa to Deluxe Beach Villa USD360.00 + tax per night additional
Beach Villa to Water Villa USD288.00 + tax per night additional
Beach Villa to Superior Water Villa USD360.00 + tax per night additional
Beach Villa to Deluxe Water Villa USD720.00 + tax per night additional
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:16 pm

Good decision to overnight in MLE. The more time you can spend in paradise the better.
Thanks for the upgrade quotes. Will add to the wiki if necessary.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:24 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by lhrhappy
I like the frank writing style. Bloggers rarely call out the shortcomings of a Maldivian resort (apart from Hilary Stockton complaining about fruit juice not being freshly squeezed); I usually only see critical posts on forums. Honest reviews may not be as easy to sell to the hotels, airlines, and banks, but I appreciate them!
Thanks lhrhappy, I guess one of the advantages of having a resolutely non-commercial blog is that I can (and do) say whatever the hell I like

+1. This is one thing that makes Conrad Rangali special. If you wish to, you can spend a lot of, or even most of your time on Rangalifinolhu; in your OWV, at Vilu and the bar, the Wine Cellar, The Quiet Zone etc, and then there are Koko Grill and the beach dinners, and it still feels isolated and like you're almost the only people there. You don't have to visit the main island if you don't want to.
Sounds perfect to me!

And my girlfriend and I have to applaud you on three points. Your pics are always great. Second, every single one of them has the horizon perfectly level (FEI, check out TA to see what I mean) and your dress sense for the location is excellent. ^
Thanks so much for the kind words MaldivesFreak. I just invested in a new camera, so hopefully the pics will keep getting better! I tested it out in Oman two weeks ago and manged to get some pretty decent shots at the Chedi and Alila, which I've posted to my instagram.

Funny you should mention clothing. A few people have written to me recently, asking me how I decide what to wear when I travel. I've been meaning to write a post about that for a while. Perhaps it'll help to break the monotony of the endless pattern of F, J, Hyatt, Hilton trip reports that I seem intent on producing
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Good decision to overnight in MLE. The more time you can spend in paradise the better.
Thanks for the upgrade quotes. Will add to the wiki if necessary.
Is there anything worth seeing in the city of Male? I usually enjoy seeing how the locals live before heading to resorts when I can. Could I land at the airport, catch the ferry from the terminal to Male, take a few hours to go see the town, head back, and then catch the seaplane to the Conrad?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:45 am

Attitudes toward foreigners are less warm than they are at the resorts. Women report that the local men leer at them. There's no alcohol anywhere.

Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
And you add up the seaplane and other costs, even with points redemption, it is still expensive IMHO.

Just wanted to add a DP for our upgrade. Below is our original offer, we are going to stay during high season (Thanksgiving):

Beach Villa to Water Villa - USD175+ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Superior Water Villa - USD245+ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Retreat Water Villa - USD385+ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Deluxe Water Villa - USD700+ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Premier Water Villa - USD980+ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Junior Beach Suite - USD1,260+ taxes per night
Beach Villa to Sunset Water Villa - USD2,520+ taxes per night

This was an offer provided in September, I waited for a month and requested politely to upgrade our BV to WV for $100++ per night (total $123.20 per night), to my surprise, I received a yes immediately.
Who did you reach out to at the Conrad Maldives? The reservation sales agent I am dealing is refusing lower the upgrade cost from what you initially were offer. We are also staying at the Conrad Maldives for Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:28 pm

Managed to request upgrade after seeing Nattino post from Beach villa to SWV for the $245 plus taxes per night (staying 10 nights in March).

I had it reduced from $350 to $300 and thought would ask if could get matched to $245 and the agent was dealing with did so !!

Thanks Nattino.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Sanya Agarwal
Hi everyone,

its my first time on here and I have an important query.

My partner and I have just started saving Honors points for a Conrad Maldives redemption middle of next year December for our honeymoon.
In total (including Amex Gold) we currently have 225,000 Hilton points. By upgrading to Platinum and doing another churn we hope to reach the 380,000 required for 5 nights by middle of next year.

My main concern here is that rewards nights could be sold out by the time we actually accumulate all the points next year. Have you had any feedback from readers about this in the past? How easy is it to get redemption for Conrad Maldives 4-5 months in advance on points?

I dont want to transfer all my Amex points to Hilton only to find out that there are no reward nights left!

Any insights will be very helpful!
Just buy the points you need with 2018 Daily Getaways promotion. It's in April and perfect timing for your Dec vacation planning.
Not 100% sure whether Hilton will be in there or not but they used to be the last couple of years.
Or use one of the many points sales where you can accumulate 160'000 points very easily. Your AMEX points might be more useful on other occassions?

Regarding availabilty 4-5 months out I had trouble finding award space in April 2017 for Feb 2018 for the dates I wanted. One or two out of 7 weren't available so I emailed CR. They happily opened up award space and asked me to call Honors and make the booking there even no availabilty was shown. CR cannot make point bookings on their own. I rang up Honors, they called CR and confirmed my dates. Couple of weeks later online award availability was wide open... So you never know, space comes and goes sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.